2/5 no limit Hand

S

Sandbag3030

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
Just wanted to run this hand I played on my local Florida poker room against a player who was in utg2 position with an $800 stack had me covered I had $620.

I am on the on the button with a stack of $620 with AK clubs, Utg1 makes it $15, Utg 2 calls, mp1 calls
Folds all the way to me I raise to $65, utg1 folds, utg2 calls mp1 folds, so where heads up,

Pot size $167
Flop comes Ah Kd Jd utg2 checks, With such a draw heavy board I bet a bit large $90 utg2 calls,
Pot size $347
Turn is an 6h utg2 checks, I bet $ 155 with the 6h being a great blank card for my hand utg2 calls,
Pot size $657
River is the 7s so no flush another blank, utg2 checks I move all in for $310 and utg2 thinks for 30 secs and calls he shows JhJs for a set and wins the hand.
My question on this hand, is you guys think I played this hand to aggressively with a player that never showed aggression never raised preflop flop turn or river.
Thanks

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not knowing how he played previously......I will answer this as if I had just sat down and was dealt your hand. Check calling, you thought draw. Reasonable assumption. I mean, most people would've check raised the low set with a wet board, right? Or, he thought you had something like AK or AQ and was waiting you out. The turn's a blank and he check calls again. Alarm bells should be going off at this point. I don't fault either bet on flop or turn. The river he checks AGAIN, reasonably assuming you'd bet again. I'd have checked the river for 2 reasons. 1, alarm bells with 2 check calls (though if he had a Q along with a heart draw, your bets wouldn't have gotten him off the hand I don't think). 2, I want to see what he has...if he doesn't have a set, ya, you leave a little $ on the table but you have a ton of info. If he has a set, you keep $310 and he'll be p'od he didn't bet. The other question you should be asking is, what would you have done if he check raises the flop or turn? If you'd have called or re shoved then your concern about overplaying is kind of moot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me this is just a standard cooler. Kind of crazy, that he played so passive with bottom set and even though about it on the river, but guess he was a nit. The only thing, I would do different, is to 3-bet larger preflop. Make it 80$ or something, when there are two field callers. Postflop I would prefer to get it in on the turn to punish his draws, but even with larger 3-bet sizing that might be a bit of a stretch.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also like a larger pre flop three bet. Taking down $52 pre flop is printing money. If you're standard 3 bet sizing is 3x (and it should be at least 3x) and we add 1x for each flat call we should be at least $75 here. I also don't think V has that many flush draws given the Kd and Jd are both on board. It should really only be one combo calling a 3 bet OOP here which is AQdd. If you're worried about more flush draws than this that means this guy is loose enough to call with QTs as well. A lot of this depends on how we range V which hasn't been discussed. But as mentioned since I don't expect most Vs to have many flush draws here I like the flop sizing. I probably go closer to half pot OTT. I don't mind the way V played his hand, as shown in a 3 bet pot it's easy to get stacks in by the river without raising and he could have run into set over set. I can understand jamming river when we have less than half pot sized bet left as we have little fold equity and should have pretty much no bluffs. If V is wide enough to have QTs and / or more than the one combo of flush draw AQdd then I check river. If not then I think jamming is fine as we only loose to 3 combos of JJ in that case and may still get action from hands like AJ for that price.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands