$10 NLHE 6-max: Villain raised after double check in 3 bet pot, river decision

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, no info about villain. What does double check then raise usually mean on nl10? Do you call river? Potential flush and straight draw missed, but his bet is really healthy.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/convert

Player3 (UTG): $10.00 (100 bb)
Player4 (MP): $16.00 (160 bb)
Hero (CO): $11.04 (110 bb)
Player6 (BU): $12.07 (121 bb)
Player1 (SB): $11.50 (115 bb)
Player2 (BB): $10.30 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero (Hero) is CO with T♠ J♠
1 fold, Player4 (MP) raises to $0.30, Hero (CO) 3-bets to $0.90, 3 players fold, Player4 (MP) calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.95) J♦ 9♠ 9♥ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) checks, Hero (CO) checks

Turn: ($1.95) 3♦ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) checks, Hero (CO) bets $0.90, Player4 (MP) raises to $1.80, Hero (CO) calls $0.90

River: ($5.55) 4♥ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) bets $5.28, hero???

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello, no info about villain. What does double check then raise usually mean on nl10? Do you call river? Potential flush and straight draw missed, but his bet is really healthy.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/convert

Player3 (UTG): $10.00 (100 bb)
Player4 (MP): $16.00 (160 bb)
Hero (CO): $11.04 (110 bb)
Player6 (BU): $12.07 (121 bb)
Player1 (SB): $11.50 (115 bb)
Player2 (BB): $10.30 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero (Hero) is CO with T♠ J♠
1 fold, Player4 (MP) raises to $0.30, Hero (CO) 3-bets to $0.90, 3 players fold, Player4 (MP) calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.95) J♦ 9♠ 9♥ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) checks, Hero (CO) checks

Turn: ($1.95) 3♦ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) checks, Hero (CO) bets $0.90, Player4 (MP) raises to $1.80, Hero (CO) calls $0.90

River: ($5.55) 4♥ (2 players)
Player4 (MP) bets $5.28, hero???

Not the best combo in the world to be 3-betting vs EP. When we do hit TP we never know if we are ahead. We are 3-betting combos like this one (JTs) when we know for sure that the player in the EP/MP is very weak postflop that can be overplayed or that it folds too much to 3-bet OOP x IP, otherwise we are just trying to be fancy and play with skills we don't really own.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JT is a good combination to play it. We can call or raise from PF. Maybe it is better to call in NL10 when we are IP and we are facing a villain with a deep stack (this is not the case, since V is effective with 160bb), because MP will have a better playing margin and will often limit our SPR in the postflop.
On the flop we can make a continuation bet, since from MP the villain could protect the table pair with some combinations like Ax; Kx. Although we are behind better draws (AT; KT; QT; KQ) these possibilities are compensated by worse pairs than villain could call here. For example: T-T; 8-8; 7-7. While overpairs in range V are less likely, because is most possible that they leading the bet in preflop.
On the turn your bet is a little small. It is necessary to balance the sizes higher here, since you did not bet on the flop and you are also very unprotected (the T protects you only 62% of the time, compared to better kickers).
On the turn the villain's raise is a bit artificial. What makes me doubt is the size that V used (2X). This sounds like some middle hand like A-3, for which the villain chooses to extract more value from a depolarized hero range, for example from: AK; AQ; QK; QT.
On the river the villain bet polarizes his range between trips of 9 and double pairs minors than the hero. Without reads abouts V this is a standard fold for NL10.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, since you have position, I prefer just calling the UTG +1 player's raise.

TJs can easily be dominated by that player's raising range from early position, and just calling pf keeps the stack to pot ration larger and gives you more maneuverability on later streets.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree pre flop could be a call or a 3 bet. Usually I'd want make the decision based on the villain's stats. I don't want to 3 bet some mega nit, do want to 3 bet a reg who overfolds to 3 bets based on a solid sample, and definitely want to 3 bet a weak player or fish to isolate them. But you have no info... so I'd be very tempted to just call.

I am definitely C betting on that flop. You have top pair, a draw to a full house and backdoor draws galore. Yes the flop does hit plenty of your opponents range, particularly drawing type hand, but this is even more reason to make him pay to continue!

I think here delay C Betting has made you look weak when the turn card is such a dud. And it is not a strong bet amount. Now villain might not only be reraising some slow played strong hands (never how I'd play them, but of course some people like to think they are tricky), but also might feel he can bluff you off either a draw or a middle pair type hand... or a weak top pair hand.

As played, I typically just file turn reraises under 'strong hand/usually not a bluff'. I fold it and move on against an unknown unless I can justify I have the odds to call based on any outs I have to the nuts. Calling another .90 to win 4.65 does not look awful, but you'd need 8 solid outs to even make that a 50/50 shot.

This is not the sort of pot I bother fighting for. If I did get inquisitive and call the turn reraise for some reason, I'm definitely folding vs the river shove against most players.

When I don't have any info on someone I tend to err on the side of caution. Look for better spots against the weaker players you do have info on. I am not saying you are never getting bluffed off here when you are actually ahead (which you can minimise here by C betting the flop!), but I would suggest you'll come out ahead if you avoid these sorts of spots against unknowns and just focus on targetting the weaker players, or at the very least players who you have some stats on.