$10 NLHE 6-max: [NL10] AJs ~ Facing x/r T

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTN: $6.82 (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 32.14, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
SB: $22.42 (VPIP: 7.69, PFR: 7.69, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
BB: $28.67 (VPIP: 17.93, PFR: 14.67, 3Bet Preflop: 11.84, Hands: 193)
UTG: $30.52 (VPIP: 27.78, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 40.00, Hands: 19)
MP: $15.65 (VPIP: 30.77, PFR: 23.08, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
Hero (CO): $10.56

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J
club.png
A
club.png

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, SB raises to $0.80, fold, Hero calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.70, 2 players) 2
club.png
heart.png
J
spade.png

SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.90, 2 players) 7
club.png

SB checks, Hero bets $1.39, SB raises to $3.22, Hero calls $1.83

River: ($9.34, 2 players) T
heart.png

SB bets $6.00, fold

J

JustSoPro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind raising the turn because you don't want to let draw get there, but I'd say it was a good fold on the river, best case scenario you are chopping based on how the hand was played(Unless other player is a major whale). The 3bet pre put JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AJ, AK(bluff), AQ(Bluff), KQ, and KJ(Bluff) in his range. I would have considered folding on the turn when he check-raised you though.

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An interesting hand. Hope there should be more opinion on this hand.

Preflop: pretty standard for me. The only problem is you just played 13 hands with this villain then you don't know his 3bet range from the SB.

Flop: good bet. The board texture is on your side. He will miss so many hands like KQs, ATs, AK, and you get values from TT.

Turn: The turn check/raise from the villain is sth wired. He is representing a set like 77, 99 and only 1 combo JJ. He can also be bluffing with the KcQc, KcTc or QcTc these 3 combos. To call here is good to get all the money once both of you get a flush on the river.

River: The only hand he represents here is KcQc which makes sense to me to check raise the turn. It's loose to lead with a set or two pair here. Maybe some wired hands like A8s or 88 raise the turn. You block the flush draw and he is less likely to bluff you with a miss drawing. Here you can beat some air bluff here and maybe he overplay his QJs and KJs. It's really between call and fold to me. I like your folding here before you know more of this villain.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your line and rivers quite close but tptk is probably a call.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally would not call a 3 bet with AJs without further information on the villain as most people don't 3 bet wide enough in the game I play. Now that may be different in 6 max so it might be standard to call with AJs here.

The check min raise of the villain on turn is kinda strange as hes giving draws excellent odds to call both straight and flush draws are possible although straight draws are not in your range but can be in his range. So call on turn is a def yes for me.

Now if calling the 3 bet with AJ peflop is standard play then I might call the river bet with top pair top kicker due to the weirdness of the small CR on the turn. Given the club blockers you have hes less likely to have a missed flush draw so it is close between a call and a fold.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand quite well. Villain could be 3 betting light from the SB because you could have a wider range from the CO.

You could bet bigger on the flop vs calling stations, but against good solid players the 33% C-bet for that board texture seems good to keep your range wide.

I think the turn bet & call is good because even if opponent has sets & 2 pairs you still are drawing to the nut flush and they may shut down out of position on the river. River is definitely a fold though IMO. You miss your flush and TPTK doesn't seem that strong on a 4 to a straight board.

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the way you played the hand. His line is super strong, and I don't think they're bluffing enough in these spots to bluff catch.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally would not call a 3 bet with AJs without further information on the villain as most people don't 3 bet wide enough in the game I play. Now that may be different in 6 max so it might be standard to call with AJs here.

6-max suited broadway ace in pos. is pretty good looking. I cetainly would take at least a flop with it, while being wary that i have some slight kicker isues on an A high flop.

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand quite well. Villain could be 3 betting light from the SB because you could have a wider range from the CO.
You could bet bigger on the flop vs calling stations, but against good solid players the 33% C-bet for that board texture seems good to keep your range wide.

I think the turn bet & call is good because even if opponent has sets & 2 pairs you still are drawing to the nut flush and they may shut down out of position on the river. River is definitely a fold though IMO. You miss your flush and TPTK doesn't seem that strong on a 4 to a straight board.

I don't quite agree with your opinion for the river. The villain is still possible to bluff here for the wired turn action, and the hero just call which represents that hero has high possibility to have a JX or flush draw (all the middle pair or below should fold the check raise here). SB could use the river to bluff to let the hero to fold the top pair.

Nevertheless, I still like the folding :p

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The check min raise of the villain on turn is kinda strange as hes giving draws excellent odds to call both straight and flush draws are possible although straight draws are not in your range but can be in his range. So call on turn is a def yes for me.

Now if calling the 3 bet with AJ peflop is standard play then I might call the river bet with top pair top kicker due to the weirdness of the small CR on the turn. Given the club blockers you have hes less likely to have a missed flush draw so it is close between a call and a fold.

Well man folding AJs to 3bet in position is definitely a long-term losing play. Open your equilab calculator, you will find out AJs is the top 4.5% of the hand. Given a regular player open around 22% hands in the CO, you are folding more than 80% of the hand. What does it mean? That means you are too exploitable and I will 3bet you with a wider range from the SB.

