$10 NLHE 6-max: Playing QQ from big blind

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0.05/0.10 stakes, 6 seated, i am in the BB with QQ.
Utg raised to 0.30, everyone folds to me and i re raise to 0.95, after some time he calls.
Flop - 10h 4c 2c, i bet 1.35, villain re raises quickly to 4.35.
From here i was worried about a set for some reason, i chose to go all in as i had him covered, what would you do in this situation? I know it seems easy but i really wasnt sure. :)

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HU oop and about 4.5spr so gii with an overpair is never much of a mistake. Or not terrible.

3B bigger oop.

This flops dry, villain shouldn’t have many bottom two sets even at this price. We share tens. So we have range advantage. That said the flop bets too big, we let villain play pretty well. We only need a 1/3psb and we can bet range at that.

When villain raises, because the flops so dry it’s hard for villain to be bluffing. If villains turned a set or slow played AA into a raise here I’d take a note.

For me the questions would be does villain flat JJ, see the T high flop and get aggro. If so he has more combos of JJ than TT and I’d call and let villain barrel.

The boards so dry and our hands fairly invulnerable so raising isn’t best. Our relative hand strength isn’t quite robust enough for stacks to go in and us be ahead when compared to the times we let villain barrel of the unlikely bluff or JJ hand.

So call and call down almost all run outs.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HU oop and about 4.5spr so gii with an overpair is never much of a mistake. Or not terrible.

3B bigger oop.

This flops dry, villain shouldn’t have many bottom two sets even at this price. We share tens. So we have range advantage. That said the flop bets too big, we let villain play pretty well. We only need a 1/3psb and we can bet range at that.

When villain raises, because the flops so dry it’s hard for villain to be bluffing. If villains turned a set or slow played AA into a raise here I’d take a note.

For me the questions would be does villain flat JJ, see the T high flop and get aggro. If so he has more combos of JJ than TT and I’d call and let villain barrel.

The boards so dry and our hands fairly invulnerable so raising isn’t best. Our relative hand strength isn’t quite robust enough for stacks to go in and us be ahead when compared to the times we let villain barrel of the unlikely bluff or JJ hand.

So call and call down almost all run outs.
Wow this is a very detailed response thank you, the villain showed J 10 and my queens held so won 100 BB :)
On a flop with 2 suits i do bet bigger, is this something you dont advice?
And how do you put villains on a range throughout a hand?
This is something i think of where like a 5 8 is the nuts but and utg player wont play those hands etc but for players on the button and as a hand progresses how do you narrow it down please :)

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow this is a very detailed response thank you, the villain showed J 10 and my queens held so won 100 BB :)
On a flop with 2 suits i do bet bigger, is this something you dont advice?
And how do you put villains on a range throughout a hand?
This is something i think of where like a 5 8 is the nuts but and utg player wont play those hands etc but for players on the button and as a hand progresses how do you narrow it down please :)

The games aren’t dead.

I’d definitely note villain stacked off and raised flop bet with top pair bad kicker. Keep an eye on future actions from this player to see if it confirms that he does it light. This will help shape villains ranges in future. Again it’s a low spr pot so it’s not as bad as a higher spr single raised pot.

I miss read the board, didn’t see the flush draw. I’d still not cb as big but shoving is good. Villains invested half his stack and can call behind more now so our hands robust enough to retain its equity since villain has a lot of semi bluffs that might call as well. There’s lots of hands we have an interest in folding out like AcXc although it’s unlikely.

What do you do with AKhh or 89ss here, I’d pick a size that will fold out the weaker unmade hands at a good price for our weaker and unmade hands. The pot being big still allows for a 1/3 bet to still threaten stacks going in on turn and rivers.

Now we have info that villain is capable of getting aggro in a 3B pot with tp mediocre kicker I’d exploit and bet this size with value and use the smaller sizings with thinner value and bluffs. I don’t think this villain is good enough to punish us.

Hand reading is such a huge subject and I’m not sure what your asking.

But say this was BTNvsBB 3B low spr pot I’d imagine btn has nut advantage, since we have to 3B a wider range to defend, btn can and should call wider, we won’t be likely to 3B 44 or 22. Btn can defend these though.

So having an overall idea on what ranges look like, then using what we know about villain to see how likely these ranges are or if we need to adjust is the starting point.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your play is fine. I'd go a little bigger pre. Draws + air + weaker pairs is enough to get it in there.