$10 NLHE 6-max: How to react to donk bet?

• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Putting down this hand from memory. No info on opponent- this was the 1st or second hand he played after sitting down.

4 handed, 100bb effective

CO folds
BTN HERO raises :jd4::10h4: to .35
SB calls
BB folds

Flop: (pot is ~0.85)

:8c4: :9c4: :4h4:

Villain bets .35
Hero raises to 0.85
Villain calls

Turn: (pot is ~2.40)
:8c4: :9c4: :4h4: :8s4:

Villain checks
Hero bets 1.00
Villain calls.

River: (pot is ~4.40)
:8c4: :9c4: :4h4: :8s4: :9h4:

Villain shoves
Hero folds

More interested in flop to turn play. Should we raise full pot?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, different players have very different motives behind their donks. You really need to know what kind of player you're up against rather than making blanket assumptions about how to react.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I don't think I is good to semi-bluff the turn when the board pairs, Unless he is on a draw himself he either gets stronger or it doesn't change much, He probably calls one time with most hands. You will have to bluff the river also if you miss (unless you give up).

On the flop he bets so small that you can either just call to hit or raise as a semi-bluff. If you are up against a player that can read your bet-sizes it often best to raise as much when you bluff as you do for value (like if you had a set).

River is of course often a full house. On lower levels people tends to over bet AND donk much more often for value than bluff. (Read-less you have to go for what the population most often do).

Last edited:
eddy78

eddy78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played perfect, the bet size is great, the thing is the board is very good for the SB range, and with you make a large bet I still don't see the villain fold, especially if he got a piece of it. The villain defends the blind very often with hands that connect very well if that board. overall I think was a good play by both. only the shove on the river that I don't get it. super overbet the pot, I believe that villain wants to get Maximo value in case you have an overpair or just a complete maniac. who knows:eek:

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you do not have any info on the villain i wouldn't bet on the turn. He already played weird in every street prior to that so he probably won't fold anyway.
On the flop i would raise bigger.. you almost min raised so yeah.. not expecting any folds with a min raise

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to semi-bluff, you need to go bigger than this. For him to lead out (donk bet), he need to have connected in SOME way, and when he have to call 50c to win a pot of 2,55$, he is not going to bet-fold.

Your turn bet was also very small, and honestly I might just check behind now. He is way more likely to have trips than you, and in the worst case you could be drawing dead, so this is not a good card for you to continue on.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! I like pot control against an unknown opponent, and if my hand is not strong enough, then I tend to cautious play. However, if it was a regular opponent, then I think it would be better to put a larger bet on the turn and put all in on the river. I don’t think he has a strong couple on preflop.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You have decided to aggressively play your JT off in position. Ok.
Flop
Coordinated board and the villain takes the initiative. Your hand does not block the color, so you discount 2 outs to your draw.
The bet on the flop was around 40% of the pot. This type of size can be compatible with some important hand you want to protect. (J-J +).
But its range can also include several Ac-xc style suit combos.
And at this size you increase it by 2.4 times.
I think the amount you increased is very small.
If you decided to play aggressively, this size does not end up achieving enough strength, to eliminate trash combos, which could improve on the turn.
On the contrary, you grant a speculative image. Like saying you're looking to complete your color.
The villain pays your raise and
You're telling yourself that he doesn't care about your mini raise and that he might have a monster. For example a set of 4 and at the same time you block the color with a street in your pocket.
This call is an indication that you are below its range, most of the time.
Although the villain does not have a hand made, he will be ahead of you. Since we can expect an overcard larger than yours from EP. Therefore you are more likely to be dominated by draw and blockers.
Turn
A street is bent and the villain marks. With that movement, he is showing you the strongest part of his range. At this point all combinations higher than yours are included and all junk combos are removed.
I honestly believe that your turn bet is susceptible to being cheated many times on the river.
Because the amount of average hands increases, that SB can turn them into semi bluffs and that they will have a lot of fold equity in the river. That was what finally happened.
I would have preferred the strongest re-raise on the flop. Maybe 4.5 to 6 times its increase. Then check behind on the turn and finally check-fold on the river.
Very difficult to turn into bluff from that texture.
Greetings.