In the CO you should fold hands like KJo, KQo, some weak pocket pairs 77-, and all the weak Axs below ATs, or even tighter you can fold AJo when you are facing super aggressive player. No matter you are in position or out of position, AJs should be a calling hand since it has so well playability.....

If you want to crush the 6 max IMO you should have a better range including calling 3bet range. Only calling the 4.2% hand will make you so exploitable.

I am crushing the 25 NL with +10BB/100 WR now.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well man folding AJs to 3bet in position is definitely a long-term losing play. Open your equilab calculator, you will find out AJs is the top 4.5% of the hand. Given a regular player open around 22% hands in the CO, you are folding more than 80% of the hand. What does it mean? That means you are too exploitable and I will 3bet you with a wider range from the SB.

In the CO you should fold hands like KJo, KQo, some weak pocket pairs 77-, and all the weak Axs below ATs, or even tighter you can fold AJo when you are facing super aggressive player. No matter you are in position or out of position, AJs should be a calling hand since it has so well playability.....

If you want to crush the 6 max IMO you should have a better range including calling 3bet range. Only calling the 4.2% hand will make you so exploitable.

I am crushing the 25 NL with +10BB/100 WR now.

I am a winning player on 50NL 9 max with a 15BB/100 so I am not complaining. As said the players on 50NL 9 max are so tight most dont 3 bet more then 5% of their hands even in the SB/BB positions so on 9 max I just fold AJs, If I notice that someone is 3 betting more then 8% I might start playing back with AJs.:D One should play exploitable poker - adapt against your opponents- in order to win the most.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dot think i like my reply tbh,i think rivers a fold the rest is fine.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a winning player on 50NL 9 max with a 15BB/100 so I am not complaining. As said the players on 50NL 9 max are so tight most dont 3 bet more then 5% of their hands even in the SB/BB positions so on 9 max I just fold AJs, If I notice that someone is 3 betting more then 8% I might start playing back with AJs.:D One should play exploitable poker - adapt against your opponents- in order to win the most.

I agree with all of this i think the poker world went GTO crazy and people seem incapable of making adjustments.Micro stakes are exploitable games and we want to play exploitable poker for the most part.Playing GTO poker is all well and good when you are playing people who are playing close to GTO themselves.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what metta says is true. We all like to say we play game theory optimal, but really, when you are playing a bunch of nitty semi-rocks, using GTO is like putting a 80K transmission in a ford pinto lol. Or having a biology doctorate speak to a 1st grade class on systems of the brain.

We get caught up so much in GTO, doing exactly what the math says, etc. while the fact of the matter is if your opponent only 3-bets 4% he has Jacks + and AK, so no matter if AJ is int he top % of hands it is an easy fold.

We also all need to be aware that 2nl plays different than 5nl which is different than 10nl which is different from 50nl. I make this mistake a lot when i post on micro threads, expecting players at .01/02 to play like i would at 10/20.

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No offense, just didn't know the game you are playing the players are so unbalanced and so tight. I don't play full ring online a lot and I dont quite know the dynamics the game you are playing. For 6max AJs is never a folded hand (in 4bet pot easy fold) unless you super assure the villain only 3bet 1.5% of the hand and will never check on any flop.

Facing player 3bet 4% of the hand, calling is still good for me to realize my equity, due to the pot odd and position.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you fold AJs on CO vs a 3bet your winrate is -300bb/100 with that hand. Don't you think that by defending it you will lose less and it will be probably winning hand for you anyway?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing player 3bet 4% of the hand, calling is still good for me to realize my equity, due to the pot odd and position.

if you fold AJs on CO vs a 3bet your winrate is -300bb/100 with that hand. Don't you think that by defending it you will lose less and it will be probably winning hand for you anyway?

Being in position yes and having sufficient pot odds can make this a call for me. The 3 bet was giving 1:2 pot odds which is just not enough for me to make this call. If I had 2:3 I surely would call with a suited A with straight possibilities. So its close for me.

As stated earlier 6 Max may be more action oriented meaning there is just more 4 betting and thus more then 4% 3 bets for the average person which could make that in a 6 Max situation I would also elect to call.

The equity arguments is lost on me as that would mean that I would have to call also with e.g. A2s as I guess that is almost as good or as AJs as it is just an A with a bad kicker in my opinion (at least in a 3 bet pot if the 4 better only 4 bets 4%).

From a hand equity point of view I guess your both right btw as the equity is about (according Flopzilla) 35-37% for a 4%-6% 3 bet range. But I don't like the domination of the A which makes me fold to much probably.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No offense, just didn't know the game you are playing the players are so unbalanced and so tight. I don't play full ring online a lot and I dont quite know the dynamics the game you are playing. For 6max AJs is never a folded hand (in 4bet pot easy fold) unless you super assure the villain only 3bet 1.5% of the hand and will never check on any flop.

Vs a 4% 3bet JJ+,AQs+,AQo+ you have 30% equity so not quite the equity you need to call although it is a very marginal spot .Tighter villains just don't have enough bluffs and the reverse implied odds are just massive.So we need to consider more than the preflop pot odds and even position. As they are negated in a big way by villains range being so tight and the lower spr. So i think vs a 4% 3bet AJs can be an exploitative fold.