$10 NLHE 6-max: trips, to call or not to call??

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have some history with that player but most hands were played in the past before i took a larger break.
he was more passive back then but i noticed he put up the aggression recently.

888 Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 3 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 104.6 BB (VPIP: 24.63, PFR: 20.35, 3Bet Preflop: 8.09, AF: 1.91 Hands: 1,423)
Hero (BTN): 216 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 8

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 4 6 6
BB checks, Hero bets 2 BB, BB raises to 7.2 BB, Hero calls 5.2 BB

flop is great and i decide to make a small bet, he raises and i think ok hes bluffing, he does that all the time.. (we are 3 handed thats why i open so loose)

Turn: (20.9 BB, 2 players) 5
BB bets 13.9 BB, Hero calls 13.9 BB

turn is ok as i block the straight, question is should i raise?
i decide to call to keep his bluffs in because the only hand i beat is 76 and some overpairs he shouldnt even have in that spot..
if he is on a draw, i assume he wont get it in here on a paired board, maybe im wrong..

River: (48.7 BB, 2 players) 3
BB bets 36.4 BB, Hero calls 36.4 BB

river is super ugly, now even 76 beats me like 62 and 63 (if he ever would have that)
so now i actually only beat a pure bluff and i have no notes to help with my decision.
turn timer almost ran out but i thought f it, i know he is capable of doing it and the whole line just looks so bluffy plus he can now have a missed flush draw so i call..

how would you play this hand? would you call or even raise at some point?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it fine it's unfortunate the baord ran out so ugly for you if they caught the hand but i think calling down was ok. You could go ahead and raise the turn but with your kicker what worse hands do you expect to call vs a turn raise ? not many.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold before the flop. You hand is really bad, and the fact, there are 3 empty seats on the table, is largely irrelevant. You are still opening from BTN and should use the same range, weather there are 3, 4, 5, 6 or 9 players on the table. But ok you opened, and its not the end of the world. While preflop mistakes add up over time, they are never as costly as big postflop mistakes.

Flop and turn are pretty standard. The only thing, you could possibly do different, is to bet a larger size on the flop. And I think, this does matter at least a little bit to the river decision, because I think, a small bet on a paired board can induce a lot of spass. A lot of go "LOL I know, you missed", and they basically just raise any two cards, when they see a paired board. And when you bet small, it look kind of weak, so it might well induce that action even further.

Sure by the river you dont beat any like reasonable bluffs, but the point is, it does not need to be reasonable. There are still a ton of hands, that missed this board completely and just have two overcards, and I honestly think, he can have almost any of these and decide to go crazy on you. So while folding the river would be ok, I kind of like sticking my foot down here and calling down an aggressive regular.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold before the flop. You hand is really bad, and the fact, there are 3 empty seats on the table, is largely irrelevant. You are still opening from BTN and should use the same range, weather there are 3, 4, 5, 6 or 9 players on the table. But ok you opened, and its not the end of the world. While preflop mistakes add up over time, they are never as costly as big postflop mistakes.

Flop and turn are pretty standard. The only thing, you could possibly do different, is to bet a larger size on the flop. And I think, this does matter at least a little bit to the river decision, because I think, a small bet on a paired board can induce a lot of spass. A lot of go "LOL I know, you missed", and they basically just raise any two cards, when they see a paired board. And when you bet small, it look kind of weak, so it might well induce that action even further.

Sure by the river you dont beat any like reasonable bluffs, but the point is, it does not need to be reasonable. There are still a ton of hands, that missed this board completely and just have two overcards, and I honestly think, he can have almost any of these and decide to go crazy on you. So while folding the river would be ok, I kind of like sticking my foot down here and calling down an aggressive regular.

i agree my preflop game is not optimal at all but 86o is really the lowest bottom of my range.
i realized when i play to tight 3 handed i kinda blind away (maybe because i dont 3bet enough oop)

i just startet to use smaller bet sizes recently but feel much more comfortable like that.
i feel like people dont respect my bets anyway if i dont overbet, so i dont loose so much when bluffing and i get value from from all kinda trash hands.
on more coordinated boards i bet larger of course

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont actually mind the small flop bet. You are either way ahead or way behind most of the time, so you dont gain much from betting big and making him fold. I just think, the small flop bet somewhat increase the chance, that he is on some wild bluff here. If he have a hand like QJ, he dont want to fold to such a small bet, but he cant really call either, so instead he raise and turn his hand into a bluff.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
86o is a standard open HU
I'm opening even on 6max,full ring from btn
The hand is a bit weird cause he doesn't have many nutted hands on river.
He has a ton of bluffs on river tho & we block 78 but a tough call obv

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had twice as much stack as bb, so I would have bet on the turn. In this way you are forcing the villain's call, to look for the color of spades, or to find the ladder you block.
I think a bet on the turn is important in this case.
I think the call you made on the river seems reasonable.
If you decided to enter with 6-8o from btn, playing check-raise on the river is risky, plus you do not have a decent kicker to try.
Greetings.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you thought he was more passive, why didn't you 3-bet the flop?

I think at these stakes you can fold, but it's not a horrible call if you called. You block a lot of his straights, and sometimes on paired boards people go a little whacky and bluff more than they normally would.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would say don't overplay your trips when you're so deep, unless you have a great kicker. That's what I have been experiencing a lot in my games lately is that if you're not being beat by a boat, you're usually up against someone with trips too but an ace as their kicker. Think what you want to pay for with a hand like 68o going in. I would want a straight or a boat for my stack. Anything less I will usually have a cut-off for how many blinds I am willing to put behind it.

In this particular situation it is playing out a lot like your villain has the other 6. Otherwise he may have hit a boat on the flop and is letting you tow him to the river. Rarely you will be facing a bluff here.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think at these stakes you can fold, but it's not a horrible call if you called. You block a lot of his straights, and sometimes on paired boards people go a little whacky and bluff more than they normally would.

hmm 3bet the flop?? to a passive player i wouldnt do this because they rarely x/r without the nuts from my experience.
he was passive on my hud but in this hand i assumed he is aggro because he raised my cbets like every hand we played that day. i just didnt know if he will continue bluffing 3 streets cause i always folded before showdown.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Ye i dont really get this logic either, were getting check raised by a more passive player why would we 3bet trips without a kicker on a relatively dry board for us ? i dont really get what range were expecting to be up agaisnt by 3betting the flop.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost forgot to post the result..
he was bluffing with QTs, backdoor FD but no draw on the turn.

thanks for the replies!
wasnt sure if my play was good or if i just got lucky. so how i understand it, its ok to fold in this spot but if u have some kinda read its good to call, to not get exploited so easy. actually the player left the table a few hands later, like he only came here to bluff me hehe

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for sharing the results. I am not surpriced, he showed up with this kind of hand :)