$2 NLHE 6-max: awkward turn spot

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much credit do you give the btn ? Im left in an awkward spot on the turn with the btn still to act behind me.
only 13 hands on both so the relevant information is sb is a fish with 46bb and the btn likely more along the lines of a reg nit/tag/lag with a full stack.

SB: $0.92 (46 bb)
Hero (BB): $2.04 (102 bb)
BTN: $2.14 (107 bb)

SB posts $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A J
BTN raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15, 3 players) 3 2 J
SB bets $0.07, Hero calls $0.07, BTN raises to $0.26, SB calls $0.19, Hero calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.93, 3 players) 6
SB bets $0.61 and is all-in, Hero ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-handed I prefer to 3-bet AJ preflop. As played it is indeed an awkward spot, but its difficult for me to give SB credit for having something, that beat TPTK, and he is only a cap stacker. So I am calling here.

If BTN comes along and want to play for all his money, then we can fold. He is not going to be bluffing into a dry side pot, and we get to see the hands, even if we fold. But really I am hoping, BTN will fold, and if he call, that it will go check-check on the river.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I called here, I would be expecting to see sets and two pairs. Fish don't understand how to semi-bluff at this level of the microstakes.

Let's look at where we stand on the turn. We have to put in 61¢ to win 154¢ (or possibly 215¢ if BTN plays along). We need to be right 28% of the time at the worst to make this spot worthwhile long term.

We are absolutely crushed by any sets or two pairs. So we would be hoping for semi bluffs or some mediocre top pair and weak kicker. We also have to admit that the BTN isn't going to play along unless they have something too here, and they initiated the raise. Everything here screams that we are behind and we don't have much room to improve. There are better spots than this to get our money in.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is an awkward place in the flop because you are late with your call, I think the SB call puts you in a rather difficult place.
If we expect a soft game from sb, we could well include some flopped set, which is a blow to our hand.
Also if the BTN increases to 4x it is telling you that it carries a monster from that place.
I think in this situation I would call and fold on the turn. Finally I arrive 4-5 in the range of recreational villain.
Regards.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good spot for sqeeze preflop. Flop ok. Turn easy fold. SB get a raise in 3 way pot and on the turn donk push in 3way.... just 0 bluffs

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
SB has normally ZERO bluffs here.

BUT he often have a worse jack. It is close with another player in the hand. With only about a third pot bet I call most of the time.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB has normally ZERO bluffs here.

BUT he often have a worse jack. It is close with another player in the hand. With only about a third pot bet I call most of the time.

Ye im not worried about the sb i want to call the sb it's the btn that is the concern given the btn's is the preflop raiser and the flop action.The problem with calling the sb here is that if btn shoves im comitted at that price against a very strong range that im not doing to great against i think.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't call the flop re-raise since the pot will be so big on the turn it's normal to get all in. I would fold or shove there

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking at this again, I lean towards a fold. The question was about BTN, but I actually think, we need to be fairly concerned about this donk shove from the fish. Its one thing for him to donk bet the flop.

But its quite another thing to get raised and then donk shove the turn into two other players. That is an extremely strong line, and 54 actually got there, which I had missed the first time, I looked at the hand.

Sure its usually not a great idea to put people on a single hand and then fold, but in this situation we also have BTN left to act behind us. He did after all raise the flop, so he is also representing something, that beat us, like an overpair or a flopped set.

So we have two players here, who are both saying, that they have us beat. And even if one of them is bluffing, what good is that, if we are toast against the other guy. So on second thoughts, just fold here and hope, that BTN makes the call, so we get to see their hands.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ye im not worried about the sb i want to call the sb it's the btn that is the concern given the btn's is the preflop raiser and the flop action.The problem with calling the sb here is that if btn shoves im comitted at that price against a very strong range that im not doing to great against i think.
With only 13 hands of info how are you confident enough to completely not worry about SB? With this action after donking and getting called then raised and still going 3 ways to the turn how can SB not be super strong to donk jam into 2 players again with this action? What did you see in those 13 hands that made you think TPTK is always good here vs SB?

I agree with others 3 bet pre vs potentially wide BTN open. AJo is really tough to play multi way OOP in a single raised pot. As played I like initial flop call. After BTN raises and SB continues first alarm bells are going off for me. BTN is saying they have at least AJ by raising there after the donk and a call or they could have some bluffs but are repping thin. I may consider folding here on this dry board. What is SB continuing with other than a straight draw (one of which gets there OTT)? If SB flopped a small set it is good to flat the BTN raise on this dry board to keep Hero in. When SB then jams turn after all that action I can't find a call or a raise here much, especially with BTN behind us who has shown nothing but strength the whole hand. I just fold turn and hope BTN calls so I can see. 13 hands in is way too soon for me to make soul reads needed to profitably continue here in my opinion.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's definately a possibility but i want to keep the fish in the pot and it's also not a great spot if i 3bet and the fish jams that stack size with AJo.
I wouldn't try to hard to get into pots with the fish when we are OOP to a PFR that is solid and has us covered. We will set ourselves up in tough spots like this too often and may cancel out all of the mistakes that fish could make. Also we can still let the fish make an even bigger mistake if we fold out the BTN with our 3 bet and the fish calls the SB and we get to play heads up in position.