$10 NLHE Full Ring: KK 9-max slowplay

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first i got to say that i focused on 6-max and i didn't play 9-max for a while.
i play it now because i can play more tables like that.
wonder what u think about that hand.. preflop i like but i somehow got scared postflop, should i raise at some point?? there are not many combos he could call a big raise, that i beat i thought.
i'm doin well with a more passive aproach but this hand makes me wonder if i'm missing something..

888 Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 214.2 BB (VPIP: 30.20, PFR: 15.10, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 300)
BTN: 99.5 BB (VPIP: 21.61, PFR: 14.20, 3Bet Preflop: 5.75, Hands: 679)
Hero (BB): 173.7 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K K

fold, fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (9.5 BB, 3 players) A J K
Hero checks, MP bets 6.2 BB, BTN calls 6.2 BB, Hero calls 6.2 BB

Turn: (28.1 BB, 3 players) 5
Hero checks, MP bets 9.2 BB, BTN calls 9.2 BB, Hero calls 9.2 BB

River: (55.7 BB, 3 players) 7
Hero checks, MP bets 27.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 27.8 BB

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why hero flat calls fm BB?
Ip some times I like flat calling with KK+ if villain has fold to 3 bet very high.
Post flop hero played his hand very passive

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplaying Kings 3way and 200BB effective vs 1 guy, not a very good idea
3b sqz pre bet thrice large with a river jam
as played xr flop bet t jam riv, as played same on turn

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you missed value by not 3-betting preflop, and also as played by not check-raising the flop and barreling on from there. They can have AK, AJ, KJ, which flopped two pair, they can have JJ, which flopped a worse set, and they can have AQ, AT, which flopped top pair with a gutshot. You only lose to AA and QT, and especially on the flop you are not that far behind to QT. If you 3-bet preflop, then you just C-bet the flop and barrel all the way down.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the replies!

guess thats not optimal at all but deep stacked i like to only 3bet AA and bluffs if its not against a station, just to keep variance small and the desicions easy while multitabling.
but my question is, do you really think he calls a jam with lets say anything worse than AK?? i think he got to be a really bad player to call me down with AJ, KJ or AQ deepstacked
so there are not many combos that beat me but there are not many combos that call a river jam too or even a flop check-raise, thats what i was thinking.
but yeah i agree, with a 3bet this hand was much easier to play i guess..

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess thats not optimal at all but deep stacked i like to only 3bet AA and bluffs if its not against a station, just to keep variance small and the desicions easy while multitabling.
but my question is, do you really think he calls a jam with lets say anything worse than AK?? i think he got to be a really bad player to call me down with AJ, KJ or AQ deepstacked
so there are not many combos that beat me but there are not many combos that call a river jam too or even a flop check-raise, thats what i was thinking.
but yeah i agree, with a 3bet this hand was much easier to play i guess..
You are making the case for why you should be raising earlier in the hand to build a pot to set up a river jam. You have some significant HH with Vs. You should know how often they are folding to 3 bets. We are OOP with a monster so we should want to 3 bet pre every time. If somehow our stats show that they are folding to the 3 bet pre too much and we want to flat I would only do that when heads up in position. 3 ways and OOP just 3 bet pre always. The way you get more action on your 3 bets is to 3 bet more often not less. As played you have every option on the flop, lead at it, check / call, or check / raise. Since it's rainbow and multi way I don't mind the x/c. As played, the turn is where I'm absolutely putting in the check raise. You're getting action from flush draws, two pair, undersets, and combo draws. If no one is strong enough to continue on the turn raise then you wouldn't have gotten much on the river anyway. On the blank river now the pot would 117.3 BB instead of 55.7 BB (if we made it 40 BB and got one call, more if they both call) and we can jam our remaining stack for value. Since we didn't 3 bet pre there will be more QT combos to worry about and the same amount of AA.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Id make an argument to 3bet just because you're deepstacked. Also on the larger site, the idea is to stack him right? So you got to build a pot asap. I mean you're in great shape against anything else than AA, so I don't understand the argument of reducing variance. If you really feel the need to do that cut out AKo instead, but even that is missed value vs CO and BU callingranges.

And you're right saying they shouldn't call you deepstacked. But most people at nl10 don't know that. So unless you have a read on V that he's tight postflop you miss value in that spot.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this specific case villain may have something like AQ, but sometimes he'll have AK or JJ or even AJ and you'll miss a lot of value playing it so passive. It's absolutely true that once in a while he'll also have AA and you'll get mega-coolered, but at the end of the day you're missing a ton of value slow playing.