$100 NLHE Full Ring: Should I have folded Trip Aces?

B

BudDwight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*New to the forum here so any tips on how I could post better are encouraged*

Playing $.50/$1 NL Full table of 9 at ignition. No HUD stats on anyone but most people were playing fairly tight/aggressive.

PRE-FLOP
-Im UTG+2 (SS - $158) and everyone folds to me. I have As2s & I raise to make it $3 total.
-Everyone folds until the CO (SS - $94) calls.

FLOP
3hAd7d

-Pot Size ($7)
-I open with a $4 bet
-Villain raises to $10.75
-I call

TURN
3hAd7d Ah

-Pot Size (~$28.50)
-I Check
-Villain bets $20.33
-I raise to make is $45.66 total ($25.33 more)
-Villain raises to make it $70.99 total ($25.33 more)
-I raise to make it $80.93 and put him all in ($9.94 more)
-Villain calls

RIVER
3hAd7d Ah 3D

VILLAIN'S CARDS POSTED BELOW MY QUESTION

QUESTION -

Should I have laid it down after he re-raised me on the the Turn?

-I had a gut feeling he was on A 7 after he raised me on the flop, but could just be a flush draw too so went with it.

-Checking on turn I figured he'd fire another bullet (which he did). If he only has a flush draw you'd assume he folds after I check/raise him. Instead he re-raises me and this is where I figured I was beat but just couldn't bring myself to laying it down.

VILLAIN'S CARDS
Ac7c

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Full ring - opening utg+2 I think A2 isa fold suited or not.

2. On the flop he raises your bet... Alarm bells going off...

3. You check raise the turn and he comes back over the top...
and you are probably pot committed.

After he bet 20 on the turn he only had $60 left... and you raised his $20.... Now you can't just put him on A7, but he has shown nothing but strength... I think you should just be calling down on the turn... Let him do the betting. If he bets $20 on the turn and you just call... he has a pot size bet left and probably shoves river anyway... at which point you are probably calling him anyways.

I think big mistake was pre flop... If you are willing to open that weak of a holding, you have to be willing to play a smaller pot or find a fold....

J

JKo2theQQ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of those trap hands you should avoid (even more in early position). When you play this one you are really only playing to make 2 pair or better (without the board pairing). You really need to see the flop cheaply and flop 2 pair+ or a pair and a flush draw. Also, two pair with a low card like 2 or 3 is always vulnerable to being counterfeited if the board pairs. Preflop, it's a fold. You end up flopping a pair, but you are OOP and ANY other ace beats you so it should be check/fold or check/call if it's a small bet. Once you lead out on the flop and get raised, it's 50/50 on calling or folding. odds aren't terrible to continue, but we are OOP so I might lean towards a fold.
The turn is where this one got a bit crazy. You turn a third ace, but your strength vs villains possible holdings doesn't actually improve. If he was drawing, you are still ahead and he lost a couple outs, If he has an ace, you are still behind. Now, if villain has a Ax hearts he just picked up a flush draw too. If villain has 33, 77, A3, A7, or any A4 - AK, the ace on the turn just about crushed you. Since the villain has been showing strength the whole time your goal should shift to getting to showdown as cheap as possible. Once villain leads the turn, you should only call if you want to continue, but not raise. Even if you put him on a flush draw, I would call and see the river. Your check raise wasn't enough to push me off of a FD anyway. After your check raise the villain was still getting about 4.5 to 1 pot odds. This hand just turned out to be an awful trap hand with a small Ax. Cut the cord as early as possible. Preflop or certainly once you don't get a really good flop. Good Luck.

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the others, fold this hand preflop and the problem is solved. A2s is too weak playing from UTG+2 full ring. Top pair isn't good enough with a 2 kicker, the flush is really the only hand you would like to get (or a full house, but that's very rare). That's why this hand in my opinion is not profitable to play during this particular circumstances.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BudDwight. Firstly welcome to CardsChat and what a way to start your posting in the forum.

My first thought upon reading through your post was "what on earth are you doing betting with A2s in early to mid position?" I can (i guess) see your semi bluff strategy (but i don't think bluffing (semi or otherwise) was in your head!) It was a straight bet with crappy cards! I am sure what you saw was an Ace with another card of the same suit! WRONG! It was a two and you were now out of position. Crazily (but hey this is poker) if you were a couple of seats further on this may not be bad move, but you are still out of position and need to be careful with such a small kicker.

The other factor is you stated that the table was playing tight but aggressive. I dont think this was in your mind when you chose how to play either, as you may have seen the strength in the other players play and weakness in your hand.

The previous advice is good advice and I hope mine helps too!

This kind of post and responses just goes to show how invaluable CardsChat is to developing your game.

Best Wishes

BB

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre, fold flop, don't raise turn

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a tough one,i admit,but that`s the trouble with weak kickers,,,they can kill you in a big showdown,,,next time,try and call the pot down to limit how much you put in the pot. Good luck:D

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you believe their raise on the flop is a bluff (which you should have a read on them, not just guessing) , then I think you should allow them to keep bluffing on the turn and river and not just try to get them to fold. Especially when you have trips on the turn it takes away some flush cards from them since it will give you a full house.

Another thing to remember is that your open preflop should be something like a big ace, so if he knows that and is raising you, it would mean he wants you to call with those hands, meaning you are beat.

There are some important lessons you can learn from this.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very easy fold on flop co isnt deep enough and there isnt a spade as well.

So yeah rest of the hand doesnt matter to me... and this hand requires experience to avoid these mistakes

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre. A-2s way too loose for open UTG+2 at FR.

On flop, fold to raise.

On turn, fold still. Never raise. The turn card changes nothing, you're still behind (should have folded the flop).

Your comment about FD highlights how players will construct super optimistic hand ranges to allow themselves to make bad calls.

Tighten up when OOP. One bad decision pre can mushroom into a full debacle post flop. It all starts with good decisions preflop. Just never play A-2s in EP again at FR. Don't limp it, don't raise it, and you'll be better off I promise.

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a hard thing laying down a set but also youve got to remeber there are 2 more aces in the deck when the board pairs and then 12 more cards in the deck that make a full house,and the flush draw i would have been weiry of the turn raise..(BTW i relized you didnt say what your other card was) but even though there was alot of action fast and in that circumstance i would have tried to get thre that particular hand a cheap as possible beacuse of exactly what happend here..

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre, fold flop, don't raise turn

This is pretty much perfect advice. The hand should be folded preflop at UTG+2.

Edit: Once raised on the flop, what hand can you beat?

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like the consensus is to fold preflop and I tend to agree. Since you did play them, then you have to give respect to a table that you have characterized as TAG. The alarm bells should have went off and a fold was in order after villain shows strength post flop (IMHO).

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Fold pre-flop
2) Fold the flop
3) Don't ever CR the turn here, and Fold the turn

See the pattern? :)

Lastly, get drivehud if you're playing on ignition. Especially if you're going to review and post hands. It will make your life a lot easier, and you'll be able to analyze your play much better. :)

Folding in Poker