€10 NLHE 6-max: Opponent tank-calls, then snap-raise against my Aces (timing tells)

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
€10 NLHE 6-max: Opponent tank-calls, then snap-raise against my Aces (timing tells)

I played against semi-aggressive fish who 3bets easily. My table image is Tight-Aggressive.

PRE-FLOP:
EP limps (0.10)
Others fold
Aggro Fish bets 0.20 (small blind) (stack: 8.57)
Hero raises AsAc 0.70 (big blind) (stack: 10.81)
EP and Fish calls

POT 2.10

FLOP 9d 4h 4s:
Fish check
Hero raise to 1.26 (pot 3.36)
EP fold
Fish TANK-CALL (took 10 seconds, usually around 3 seconds to take an action)

POT 4.62

TURN +6heart
Fish check normally
Hero raises 2.10 (pot 6.72)
Fish SNAP-RAISE immediately 4.20 (pot 10.92)
Hero?

tankcall-snapraise.png

What would you do based on those timing tells? What fish could have?
That was a difficult situation, min-raise, the villain has a short stack, big pot and very draw heavy paired board.

I need objective answers, that's why I am not revealing results, yet. Tell me what that timing tells tank-call and snap-raise from this type of player could mean?

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me, generally, a snap raise indicates a lot of strength. Of course, to a fish, what is considered a strong hand may not be what a more insightful player considers strong.

When Fish min-raises pre-flop, what kind of range would you put him on?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many lower pairs that you beat in the fish's range. Probably just cram the rest in.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, generally, a snap raise indicates a lot of strength. Of course, to a fish, what is considered a strong hand may not be what a more insightful player considers strong.

When Fish min-raises pre-flop, what kind of range would you put him on?

I can't say the difference between raise and min-raise from fish like this. They could min-raise with aces because they don't want to scare me away, or they have a marginal hand, or they do that all the time.

But by calling my 3bet I thought he could have 88+, high suited connectors or JQo+, a very low possibility he hit the flop.

By check-raise on the turn I thought he had flush or straight draw.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could have any 2 but so few hands that beat u.
the raise just tells that he likes his hand it could be 9x and so many draws out there.. i think its very rare to run into the nuts in this spot

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I think he had pocket nines.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're just shoving it in because fish over value hands. Long delay on flop because they are thinking, and then check snap min raise is a timing tell a lot of times, but they could also be thinking how to play 9x or some other mid pair.

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that he has two pairs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spots like this frankly suck, because how can he be bluffing with this sizing and so little left behind. But even so you committed yourself with your turn bet, and sometimes fish are goofing around with random nonsense, so no other option here than to just hate life, put him all in and hope for the best.

You could check back turn for pot control, but against a fishy player I am always betting for value with intention to get the rest in on the river. So even if he just check-call down, or donk bet the river, he is still getting my stack, if he someone has me beat here, and his silly mini-raise does not really change the results.

As for timing tells I typically dont put to much weight on them. Acting slow could mean, he was considering a raise or a fold, or maybe his wife just came into the room and distracted him. Acting fast can mean a very easy decision, or it can be an attempt to look strong.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id just get it in lots of worse hands fish can have.

Poker Tells