$2 NLHE 6-max: Can A-High Flush Ever Call Overbet Shove on Paired/Straight Flush Board?

T

Twobit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: Can A-High Flush Ever Call Overbet Shove on Paired/Straight Flush Board?

Assuming no table reads to consider, can you ever justify a call in this spot for over 100 BB? On one hand I think this is a great bluff spot for villain, but on the other hand I can't see how he can do this light given my line in this hand and our respective stack sizes.

In the moment I had difficulty justifying putting 150 BB at risk calling on such a loaded board. I realize that is exploitable behavior, but this is 2NL. Now that I look at this hand with fresh eyes, I can't imagine any hand that I overshove here like villain has done.

Anyway, it's an interesting spot for me. I'd appreciate any feedback. Do you have an argument for calling here? Are there factors I may not be considering? Thanks in advance.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $4.57
SB: $2.00
BB: $3.80
UTG: $3.11
Hero (MP): $3.58
CO: $2.02

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A 7

fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13, 2 players) 8 Q J
BB bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, BB calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.33, 2 players) K
BB checks, Hero bets $0.16, BB calls $0.16

River: ($0.65, 2 players) 8
BB bets $2.56

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call here every time.

idk what villain is doing on the flop, just sorta min-bets on a fairly coordinated board. I like the raise.

On the turn, he just checks it to us. I would size a bit bigger, but this is a spot where i agree with at least some sort of bet.

Flush draw comes in, villain jams, i would say we are winning here most of the time. A lot of weaker flush draw combos that we beat, i don't see villain playing a set this way, and i think that every set he would have raises preflop. (Although there was a thread a few days ago where something like this happened, and villain flipped over something wierd.)

Sure, he can occasionally have 9Ts or some random k8 or q8 but i think we are normally way ahead.

T

Twobit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I call here every time.

idk what villain is doing on the flop, just sorta min-bets on a fairly coordinated board. I like the raise.

On the turn, he just checks it to us. I would size a bit bigger, but this is a spot where i agree with at least some sort of bet.

Flush draw comes in, villain jams, i would say we are winning here most of the time. A lot of weaker flush draw combos that we beat, i don't see villain playing a set this way, and i think that every set he would have raises preflop. (Although there was a thread a few days ago where something like this happened, and villain flipped over something wierd.)

Sure, he can occasionally have 9Ts or some random k8 or q8 but i think we are normally way ahead.

I think I just needed to hear this. I think I let the idea of losing 150 BB get to me. Kinda silly really, but it doesn't make sense to me that a player with a set does this, or what a player with a full house or better does this. You would think by now I would just accept that stupid happens, and take advantage.

My sizing on the river is little low, I agree there as well. My standard turn sizing is closer to 2/3 pot. There is no good reason that I reduced it here. I guess it just shows the hesitant mindset I was in that lead to me folding the river.

Of course, if anyone can add to this or argue that folding was the best line, I'm still interested in opinions.

Full Flush Poker