$2 NLHE 6-max: Bottom set facing donk/reraise-ship

T

tiltmonster12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No stats new table unknown players. Effective stack $2.
UTG fold, hero open $.06 with 2h2c, call, fold, fold, bb call.
Pot $0.19, flop 7h5h2d
BB donk $0.14, hero raise $0.45, next guy fold and BB ship.
Whats your move?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely a call. If you open 22 (what could be a fold too, because most of the time you don't hit a set and it's hard to play it postflop and you could start open with something like 55-77+, but on nl2 I think it's still ok open every PP because implied odds) and you hit a set then I never fold here. He could do such things with draws, overpairs, two pairs and any random trash because it's nl2. If he will show you a higher set, then congrats to him that he pot donked to try to fold worst hands;d

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call ever time. You only lose to a better set, and folding a set to another suspected set is heresy unless you have an absoulute dead-on read or the guy shows you his cards.

T

tiltmonster12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lola fist pump call. I did some calculation and I needed 39% equity.
I gave him a range of 77,55,TT, a suited Ace and suited opened draw and if gave me well over what I need to call. Unfortunately he did show up with a set there.

Still i remember hearing Doug Polk saying somewhere that in small stakes he will fold his small set everytime because villain will have it everytime.

So can we fold this giving up small pots and still profit in the long run?

P

panost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At nl2 i call all day, but with bottom set i like to call and not raise.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call they can easily have slow played over pairs 2 pairs and draws.If they have a better set it's just a cooler. You played the hand very well.

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everything in this game I believe player profiles dictate so much here, as was said above if you can put 77 or 55 or suited A in their range then there are absolutely fold possibilities regardless of your ROI. If you can put a hand in someone's wheelhouse you have to follow that belief and fold! But for the record I would call because I'm a don't!

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how you can fold here. You hit your set and got your stack in, nice hand.

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol.

You always call set on flop. If youre beat, your beat.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a bluff all the chips on the table, at these limits 90 percent of the players bluff without having anything. All in such advice.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should beat him into the pot. You only lose to better sets, and he could be jamming two pair, a lot of draws or maybe even an overpair, since this is 2NL, and many players are bad and will overplay a hand like 88-JJ on a low board like this. If you lost to a better set or a draw, that got there, its just a cooler.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you come in with a couple of 22?
Purpose to collect a set?
You have a set. So, you cannot reset. Resetting in such a situation is a minus game.
At this limit, they usually play a set or a flush.
The course of the rally assumes that Opp may have a flush draw or an over pair and he wants to knock you out with the bet size.
Even if he has a ready senior set, you cannot move away from your line otherwise you have tilt and your game is weak.
So you usually reason when you don’t know the nut hand draw lines.
This NL2 opponent is apparently unknown. This limit is difficult due to the mixed composition of the players.
If the opp was weak and wanted to knock out a bet, then he would push immediately.
However, he made a provocative donk bet of a fairly competent size, and when he got a tight re-raise, he played a push. So the beginner will not be able to play. Therefore, he is qualified enough, which means that he showed you the nut set on this street. In this case, calling with a lower set is not profitable. With such a NL2 draw line, bluffing is pointless.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case, calling with a lower set is not profitable. With such a NL2 draw line, bluffing is pointless.

Are you suggesting to fold a set on the flop? In that case I have to say, that I disagree. Flopping bottom set is like having KK preflop. Only 6 combos beat you, and if you dont stack off something that strong for 100BB or less, you are surely leaving money on the table long term.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you, I'd happily smash the "call" button. Probably would've been up against a higher set, because otherwise I don't see any reason to ask anything about the hand.

But yeah, running into higher set happens, and there's no point in trying to "get away from it", because you'll just end up folding your 22 here when he has 75 or 88+.
Think of it like that - this is clearly a cooler. If you're sure that you could get all his money had the roles been reversed - just move on, these things happen.

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofc all chips in the middle, every time in this board.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. Grab some extra chips from the cashier and call with those too.

I'd expect him to flip over AK, KQ or JQ of hearts most of the time. You could also be up against 68 or 89 of hearts. 57 clubs/spades/diamonds also possible.

When villain is holding 55 or 77 you just gotta lose that money.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that the donk bet makes it a little odd because what is he doing it with? However, it would still be a call for me. As was said earlier, if you are playing 22 then this is what you are hoping for. (its always going to be bottom set). If you don't want your stack in with a set of 2s then you should not be playing it pre-flop.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop and postflop decision making situations vary significantly.
How would you play preflop while being in the blinds and being an aggressive player prone to bluffing. If you HAD a range of JJ +; AD +. Did not raise in size, 0.3-0.4 $.
Op played a call. Received information. How to interpret it?
After the flop, he activates, gets a tight re-raise and pushes in response. Received information.
How can you consider this player short-sighted and think that he plays a push in bluff?
You yourself in his place, in which case after the call preflop they began to donk and push a tight re-raise?
Unless you have a 75 or 55 or 77 hand.
Then let's see the plus side of the call from 22: 1: 2 is it profitable to call? Rock Paper Scissors.
If you had not 22, but 55 then of course you call.

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely call. Most probably has an overpair or is drawing to a flush or a straight

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even vs tightest player it is a call on very low and drawy flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand that the donk bet makes it a little odd because what is he doing it with?

Usually a pair or a draw. Something that connected with the board but dont mind taking it home right there and now.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would make a protection call. We are probably ahead many times, but sometimes this board may favor the villain with post-flop implicit. I would only fold if I have a lot of information about the villain and I think he can only have the best possible hand in this flop.
Regards.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call any set 100bb deep on any non straight or non flush possible board.