$10 NLHE Full Ring: It was bad beat or I am idiot?

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 63.2 BB
BTN: 98.5 BB
SB: 54.4 BB
BB: 80.9 BB
UTG: 100 BB
Hero (UTG+1): 100 BB
MP: 110.5 BB
MP+1: 89.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: A:spade:

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, MP+1 raises to 5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, MP+1 calls 5 BB

Flop: (21.5 BB, 2 players) 6:spade: Q:spade: J:heart:
Hero bets 12.3 BB, MP+1 calls 12.3 BB

Turn: (46.1 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
Hero bets 26.4 BB, MP+1 calls 26.4 BB

River: (98.9 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
Hero bets 51.3 BB and is all-in, MP+1 calls 40.8 BB and is all-in

Hero shows A:club: A:spade: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 81%, Flop 81%, Turn 18%)
MP+1 shows 9:club: 6:club: (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
(Pre 19%, Flop 19%, Turn 82%)
MP+1 wins 172.4 BB

Thank everyone for answered
It was a new player and I had not stats about him

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That 9 would have made me a little leery because of the straight possibility anyway, so I wouldn't have bet as high, especially with him calling after turn as well.. (and my mind would have started wondering about the dreaded 666) but it was a bad beat regardless. imho

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That 9 would have made me a little leery because of the straight possibility anyway, so I wouldn't have bet as high, especially with him calling after turn as well.. (and my mind would have started wondering about the dreaded 666) but it was a bad beat regardless. imho

I do not agrue, it is my mistake. When I was on the river, I did not think about set, but call on the flop after 4-bet with 96c , It is just crazy

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a minimum raise in preflop you must respond very aggressively. The minimum standard in this case is to increase to 0.20, because the small proportion of 3bet is equivalent to a limper IP range. In addition as the villain has 89bb of effective stack, this is a clear sign that MP + 1 could play recreationally and not be a regular of NL10.
On the flop the continuation bet was a little small. Considering your preflop range of aggression, in this case you should continue with 75% of the pot here, since in the postflop you have achieved 0% of leaks and combinations such as: J-T; Q-K; A-T; K-9; Q-8; T-T. They want an economic sequence, because the villain has shown a sufficiently wide range in preflop and now is the time to deny equity to his draws and charge more to his dominated values.
Eventually you will lose when the villain has 0% fold equity when he gets any value. But in these cases of strong hands, playing aggressively in preflop will benefit you in the long term and you will be able to play more balanced in postflop. In this case the cbet-flop must be bigger to compensate for the minimal 4-bet defense that you used in preflop.
Greetings.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A A

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, MP+1 raises to 5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, MP+1 calls 5 BB

Flop: (21.5 BB, 2 players) 6 Q J

Turn: (46.1 BB, 2 players) 9

River: (98.9 BB, 2 players) 3

Hero shows A A (One Pair, Aces)
MP+1 shows 9 6 (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
MP+1 wins 172.4 BB

So first of all with you being oop, I believe that a larger raise size is warranted. 4x-5x this folds out most of his marginal hands preventing situations like this.

Proceeding to the flop, I’d put roughly a 30%-40% bet in this allows villain to call with enough worse hands.

Looking at this hand I believe that it’s the preflop bet sizing that has killed your hand a little bit. Giving marginal hands way too good a price to call
Hence leading to this situation because let’s face it a lot of players don’t fold any pair

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So first of all with you being oop, I believe that a larger raise size is warranted. 4x-5x this folds out most of his marginal hands preventing situations like this.

Proceeding to the flop, I’d put roughly a 30%-40% bet in this allows villain to call with enough worse hands.

Looking at this hand I believe that it’s the preflop bet sizing that has killed your hand a little bit. Giving marginal hands way too good a price to call
Hence leading to this situation because let’s face it a lot of players don’t fold any pair
Thank you very much)

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your mistake is sizing. You have nuts preflop and after his 3bet i would 4bet with potbet size.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the 4 bet is undersized and equates to slow play allowing V to stay in with a wider range. Reads are also important. Did this guy just sit down? How often has he be 3 betting? What has he shown down? Do we have stats? At any rate OOP against his min 3 bet we should be putting in a real 4 bet for value. 15 BB seems fine. Maybe a little more depending on reads. Flop I think 1/2 pot is probably ok if we would have sized up pre. But as played it's not really like a 4 bet pot because the 3 bet and 4 bet were so tiny. So as played we need to size up flop to charge all the flush and straight draws and Qx and combo draws. 2/3 is fine on the turn but when he calls I think we need to x/eval river since he's wide enough to have to pair. We're still probably calling it off most of the time as he has some missed spade draws that will jam but when we jam in front we typically mostly get called by better hands and sticky top pairs and never get value from his bluffs. We also allow him to check back or make a smaller value bet with hands that beat us. I don't think we ever loose much value in hands that would have called a jam but do not bet for value. It is still possible that if we size up pre flop V still calls, still floats bottom pair on the flop and still catches two pair on the turn. In that case it's more of a cooler in my opinion.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A A

Flop: (21.5 BB, 2 players) 6 Q J

Turn: (46.1 BB, 2 players) 9

River: (98.9 BB, 2 players) 3

Hero shows A A (One Pair, Aces)
MP+1 shows 9 6 (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
MP+1 wins 172.4 BB

Put a not on this Villain and move on! What really matters here is that it has 3-bet UTG (preposterous mini 'ish' sizing) with 96s, a very weak combo that should be folding here 100% of times, period. This Villain is the famous flush chaser, as described in Polished Poker Vol 1, available here in the forum, look for it, very good book.
The only different thing you could have done was to evaluate river, which means, check river and see what crazy things villain can do, so we do have options. When we jam OTR it seems very much that "we have pocket rockets no one can beat us", so we give Villain the chance to fold all of its weakest holdings and call us only with hands that have us beat like QJ, KT, QQ, JJ, 99, etc.
One important fact here is that your 4-bet was very, very cheap, so you induced villain to pursuit its flushes and non-sense equities.
We are not simply idiots or genious. We are only playing poker, let's get out of our minds for a second.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa