$100 NLHE 6-max: BB defense vs SB: correct exploitation for seat 3?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi there friends, I would like to know if this hand was properly played for the Seat 3.
Okay, it is a straight flush, but it doesn't matter to me. What really matter is to know if Seat 3 should be raised SB's limp and call 2 streets of value. Any comments would be fine, thanks in advance

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/024uGLT3q

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Aballinamion, very good hand for the forum. Yes, it is a good idea to attack from bb, because you take advantage of the position you have over the sb. In terms of size, it is very misleading because this limper accepts a standard increase of 4bb. While the hand is a bit marginal, it works very well against a single villain in position. With this range, you block KT; Q-J; Q-T; but villain could also bet donk with A-Q; A-T; K-Q that looking to print value and collect equity, with the best flush nuts. Also sb can be doing that with pure air of 68% preflop force, as in this case.
When villain throws his second barrel, he is probably blocking some combo set. So we are getting 3: 1 for the fourth flush nut and the draw straight flush. This is a very uncomfortable situation for us, because now we have to pay but we know deep down, we are completely dominated in range. Finally on the river, the villain did not go crazy as it seems in this video. Because now 4bet is a pretty strong bet, which represents the toughest part of the sb range. Obviously it should not be A-7 in the range of sb, but these are situations that one can observe, in players who play with polarized ranks, from the corresponding positions and situations.
Greetings.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just don't like the size preflop with a marginal hand for seat 3, but after the flop he played the standard poker(seat 3 need to call the turn, he can't fold in this spot, few hands of the "whale" are winning here),and won a big pot thanks to a very strange play by seat 2 (whale!?)
high cash game tables = 1 whale per table
https://www.poker-king.com/dictionary/whale/

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I like raising a decent suited hand in position, when SB has limped into the pot. As someone said already, SB is probably a fish, and why not try to play a somewhat larger pot with position on a fish. If he limp-fold, that is of course fine as well. Maybe 4BB is a bit unnessesary. Given we have position, the more standard 3BB should do.

Flop
After limp-calling preflop, the fish now donk bet into us, and we flopped the third nut flush. I would typically raise that donk bet, but I can see the rational for just calling, if small blind is a maniac fish. Keep his bluffing range in and allow him to continue hanging himself.

Turn
Board paired with top card, which is of course not great, since we now also lose to a few boats. I still think, we are way ahead of the fish range, and he could certainly be betting worse for value, but I am not going to raise now. We are deep, so we need to protect our stack, when we have a strong but not completely nutted hand like this.

River
Now we have the nuts, so obvious raise, and absolutely great of course, that we got him to go crazy with A7 and lose more than 200BB. Certainly give hope to all us micro players, that stakes like 100NL are not quite dead yet.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Whales in the sea!

Hi Aballinamion, very good hand for the forum. Yes, it is a good idea to attack from bb, because you take advantage of the position you have over the sb. In terms of size, it is very misleading because this limper accepts a standard increase of 4bb. While the hand is a bit marginal, it works very well against a single villain in position. With this range, you block KT; Q-J; Q-T; but villain could also bet donk with A-Q; A-T; K-Q that looking to print value and collect equity, with the best flush nuts. Also sb can be doing that with pure air of 68% preflop force, as in this case.
When villain throws his second barrel, he is probably blocking some combo set. So we are getting 3: 1 for the fourth flush nut and the draw straight flush. This is a very uncomfortable situation for us, because now we have to pay but we know deep down, we are completely dominated in range. Finally on the river, the villain did not go crazy as it seems in this video. Because now 4bet is a pretty strong bet, which represents the toughest part of the sb range. Obviously it should not be A-7 in the range of sb, but these are situations that one can observe, in players who play with polarized ranks, from the corresponding positions and situations.
Greetings.

Hello there mister gustav197poker! Good to see you here. I liked your comment very much, thank you!
Yup, by raising 4x BB is polarizing its range and trying to build a bigger pot versus a harmless recreational player. Given that both Hero and Villain are Deep Stacked this is an awesome spot for implied odds. :cool:
It is strange because SB completed and then came with a very large size donk bet, which coulb de some Ace of Clubs, sets of 44, Q9, Q4, or a King of clubs with whatever.
There aren't many players at 100 NLHE that complete from the SB, so when these guys appear we know they are weaker than the normal field.
SB has nothing to represent here, so it is an easy call for the Seat 3, in position.
The turn doubles the Queen and now comes another tell of this fishy player: completed SB, CC 4x raise (Strange), donks 80% of the pot or more and in the turn, SB simply bets 1/2 pot (more than strange!).
Now if this fish had the flush it would not be doing like this. If this fish had Q9, Q4, 44, 99, it would not be doing, definitely, because 100 NLHE Regulars are not idiots.
The plan is to call turn and call many rivers, since the player will maintain all of its rank and try a triple barrel river. :evil:
If comes another club that not completes a Straight Flush, the Regular in position would never, ever jam it. A call would suffice. But Seat 3 got lucky versus a preposterous whale and then there was nothing else to do then putting all the chips in the middle.
I don't see many regulars at 100 NLHE raising their flushes and flush-draws in a high frequency, and I believe they are right. If BB raises in the Flop, the whale could get scared and fold its ludicrous A7s with no blocker of clubs, lol.

