$100 NLHE Full Ring: $ : $ : Do you go for value? A middle kicker 100NL

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weird spot. Noticed villain played a few hands very bad earlier.

Raise with A7 SP $3
Villain calls from BB
2 to the flop.
A62 (Two spades)
Checks around.
Turn A626 2 spades still on board.
He bets out $4 I raise to $11 he calls.
River A626J
He checks I bet $24.
He calls with AQ
Was hoping to get a call from low or middle pocket pair.
Would you have gone for value on river?
Would you have done continuation bet on flop?
I would normally do continuation bet if I had AJ+.
Thanks for tips you guys are great.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What was your position when you led out as that also matters for the range I would give the villain.

Would cBet on the flop (unless I was in EP but then I would not be in the hand with A7 in a full ring game).
With the villain betting on the turn and you raising it looks like the villain most of the time has a better hand then middle pair. I would check back on the river.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hard to judge this hand because we don't know your position but check on flop is ok. BB has wider calling range than any other positions so mosly he misses that board. You have 2 streets of value most of the time so I prefer to check flop, bet turn and bet river. If villain bets himself on turn there is no reason to raise it. Just call it till end. By raising you isolate yourself vs a better range. As played just check river. No value there at all.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You saw an opportunity `cause you saw how he was playing, ok till here. But dont't be so aggressive with a mediocre Kicker, this kinds of hands can get you broke and you were out position, i would opt folding this hand pre flop. I think you played well flop, turn i think it was a good re-raise, he could at least be thinking you had a set, but you missed the river i fired a big bet again, i think you should check again here, and act on his reaction. Folding is an art too.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was your position when you led out as that also matters for the range I would give the villain.

Would cBet on the flop (unless I was in EP but then I would not be in the hand with A7 in a full ring game).
With the villain betting on the turn and you raising it looks like the villain most of the time has a better hand then middle pair. I would check back on the river.

1st mistake was playing the hand preflop. Never really thought about how bad A-9 to a-6 plays. Doing a continuation bet would have saved a lot too.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You saw an opportunity `cause you saw how he was playing, ok till here. But dont't be so aggressive with a mediocre Kicker, this kinds of hands can get you broke and you were out position, i would opt folding this hand pre flop. I think you played well flop, turn i think it was a good re-raise, he could at least be thinking you had a set, but you missed the river i fired a big bet again, i think you should check again here, and act on his reaction. Folding is an art too.

Good call on folding it’s never been part of the game that is promoted. Like putting in golf...Good advice, will keep this in mind going forward. Thanks

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be more inclined to call on the turn rather than raising.
I assume your raising for value so why not just bet the flop instead of raising the turn.
Generally top pair middle kicker is not worth 3 streets in my opinion.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think A7s qualify to raise pre flop. But checking the flop is bad because now we are playing blindly vs a calling range; 1st, we have to bet to see if he has anything to go further because the flop texture is draw heavy plus an A on the board as well; 2nd, if he call, we know he has something like Ax or spade draw, gut shot 45, or maybe some combo 65s. However, I think that you play the hand well on the river.

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weird spot. Noticed villain played a few hands very bad earlier.

Raise with A7 SP $3
Villain calls from BB
2 to the flop.
A62 (Two spades)
Checks around.
Turn A626 2 spades still on board.
He bets out $4 I raise to $11 he calls.
River A626J
He checks I bet $24.
He calls with AQ
Was hoping to get a call from low or middle pocket pair.
Would you have gone for value on river?
Would you have done continuation bet on flop?
I would normally do continuation bet if I had AJ+.
Thanks for tips you guys are great.

I think you shouldn't have bet so much with a weak kicker ace. You probably should have bet about half the pot for value. Maybe you could have represented something like 65 and tried an overbet but it seems like he was ready to call.