$10 NLHE 6-max: Spot that always gets me in trouble.

T

thebaitedone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a spot that in constantly getting me in trouble. I'm not sure if I'm playing too many tables and not paying close enough attention and just on auto pilot mode.

In this spot I chose to to flat the turn bet hoping that he would continue on the river. Scare card comes up I check. He jams....my thought is that he's just betting the scare card and I call.

It seems to happen all to often that I'm calling bad rivers in hopes that he's bluffing. I'm still a massive winner in this game, but I feel like this is a bad leak that I'm not sure on how to approach fixing it.

Also this is my first post, so if the format isn't correct I apologize.

pokerstars Zoom Hand #197524615027: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2019/02/26 11:24:02 MT [2019/02/26 13:24:02 ET]
Table 'Aludra' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: BigEarn86 ($10.70 in chips)
Seat 2: poulefrite ($14.24 in chips)
Seat 3: hannesm7 ($12.91 in chips)
Seat 4: Santos Snow ($10 in chips)
Seat 5: Alex3594 ($9.99 in chips)
Seat 6: thebaitedone ($13.43 in chips)
poulefrite: posts small blind $0.05
hannesm7: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thebaitedone [5h 6h]
Santos Snow: folds
Alex3594: folds
thebaitedone: raises $0.20 to $0.30
BigEarn86: calls $0.30
poulefrite: folds
hannesm7: folds
*** FLOP *** [4s 7d 2c]
thebaitedone: checks
BigEarn86: checks
*** TURN *** [4s 7d 2c] [8c]
thebaitedone: bets $0.36
BigEarn86: raises $0.84 to $1.20
thebaitedone: calls $0.84
*** RIVER *** [4s 7d 2c 8c] [4c]
thebaitedone: checks
BigEarn86: bets $1.70
thebaitedone: calls $1.70
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BigEarn86: shows [9c Jc] (a flush, Jack high)
thebaitedone: mucks hand
BigEarn86 collected $6.26 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $6.55 | Rake $0.29
Board [4s 7d 2c 8c 4c]
Seat 1: BigEarn86 (button) showed [9c Jc] and won ($6.26) with a flush, Jack high
Seat 2: poulefrite (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: hannesm7 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Santos Snow folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Alex3594 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: thebaitedone mucked [5h 6h]

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With an open ended straight draw on the flop, I think a cbet is pretty crucial. Maybe he would have folded his 2 overs, maybe not. Runner runner flush is always a drag when you're on the losing end, but other than the missed flop bet, I don't see anything horrible.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a bet on the flop but other then that you played it fine. River spot is read dependent but given the bet size is value heavy I'd lean towards a fold.

Edit - sorry misread the history, you have to raise his 3bet on the turn. Your missing too much value from worse hands.

Last edited:
R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cbet flop, 3bet turn.

You must cbet flop, as you want to keep your range here wide and not give up the lead with a weak flop. He almost certainly would not put you on your hand when you hit the straight.

Turn 3bet bc a) u have the nuts and need to extract value now (as opposed to hoping he bets again on the river). b) if he has a draw (like he had), you are putting yourself in a sticky spot on the river when a scare card comes (like a paired board or flush) bc the pot is bloated.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must 3bet turn, because the river will come out a lot of bad cards for any action. On the river better play is bet-fold i think.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are slowplaying a hand you are at risk of getting drawn out on. That's what happened here.
You had another reason to put in a c-bet on the flop. It wouldn't have been a bluff because you had some nice odds on what otherwise be a reasonable dry board. Even against AK off-suited you'd be favorite to win the hand.
Other than the flush draw on the turn, it wasn't exactly a wet board so I understand you would call the turn and hope another club doesn't come off, check back to him and hope he bluffs and then check-raise. But the most important thing you can learn here is to value-bet. Especially at these stakes, always value-bet your made hands, because it's not like you're playing Phil Ivey here.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn is a mandatory 3-bet for you. Why? Well, your opponents range is going to be mostly draw/set if he checked that flop and raised that turn. You want to get the money in now. It's unlikely he has an overpair, and there's no real reason for him to have air there either because he would have bet the flop if he was going to bluff w/ overs.

And you should be bet/folding the river rather than check/calling. If you're check calling, your saying your opponents range is mostly bluffs at this point and there's no reason to think that. He either has a set or a flush. You don't want to take the chance of him checking behind his set and you want to be the person setting the river pricing.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cbet flop and then shove after his raise on the turn.
You need to maximise your profit here with an awesome hand.
Slowplaying does not accomplish this

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think this flop is great for either range, villain probably has overall equity advantage but we have but advantage. I’d think we’d get to bet at a decent frequency, 88-QQ, A7s and 87s benefit from equity denial and we’re drawing to huge strength.

I’m not saying never check the oesd but it should be the exception. Having this in x/c and x/r range at a none 0 frequency will be fine.

BTN should mostly bet trips and OP’s for the same reason you should, ensuring that when we lower the spr of the pot we use appropriately strong hands. So he gets to this turn really weak, i prefer a smaller bet.

I’m not sure we ever flat the 2B. Possibly but at an ultra low frequency, but vs a raise on the turn at 10nl it’s a pure strat raise. We have loads of hands to bluff here too. Also our hand isn’t invulnerable.

This isn’t a pure bluff catcher since we beat villains turn raise value range that raised us. Easy call.