$10 NLHE 6-max: UTG Raise gets 3 bet

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please, someone explain how 3-betting works... any books? videos? What do I do when I get 3 bet? When should I re-raise pre?

Sorry- to be honest its not an interesting hand, I just really need help with the strategy of 3-bet pots/flops.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
BTN ($17.07) [VPIP: 18.8% | PFR: 12% | AGG: 26.1% | 3-Bet: 7% | hands: 196]
SB ($10.4) [VPIP: 31.7% | PFR: 19.5% | AGG: 28.6% | 3-Bet: 8.3% | Hands: 43]
BB ($3.83) [VPIP: 45.1% | PFR: 34.1% | AGG: 26.8% | 3-Bet: 19.4% | Hands: 92]
HERO ($10.57) [VPIP: 30.2% | PFR: 24.8% | AGG: 40.4% | 3-Bet: 4.5% | Hands: 1091]
HJ ($10.48) [VPIP: 40% | PFR: 25% | AGG: 20% | 3-Bet: 27.3% | Hands: 20]
CO ($10.81) [VPIP: 11.9% | PFR: 11.9% | AGG: 100% | 3-Bet: 7.1% | Hands: 43]

Dealt to Hero: A:club: K:diamond:

HERO Raises To $0.35, HJ Raises To $0.85, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HERO Raises To $2.90, HJ Calls $2.05

Hero SPR on Flop: [1.27 effective]
Flop ($5.95): 7:heart: 3:spade: 8:diamond:
HERO Bets $2.81 (Rem. Stack: 4.86), HJ Raises To $7.58 (allin), HERO Calls $4.77 (Rem. Stack: 0.09)

Turn ($21.11): 7:heart: 3:spade: 8:diamond: T:diamond:

River ($21.11): 7:heart: 3:spade: 8:diamond: T:diamond: J:spade:

HJ shows: J:heart: J:club:

HJ wins: $19.94

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general you should play tight against 3-bets out of position, and especially in a situation like this, where you open UTG, and UTG+1 pops it up right away with the entire table still left to act after him. However that being said AK is certainly to strong to fold to an undersized 3-bet, so you have to continue here.

You can continue by calling or 4-betting, and the best strategy is actually to mix it up a bit, because AK is a hand, you have so often. Its nice to have AK in your calling range on A high or K high flops, and its also a nice 4-betting hand, because it block AA and KK.

This time you 4-bet, and that is fine. However stacking off postflop, when you completely miss, is a spew. You can either check the flop or bet very small like 25% pot, and in both cases you have to fold, if you face any significant aggression from him.

I know, the spot suck. You put in a quarter of your stack already, and now you have to check-fold. But sometimes there is no better option, when you are out of position in a 4-bet pot and missed the board completely. Its not exactly a shocker, that he had a hand like JJ. In fact this is exactly the kind of hand, he is supposed to be calling your 4-bet with.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply.

OK, good to know to let it go on a flop like that. I'd feel more comfortable betting rather than facing a bet, but on a board like that where we have nothing, it might be a check fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a very strong hand, so a third preflop climb is acceptable.
In this case, if you matched the second bet of the villain, your stack was reduced by 8%
Considering that you must do tribet, you should keep 75% of your stack, so as not to enter your push line. (It would also be acceptable with this hand in 3bet, since you block top pairs)
Then you should raise the remaining 16%, this would be approximately a 3bet of: 2.5 at most, so that your 3bet is profitable and you can make a comfortable fold to a fourth preflop bet.
Greetings.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to 4-bet a slightly smaller amount if you're going to 4-bet. I don't hate a 4-bet against someone who might be a bit of a maniac here. Calling is also fine.

On the flop, you're better off checking and either check shoving and committing your opponent with a worse hand, or seeing a free turn.

Since you asked, if you have $7, this is the best course you're going to get from A-Z on online poker:
http://pokerzion.com

There's a lot of good free content out there as well. There's an advanced series here that a new 3-bet video is going up this week actually.

http://drivehud.com/blog/video-category/drivehud-free-poker-training-videos/

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to 4-bet a slightly smaller amount if you're going to 4-bet. I don't hate a 4-bet against someone who might be a bit of a maniac here. Calling is also fine.

On the flop, you're better off checking and either check shoving and committing your opponent with a worse hand, or seeing a free turn.

Since you asked, if you have $7, this is the best course you're going to get from A-Z on online poker:
http://pokerzion.com

There's a lot of good free content out there as well. There's an advanced series here that a new 3-bet video is going up this week actually.

http://drivehud.com/blog/video-category/drivehud-free-poker-training-videos/

What's a good 4-bet size then? 3x?

S

stoper92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually 2.3-2.4 x 3bet, so in this spot I prefer ~20bb (you can add 1bb, up to 22-23bb because you are out of position).

There is also one important thing, I've got so much problem with. How wide should I defend my range vs 3 bets OOP? There's a big difference between defending UTG vs BU and HJ vs BU, but how should I create my ranges? In this spot (AKo) is hand, which I mix -depends on villain. What if my opening range is about 15% on UTG, should I defend only top 5%? More, less? What about CO vs BU with 27% open-raising? 10-15%? Some hands to 4 bet for value, some hands for 4bet bluffs and some calls?