$100 NLHE 6-max: Calling turn jam?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero (BB): 101 BB
UTG: 130 BB (VPIP: 38.41, PFR: 31.88, 3Bet Preflop: 18.37, hands: 139)
CO: 158.5 BB (VPIP: 9.68, PFR: 6.45, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 63)
BTN: 130 BB (VPIP: 18.99, PFR: 13.92, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 81)
SB: 175.5 BB (VPIP: 26.23, PFR: 22.13, 3Bet Preflop: 4.88, Hands: 123)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has As Ad
UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 11 BB, UTG calls 8 BB

Flop : (22.5 BB, 2 players) 2s Qs Qd
Hero bets 10.25 BB, UTG calls 10.25 BB

Turn : (43 BB, 2 players) 5d
Hero bets 26 BB, UTG raises to 108.75 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 53.75 BB and is all-in

Stakes are 120NL. V is loose. but fold to 3b - 2/4
I snap called his jam. But we block both his nfds. I think we are never folding this since we are in the top of our range.
But maybe xc/xc turn & river is the better play?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me well played, the xc could be used against a tight player that is not the case.
You have played by value from the beginning and knew how to form the appropriate betting sizes.
At the same time you allowed him to open his rank in many lanterns that might be wanting to cheat on the turn.
I think it's a profitable call in this case.
You could have hit a ghost hand but that would be just bad luck.
Greetings.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what range do you think he calls and jams? Tough af situation. Will calculate it for you if you can estimate ranges.
My first thought we indeed most likely should be betting the turn (though no idea), but not sure how we should construct range and sizings if we start betting.

After thinking about constructing ranges im keen to check if potting entire range is profitable on the turn (as exploit obviously) making fold FDs and pairs (though not sure if it would work in actual game). Thinking about it for another 5min i think it would not work. though provide me ranges and ill check this thesis as well.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kind of a womit spot, but I agree, we cant fold, especially not against a maniac like this. I do slightly prefer to check-call the turn. This kind of player will probably float us a lot and stab if checked to, and I like to induce that action, when I have a nice bluff catcher like this. Betting cant be terrible wrong either though.

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG: 130 BB (VPIP: 38.41, PFR: 31.88, 3Bet Preflop: 18.37, Hands: 139)
This is a real maniac. It can be dangerous considering it plays with any two cards, in this case it can be Qx, 22,.. but I agree with you that there is no fold!
check-call is not my option ws maniac.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Were you betting the turn planning to call a shove? I think considering the opponent, you're better off checking the turn. As played, you have to call the turn.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were you betting the turn planning to call a shove? I think considering the opponent, you're better off checking the turn. As played, you have to call the turn.

yeah was gonna call a shove. I didn't like the fact that we block a lot of his draws.
why is checking better vs him? to keep his bluffs?
So what sort of opponent do we bet on turn to?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah was gonna call a shove. I didn't like the fact that we block a lot of his draws.
why is checking better vs him? to keep his bluffs?
So what sort of opponent do we bet on turn to?

I don't hate the bet, but on a paired board on the turn like that, your checking range should get pretty wide so that it includes c/f's, c/raises, c/calls. If your plan was bet/ call that's totally fine.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a call for sure. I think this type of player can easily have 10 9 suited type hands and call a 3bet preflop. So you blocking the nut flush draws does not significantly discount his flush draw hands. I also think this type of player could play a lot of smaller pocket pairs this way like 66-JJ with a thought process like "well if he has a queen I'm screwed, but I don't want any flush draws or overs to get there". Obviously there are a lot of possibilities here as he has a ton of Qx combos to offset the pocket pairs and flush draws.

I also don't think I'm playing this any differently. Cbet is mandatory on the flop, I might go a touch smaller but not a big deal either way. I think on turn you have to decide before you bet if you're willing to play for all the money. If you check, villain will for sure fire turn and jam river...and the river call is much tougher if either flush draw gets there. So I definitely like betting turn and jamming most rivers(had villain not raised turn).

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would check-call the turn, seems like a maniac... profitable call