€10 NLHE 6-max: Did I called too much with only Top Pair ?

E

Elthirius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I've played this hand earlier and I think I misplayed it, with too much calling...

It's zoom format, so no info on this player, and I've never played with him before. I generally defend my blind a little more playing this format, since people are stealing more easily.

So K 9 is an ok hand to at least go see a flop in a blind battle.

I catch TP on a board with straight draws (8 7 K♠). Villain continue as I would have in his position (3/4 of the pot being a little expensive). So here I only call, I thought about re-raising to avoid having to call multiple barrel if I'm behind. But I opted to only call.

Comes a 3♠. And the second barrel. He bet the pot this time. I usually let go at this time facing a second barrel with only TP. But nevertheless I called, not knowing where I was standing.

Final card the 5♠. The flush is now here. And Villain bet nearly twice the pot. I used all my extra time before finally calling it.

My thinking on this final street was that lot of K were beating mine (KT+,K8,K7,K5,K3 although the last 2 were barely credible, even for a small blind opening). Any spades which include the K♠which would explained his betting line. The remote 96/64. And the sets. That makes a lot of hands in front of me...

But I kept thinking his betting pattern was off. On the turn I thought he was protecting a good hand (two pair, a set) against a flush. And when the flush came, why overbet like that ? It really felt like he wanted me to fold.

So this time I called.

What do you think of every street plays ? How should I played it differently ?

Thanks for your inputs

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - €0.05/€0.10 - 6 players

UTG: €6.71 (67 bb)
MP: €11.54 (115 bb)
CO: €12.56 (126 bb)
BU: €24.40 (244 bb)
SB: €13.04 (130 bb)
BB (Hero): €9.59 (96 bb)

Pre-Flop: (€0.15) Hero is BB with K 9
4 players fold, SB raises to €0.20, Hero calls €0.10

Flop: (€0.40) 8 7 K (2 players)
SB bets €0.30, Hero calls €0.30

Turn: (€1) 3 (2 players)
SB bets €1, Hero calls €1

River: (€3) 5 (2 players)
SB bets €5, Hero calls €5

Total pot: €13 (Rake: €0.65)

Showdown:
SB shows Q J (high card, King)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 43%, Flop: 4%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) shows K 9 (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 57%, Flop: 96%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) wins €12.35

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't be to happy with the turn bet size but ye i think it's a call still. And i would be folding on the river tbh i expect alot of flushes and better made made hands. Top pair without a really good kicker i dont think is good very often here vs a tripple barrel line especially with the bet sizings. The river completed the flush draws and the staight draws plus you have all the sets and 2 pair and KTs+ KT+ beating you so thats alot of combos.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I would fold to that bet on the river.
I can see your logic for calling, villains big bet symbolises the nuts or nothing. I don't mind calling though, save your raises for hands that are two pair or better, or some good bluffs.
If your calling here all the time expect a lot of variance. Well played

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB vs, BB is fraught with problems. It is very difficult to come up with range and often comes down to to a bluffing contest. I can't argue with a simple call that ends the betting and leaves Hero with position.

As wide as villain's range is, she doesn't have that many Kings in her range. I would raise to define her range, prepared to fold to return pressure.

As played when a likely blank comes on the turn, Hero's call looks like what it is, a pair looking to get to show down.. If the plan is to call the river no matter what, then there is no reason not to re-raise fold, assuming villain would not do so without a better pair.

In the end it is a guess since Villain's hand is undefined.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be folding the river there always because the population doesn't 3barrel bluff as a whole that often. Your hand is a bluff catcher and once he bets nearly twice the pot OTR, it's an even easier fold. Sure, you'll catch someone bluffing here and there, doesn't mean it's a good call. You catch this guy, then you start thinking, damn, these guys really do bluff often this way and before you know it, you're calling these big bets on the river losing a ton of money.

For what it's worth, you can discount KT+ (even 2pair perhaps) from his range, he should be more polarized there. It's either the straight with 69 or the backdoor flush.

One last thing: if you haven't made a note on this villain betting these huge amounts as a bluff, it's like the hand wasn't played at all. You need to take the information to exploit this villain another time.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is brutal. How common is this line? Sample is super tiny but 2 three bets in 8 hands starts to raise red flags. It seems gross to call down here but Vs sizing does not appear to be associated with wanting to get any value. There is a straight draw on the flop but other than that it's not super wet so to bet 3/4 pot, then full pot, then overbet river it just looks like V doesn't want a call. It's still tough to call down with TP and a 9 kicker. I'm not sure I make it past the turn but if you're calling turn it seems really bad to give up on a blank river. Nice hand. As someone else said SB vs BB can easily get crazy. I wouldn't fault a fold pre here either until we have at least a couple of orbits to know what we are dealing with.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could have bunch of better hands (sets, double pairs, top pair with better kicker) so i would fold turn. call here with double pair and better