$2 NLHE 6-max: Is a good idea to bluff recreatinal players?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pure bluff is this stakes? :D occasionally can be interesting but I don't know if it's a good idea, pure bluff is dangerous, we never know what some players are holding

D

dvkay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't do this often, especially on boards that aren't draw-heavy. A river bluff is best when there's missed flush/straight draws. At NL2, there's a lot of players that call you down with top or middle pair, so it's pretty risky.

Did you have any reads or hud stats on villain?

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much dislike every single decision. But river bet. Preflop is a fold to me. You are OOP and if they call any ace you are dominated always. Also if you flop a draw, you are OOP and need to barrel. At these stakes , your value comes from valuebetting. bluffing 3 streets will be the wrong idea. People don’t think about ranges. They have two cards and then click a button. I‘d only barrel turn if I pick up heart draw. Otherwise I give up and maybe bluff river on good card.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i find a limp on BTN and i desde to ROL A2s,BB and BTN call. I was afraid off the cc off the bb but when he folds i deside to make 3 barrels off bluff,it was a good move considering he is a recre and maibe a calling?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224sZoqlJ

Hi there freddydr87 how are you? Thank you for sharing your hands with the CardsChat community!
Very good question!
Can we bluff recreational players? I think the answer is no. Never, actually. Why? As other good players posted here in the forum, the vast majority of the population at 2 NLHE are not thinking about ranges: they look up their hand and make a decision based upon it. (most of them are just clicking buttons).
Why? Because most of recreational players have faith that we are bluffing them everytime. So, the only thing we need is a good portion of equity for bluffing or a hand.

The hand as played:

We are in the SB Deep Stacked and we raise a limper in position with A2s. I think our raise here is fine for stealing preflop, but as we can see, the limper didn't fold our 5x raise. It is a very big raise, but most of them are not looking to bet sizes. They called to see a flop and if they hit their huge nonsense range of hands.
When we raise here we gotta be sure that we are raising for stealing, because this is the essence of the 6-Max game: attack and defend the blinds.
It is okay to raise here with a huge stealing range:

22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, A8o+, A5o-A3o, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o, 87o (34.84%)

Depending how recreational the player is we can add or remove some combos of our stealing range.

Overbluffing

It is not because we tried to steal preflop with 30% range that we are going for a C-Bet flop out of position with the same 30% range. When we raise from SB we get a call from BB and from the BTN and the Pot is big. (15 blinds)
The Flop texture is semi-dry IMO. So our values hands in the SB wouldn't need too much protection: AJ, AT, A3, KJ, KT, QJ, JT, 22+ and the value heavy part of our range such as JJ, TT and 33, AA, KK and QQ.
When we bet 1/2 pot here we have just a Back-Door Flush, a Runner-Runner Straight and one overcard that will be dominated most of times (A2 is dominated by A3, A4, etc specially in a board like it).
We are putting a lot of chips in the middle out of position in relation to two other players. Most of times we are checking from SB and BB, and I would check-fold this flop, because my Preflop Steal didn't pass, and I don't want to overbluff.
However, if in the Turn comes another Heart, I can bluff, if it comes another J, T or 3, I believe I can bluff, sometimes I can bluff a Kx in the turn and once in a while an Ace.
But bluffing for leaving later streets in the case Villain does not fold! We gotta have a postflop plan before putting chips in the middle.

Jamming the River

I believe jamming the River here will not pass most of times. We should not have made a C-Bet flop, and most of times not a C-bet Turn. Let's us pray for a cheap showndown and that our Ace will be ahead of its calling range. Most of times here we are going to get called by any Jx, 6x, and the Tx would never fold here.
Bluffing without equity, out of position is a good way of destroying our bankroll. Let us reason before we make a bet.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
?

is it ever good to show a bluff

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much dislike every single decision. But river bet. Preflop is a fold to me. You are OOP and if they call any ace you are dominated always. Also if you flop a draw, you are OOP and need to barrel. At these stakes , your value comes from valuebetting. Bluffing 3 streets will be the wrong idea. People don’t think about ranges. They have two cards and then click a button. I‘d only barrel turn if I pick up heart draw. Otherwise I give up and maybe bluff river on good card.

^ THIS

you are highly unlikely to get a limper pre to fold , they wantto see a flop and then you are playing guessing games and only likely to have 1 active card . wait and play in position vs this guy .