Regards;

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: The Fish Menace

I just don't like the size preflop with a marginal hand for seat 3, but after the flop he played the standard poker(seat 3 need to call the turn, he can't fold in this spot, few hands of the "whale" are winning here),and won a big pot thanks to a very strange play by seat 2 (whale!?)
high cash game tables = 1 whale per table
https://www.poker-king.com/dictionary/whale/

Thank you very much BullXT, yes, 3x preflop would do the work just fine. But this player is so fishy (and rich!) that if we exploit to the bones, by raising 4x or 5x it would continue calling and trying to float flop, float turn and jam river.
IF SB raises preflop to 3x or 3.5x it is also an easy call with J8s, J7s, T9s, and many other suited connectors with good implied odds, because this guy is the best friend of 100 NLHE's regulars. LOL
Unbeliavable huh? ;)

Regards;

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: The Fish Menace

Preflop
I like raising a decent suited hand in position, when SB has limped into the pot. As someone said already, SB is probably a fish, and why not try to play a somewhat larger pot with position on a fish. If he limp-fold, that is of course fine as well. Maybe 4BB is a bit unnessesary. Given we have position, the more standard 3BB should do.

Flop
After limp-calling preflop, the fish now donk bet into us, and we flopped the third nut flush. I would typically raise that donk bet, but I can see the rational for just calling, if small blind is a maniac fish. Keep his bluffing range in and allow him to continue hanging himself.

Turn
Board paired with top card, which is of course not great, since we now also lose to a few boats. I still think, we are way ahead of the fish range, and he could certainly be betting worse for value, but I am not going to raise now. We are deep, so we need to protect our stack, when we have a strong but not completely nutted hand like this.

River
Now we have the nuts, so obvious raise, and absolutely great of course, that we got him to go crazy with A7 and lose more than 200BB. Certainly give hope to all us micro players, that stakes like 100NL are not quite dead yet.

Hi fundiver199, I appreciate your attention here.
Preflop: I agree with you, specially because both Hero and Villain are Deep Stack so raising higher sizes would also increase our implied odds in position versus a Whale, for sure.

Flop: You are right, the rational for calling is just because SB is way too weak, and way too nonsense aggression. If we in position raise our 3rd nut flush, SB could get scary and fold its air and we in position have a monster equity and we want so bad that SB keep firing its missiles.

Turn: We should not raise here, I agree, but SB gave us a sweet tell that is definitly some Orca Whale or worse: SB donks pot for nearly 80% pot, when it couldn't represent anything decent (complete SB and call 4x raise?). And, as Katie Dozier says, when these guys slow down in the turn (betting 1/2 pot) it is simply telling us, very sincere, that it has a bunch of airs in its range.
A regular that donk this flop, would never slow down in a turn like this: A regular that is betting for bluff need to polarize its range and goes for 66% pot to 150% or even more, because when we do it we put the flushes, sets, two pair and high pairs of BB in a very delicate situation.
But as we can clearly observe, SB is the King of all Whales! :D

River: Thank the Gods the implied odds worked on the side of the player in position. But even if it doesn't improve to a Straight Flush a call would be okay too (when it comes anything in the river which is not a Ten of Clubs).

Yes, I posted this hand with the sole intention of giving hope to our fellow students that poker is not dead yet! Look how amazing the life can be when we are facing a young millionaire who doesn't care in giving away USD 200 for free in a spot it should be clearly raising preflop or folding. (A7s is a very good hand to Steal SB x BB, I see no point in complete-calling. Complete-3-betting would work much better! But, they are the source of our pleasure, we love them!)

