D

DLo2138

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 43/11/3.7

Would appreciate some feedback on this hand.

As background, just recently got back into poker after a few failed attempts to build a BR in the past (was thinking too results oriented). Really want make sure I am thinking about the Ranges and Lines properly. First post on CC.

Hand Notes:
  • Flop: C-Bet into Dry Board with Position and Overpair. Villain playing a lot of hands, expected wide range and to be ahead most of time.
  • Turn: Think I should have slowed up here with a Check instead of a bet, as Villain called on Flop.
  • River: Small bet was for value, River All-In implied he has some type of set or a Qx. Small Pocket pair would max sense given the Pre-Flop limp.
Was a fold the right move here? Or should I have called to bluff catch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.08 (104 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.66 (133 bb)
BU: $2.60 (130 bb)
SB: $2.35 (118 bb)
BB: $2.45 (123 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K K
UTG calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 players fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 3 6 Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.07, UTG calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.33) Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.11, UTG calls $0.11

River: ($0.55) 7 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.13, UTG raises to $1.82 (all-in), CO (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.81 (Rake: $0.04)
UTG wins $0.77

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
U had an easy X back river, when you had value in flop and in turn it become a showdonw hand is good to bet small like u did to keep the initiative and x back river,now u dont now iff he had a real hand or he bluff u on the river

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed with the post above. Check the river if there’s a scare on the board. I’ve given away so much money “value” betting the river to be shoved on and fold.

I’d have been betting bigger on the turn I think. If you get the call on a bigger bet it’s easier to shut down and check back the river. You’re pretty sure he has the queen, and if he doesn’t you’ve already extracted value - much easier to extract value on the turn when they have hope of hitting something vs on the river once they’re card dead. If they fold it’s not the end of the world as it saves you having this happen on the river. If you’re fine betting 11c on turn and 13c on river why not bet 18c turn and check the river, saving yourself some money if he has the Q.

This is an area I’ve been working on more and more - before you bet at all, ask why you’re doing it. Not just is it “value” or a “bluff”, but if it’s a value bet what worse hands are calling?

On this board, what does he have that calls all three streets that isn’t the Q, 33 or 66, all of which have you beat. The key piece is what does he call with that’s worse than your hand? Nothing, therefore you’re not betting for value really are you?

The flip side is “bluff” - what better hands does he have that your bet makes fold? Again literally nothing. The only thing he folds that has you beat is AA which players at these limits aren’t folding for anything, let alone a small river bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard isolation spot of course. You could go a little larger, especially when you have the second best starting hand in NLH. He limped into the pot, and he wants to give you value, so why not let him. Or let someone else put in more money preflop with a worse hand.

Flop
Standard C-bet of course. Here I really prefer a larger bet for value. You are playing against a fish at 2NL, and you dont need to give him such a great price to get him to make a bad call with his whatever. A larger bet on the flop sets it up for larger bets on the turn and river on clean runouts. This kind of bet sizing, which you use, is for tournaments or high stakes cash games not for playing against a fish at 2NL.

Turn
This is a very bad card for you, because top pair is a significant part of his range, so your hand is almost like second pair now, and it has become a 2 street hand rather than a 3 street hand. I prefer to check back and then either call any reasonable river bet or bet around half pot for value on the river, if he check to you.

River
As played check back. The issue with betting so small is, you turn your hand completely face up, and even a fish might be able to figure that out. You would never use this sizing with trips or better, and you would never use this sizing with a bluff either. You always have a marginal made hand like a pocket pair, and this give Villain a green light to go ahead and raise for value with any trips or better or bluff you. As played you have to fold. There are no busted draws (54 got there), and basically you hand is simply not strong enough to play for stacks.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't particularly hate your flop and turn sizings. You can bet larger on the flop for value assuming NL2 players are mostly calling stations.

River it is a bit thin, and thin value bet can be punished by aggressive raise which usually has a more polarized range. Theoretically you should defend with solid hands like KK as it blocks value combos like KQ if the raise size is smaller.

The issue is that you don't see typical NL2 players often check raise large with air or weak equity hands like 55/88 at this spot so you can find an exploitative fold.

I would be surprised if V didn't have a boat here.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Would appreciate some feedback on this hand.

As background, just recently got back into poker after a few failed attempts to build a BR in the past (was thinking too results oriented). Really want make sure I am thinking about the Ranges and Lines properly. First post on CC.

Hand Notes:
  • Flop: C-Bet into Dry Board with Position and Overpair. Villain playing a lot of hands, expected wide range and to be ahead most of time.
  • Turn: Think I should have slowed up here with a Check instead of a bet, as Villain called on Flop.
  • River: Small bet was for value, River All-In implied he has some type of set or a Qx. Small Pocket pair would max sense given the Pre-Flop limp.
Was a fold the right move here? Or should I have called to bluff catch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.08 (104 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.66 (133 bb)
BU: $2.60 (130 bb)
SB: $2.35 (118 bb)
BB: $2.45 (123 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K K
UTG calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 players fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 3 6 Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.07, UTG calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.33) Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.11, UTG calls $0.11

River: ($0.55) 7 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.13, UTG raises to $1.82 (all-in), CO (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.81 (Rake: $0.04)
UTG wins $0.77

Thank you very much for sharing it. How many hands have you played with Villain?
Well, considering all of this I believe you played the hand very good. There was nothing else to do but fold on the river, since the board is totally dry and Villain is representing what it really has, either some Qx, or 33, 66 or 77. Nice fold.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa