$10 NLHE 6-max: Overplay Two Pair on Connected Flop?

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very short and to the point hand, just wondering if I overplayed this or if this is just a bad beat.
Here is a hand from NL10 Global Poker. I flopped two pair and ended up jamming on the flop in response to a big raise.

Hero: 8h9h

Raises in the small blind to .30
BB Villain flats in the BB.

FLOP: 8s9d10h

Hero bets .40
Villain raises to 1.80
Hero Raises to 10.00 and is all in
Villain calls

SHOWDOWN:

Villain shows JQ offsuit and I get stacked.

Many players on Global Poker like calling All-ins with draws. I feel this shove would have likely been better if there was a flush draw out there as well, and that calling would just put me in an awkward spot if a J or a 7 came. Folding out draws or making them pay to see seemed like the right option here with such a wide range from the BB, and might occasionally be called by some A9. Perhaps I should have just called and seen another street though, i don't know.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You overplayed your hand. Even though you flopped two pair, on this board there are a ton of hands, that beat you, and blind vs. blind he can have most of them. Its especially problematic, that 3 made straights are possible, because when he can have unsuited combos of these, there are 16 of each for a total of up to 48 combos. Maybe J7o is a bit unlikely, but he can definitely have all the others. He can also have all the better two pair, and once in a while he can have a set, although that is more unlikely. He can also have a ton of hands, that have a straighdraw and good equity.

So its actually really close, if you should even bet the flop. I will argue, that your hand probably play better as a check-call. You kind of need to see some completely brick turn, or even better fill up, before you confidently can start to pile money in the pot. Its not a mistake though to bet the flop, but the problem is, when this happen, and you get raised. As played the standard play is to bet-call, but if you find it to awkward and prefer to just get out cheap, that is certainly a lot better than jamming it all in.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The rise of the villain leaves you in an awkward situation for your hand.
Basically your hand could improve if it becomes a full house (4 outs) or if you form a color h: 10 outs.
and assuming that the villain does not carry hearts, you would have a total of 14 outs, which is approximately a 30% chance of improving your hand and winning.
Assuming your hand is the best possible, you would win 1 out of 3 times (approximately 30% in favor)
When the villain resounds you to 1.8, you have to put 1.4 to continue in your hand. That is, 4.5 times the value of your bet of 0.40. (Approximately 22% against you)
The push for your place is not a good option, since you move away from your favorable area and start to offer odds in favor of the villain.
Generally these boards have a lot of variance, and you must be careful when you cannot prevent the hands that defeat you from forming, as in this case, where you cannot block the lines that open for both sides.
In this case the call would have been a more standard movement, however even doing this, you would be on a very fine line, which leaves little room for a benefit and the risk is important.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically your hand could improve if it becomes a full house (4 outs) or if you form a color h: 10 outs. and assuming that the villain does not carry hearts, you would have a total of 14 outs, which is approximately a 30% chance of improving your hand and winning.

It was only a backdoor flushdraw, so we needed runner-runner to make a flush. Against QJo with random suits we had 22% equity on the flop.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, it's was a big overplay. If you had top two, it wouldn't be quite as bad, but with so many combos that beat you versus the fact that your opponent had position and it makes more sense for him to call, rather than raise with most of his draws, it was a significant overplay.

It happens. :)

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for the feedback. I recognize now that it was quite an obvious overplay. Sometimes you just need the affirmation after you get stacked with a good hand.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play a continuation bet-fold. Even a straight draw has a lot of outs against you. The two younger pairs can easily fold.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Though it may seem like a small difference, I would have preferred your play if you had top 2 pr, as opposed to bottom 2 pr.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You overplayed your hand. Even though you flopped two pair, on this board there are a ton of hands, that beat you, and blind vs. blind he can have most of them. Its especially problematic, that 3 made straights are possible, because when he can have unsuited combos of these, there are 16 of each for a total of up to 48 combos. Maybe J7o is a bit unlikely, but he can definitely have all the others. He can also have all the better two pair, and once in a while he can have a set, although that is more unlikely. He can also have a ton of hands, that have a straighdraw and good equity.

So its actually really close, if you should even bet the flop. I will argue, that your hand probably play better as a check-call. You kind of need to see some completely brick turn, or even better fill up, before you confidently can start to pile money in the pot. Its not a mistake though to bet the flop, but the problem is, when this happen, and you get raised. As played the standard play is to bet-call, but if you find it to awkward and prefer to just get out cheap, that is certainly a lot better than jamming it all in.

You got it correct. It was definite an overplayed hand. The other player could have called with a set or better two pair minimum, or 3 different straights. So when they basically raise your bet 3x, that is telling you something. The jam is not the correct play.

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That 2bet on the flop showed a rly strong hand. Also you was out of position. There is no huge 2bet call or repush on the flop vs position. Easy after opps 2bet.