Regards; :icon_flow

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello there mister gustav197poker! Good to see you here. I liked your comment very much, thank you!
Yup, by raising 4x BB is polarizing its range and trying to build a bigger pot versus a harmless recreational player. Given that both Hero and Villain are Deep Stacked this is an awesome spot for implied odds. :cool:
It is strange because SB completed and then came with a very large size donk bet, which coulb de some Ace of Clubs, sets of 44, Q9, Q4, or a King of clubs with whatever.
There aren't many players at 100 NLHE that complete from the SB, so when these guys appear we know they are weaker than the normal field.
SB has nothing to represent here, so it is an easy call for the Seat 3, in position.
The turn doubles the Queen and now comes another tell of this fishy player: completed SB, CC 4x raise (Strange), donks 80% of the pot or more and in the turn, SB simply bets 1/2 pot (more than strange!).
Now if this fish had the flush it would not be doing like this. If this fish had Q9, Q4, 44, 99, it would not be doing, definitely, because 100 NLHE Regulars are not idiots.
The plan is to call turn and call many rivers, since the player will maintain all of its rank and try a triple barrel river. :evil:
If comes another club that not completes a Straight Flush, the Regular in position would never, ever jam it. A call would suffice. But Seat 3 got lucky versus a preposterous whale and then there was nothing else to do then putting all the chips in the middle.
I don't see many regulars at 100 NLHE raising their flushes and flush-draws in a high frequency, and I believe they are right. If BB raises in the Flop, the whale could get scared and fold its ludicrous A7s with no blocker of clubs, lol.

Regards;

According to everything you say. I would just hate being in seat 3 and carrying the third flush nut (assuming the nuts were not completed for us). Because now, strong lines that exceed our range entered. In my opinion, villain could not represent his value range well. Because I lead the flop and then continue with that plan (not standard). If the sequence had been different (without our nuts) and villain finally make x/jam, perhaps it would be a decision for think more.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
SB bluff-calling river: calling 400 bb pot with ace high drawie board

According to everything you say. I would just hate being in seat 3 and carrying the third flush nut (assuming the nuts were not completed for us). Because now, strong lines that exceed our range entered. In my opinion, villain could not represent his value range well. Because I lead the flop and then continue with that plan (not standard). If the sequence had been different (without our nuts) and villain finally make x/jam, perhaps it would be a decision for think more.

Thank you gustav197, you are right: if we don't complete the cold stone nuts in the river it would be a very hard time to call down a jam river. However, giving that SB is a recreational player (and BB is a regular of the field), it could be a call light because of simple tells SB gave us.
Remember that we only raise this river because we had the nuts! Any other turn it would a 100% call for value for the Hero BB:

A) SB completes and calls 4x raise preflop.
B) SB donks 80% pot flop polarizing its range.
C) SB bets 1/2 pot turn depolarizing its range.
D) When SB bets river we would be simply calling down with the 3rd nuts, never raising because double paired turn with a Queen. We would never raise here, even with the Flush Nuts. The only hand that we can be re-raising here is the Straight Flush, knowing that we are going to be paid in a massive deep stack pot for a recreational player out of position.

Summarizing: we are never raising this river versus recreational if we don't hit the nuts. The pot was already in a very good size and we would take a massive value most of times from SB's unbalanced bluffs.
I don't know how these guys think they are "bluff-calling". I understand the rationality of SB for trying to bluff this river. However when BB re-raises river, BB will have all the nuts: BB will have in its range all the flushes, all the full-houses, all the quads and all the straight flushes and SB will have none.
It is very exploitative to call with Ace High in a very connected river in a deep stacked pot.
We can safely assume SB is a recreational or a tilted player.

Regards;

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you gustav197, you are right: if we don't complete the cold stone nuts in the river it would be a very hard time to call down a jam river. However, giving that SB is a recreational player (and BB is a regular of the field), it could be a call light because of simple tells SB gave us.
Remember that we only raise this river because we had the nuts! Any other turn it would a 100% call for value for the Hero BB:

A) SB completes and calls 4x raise preflop.
B) SB donks 80% pot flop polarizing its range.
C) SB bets 1/2 pot turn depolarizing its range.
D) When SB bets river we would be simply calling down with the 3rd nuts, never raising because double paired turn with a Queen. We would never raise here, even with the Flush Nuts. The only hand that we can be re-raising here is the Straight Flush, knowing that we are going to be paid in a massive deep stack pot for a recreational player out of position.

Summarizing: we are never raising this river versus recreational if we don't hit the nuts. The pot was already in a very good size and we would take a massive value most of times from SB's unbalanced bluffs.
I don't know how these guys think they are "bluff-calling". I understand the rationality of SB for trying to bluff this river. However when BB re-raises river, BB will have all the nuts: BB will have in its range all the flushes, all the full-houses, all the quads and all the straight flushes and SB will have none.
It is very exploitative to call with Ace High in a very connected river in a deep stacked pot.
We can safely assume SB is a recreational or a tilted player.

Regards;

Everything you say is true. This texture really deserves another scenario.
Assume preflop as played and then F: x / x T: x / x R: r / rr / jam. BB (hero) range; possibly all full houses (maybe from the lowest structure, to the highest). SB range (villain): full houses in their strongest structure + quads + the best nuts with flush straight.
I agree with everything you say. I only add more variation in this excellent texture that you chose to show us. Regards Carlos.