** Dealing river ** [ Jc ]
Villain checks
Hero bets [$3.80]
Villain calls [$3.80]

** Summary **
Hero shows [ Kh, Kc ]
Villain shows [ 3s, 3c ]
Villain collected [ $13.88 ]

Strongly considered checking as what hands can call 3 streets that I beat, is this the correct thinking or was my play correct?

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure you raise more pre. x4 3bet oop and x3 in position. Is a good start.

Make them pay at preflop.

River is more of a check/call. There is a lot of danger out there like TTT JJJ and flushes. So the only hand we do beat is QQ.

doubt AJ is paying us here.

When playing against decent regs... Make your money early buddy.... fishies you get your money on later streets because they go right to the river consistently.

Last edited:
Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$0.05/$0.10 Blinds No Limit Holdem - 888 Poker

Total number of players : 5
BTN: ( $12.96 )
SB: ( $10 )
BB: ( $10.30 )
HJ: Villain ( $15.43 ) VPIP:19 PFR:19 Total AF: 0 Hands:38
CO: Hero ( $13.28 )

Posts small blind [$0.05]
Posts big blind [$0.10]

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ Kh, Kc ]
Villain raises [$0.20]
Hero raises [$0.65]
folds, folds, folds
Villain calls [$0.45]

** Dealing flop ** [ 7c, 3h, 2s ]
Villain checks
Hero bets [$0.72]
Villain calls [$0.72]

** Dealing turn ** [ Tc ]
Villain checks
Hero bets [$2.06]
Villain calls [$2.06]

** Dealing river ** [ Jc ]
Villain checks
Hero bets [$3.80]
Villain calls [$3.80]

** Summary **
Hero shows [ Kh, Kc ]
Villain shows [ 3s, 3c ]
Villain collected [ $13.88 ]

Strongly considered checking as what hands can call 3 streets that I beat, is this the correct thinking or was my play correct?

As soon as he min-raise-calls pre, you should put him on a medium pair (66-JJ) OR good aces (AT-AQo). In this case, the villain played the hand incorrectly preflop.

Of course, he got lucky and hit his 2outer, but in the long term cold calling with small pair is burning money. You don't make sets that often. Plus, with small pair there is a tiny chance you are actually good postflop, if you don't hit.

Now, make your preflop raise slightly bigger, as Aces already stated. You are trying to get in in pre w/ KK. When he has opened the pot, just click the "pot" button and fire back.

Flop: there is $1.45 in the pot if my math is okay. If you bet 1/2 pot, most decent players will call at least once w/ Ax and a BDFD, as this flop does not connect with your preflop 3-bet range too often. Given that, charge them for their draws / small pair by betting 2/3 - 3/4 pot here. AJ, for instance, would most likely fold. All you are leaving in are pocket pairs, sets.

When he check-calls there, you can be relatively certain that you are up against a pair. You beat 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ. 77 is what you need to be worried about. Ax of clubs (or two clubs in general KQ, QJ) would raise you on the flop.

I think it's a mistake on his part to not lead out on the flop. On a board that dry, given your preflop 3-bet, you will most likely call at least once yourself, so he is missing out on value.

Turn: when you see the turn, you should bet about 2/3 pot and if he calls here, you switch to check-mode on the river (unless it's a K of course). Once he goes for his check-call again, you can be quite certain that you are not ahead here.

So just cautiously check back the river here. The 7, T and J are all in his range. All you really beat is 88, 99 and QQ.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
leading out does rep weakness but at the sametime the board is dry which means it wont connect with hero much at all and he wanted to keep him in the hand and villain did allow hero to keep firing once he worked out hero had something. The only thing villain didnt do was shove on river and get stacks in

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet/folding river, villain call/raise range {QQ-TT,77,33-22,AcKc}
EVB/F= – 0.73*3.8 = -2.77

X/C river, villain B range {JJ-TT,77,33-22,AcKc}
EVX/C = -1*3.8 = - 3.8

Just saying that if you know yourself and know you don’t fold, but X/C, better bet.

Btw villain’s stats 19/19 are pointing to nit in heart, so 3 streets vs him is always a bit risky even with a set =) Also player like this donking should be auto fold, I know it would require a superhuman to do that though. The line would go something like C-C-F with overpair (and of course those getting it all in moments). With AK mostly fold I think.

Ian the Fish, why you say calling with small pair is wrong? I mean if we go by 20x rule, villain could correctly call even 3bet size of 0.80. What is your reasoning?

Last edited:

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually think you played this hand perfectly. I wouldn't have done anything differently. Even the sizing is correct on all streets.

@aces - Hero is in the CO and made a 3.25x raise. You said you'd raise bigger pre but then you said you'd only 3bet to 3x in position, which is contradictory. And why isn't Jx paying us off here? People hate x/folding after they've improved. Plus the sample size is far too small to determine whether UTG is a reg or not.

@Ian - I disagree that you can range villain that narrowly. There are plenty of suited hands like J9s that will play this way. And villain certainly could have a weak offsuit broadway hand here. We can't rule that out so easily. And why do you want to bet more than 1/2 pot on such a dry flop? Typically, we bet bigger on wet flops and smaller on dry flops. This is a dry flop so I like his sizing. And why should we check back river when we're blocking out most flushes with the Kc in our hand? This is a great river bet for thin value imo.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh well AcKc was just one combo anyways :blush:

6bet me@ Plus the sample size is far too small to determine whether UTG is a reg or not.

What else he can be? It’s doesn’t change the fact that he made small opening bet and obviously has fish in him, like all players in NL10. But how did he get to river with J I don't get.

Uhhhhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting Married To Big Pairs

I think you got married to your KK.

You bet over 3/4 pot or approximately 20-25% of their stack on the turn and got called. What did you think the villain had at this point? Were you putting them on a hand or just staring at your KK dreaming about the pot you were getting ready to win? :) That call screams, at minimum, two pair. Your move was to check/fold the river unless a K hit. I'm shocked they only flatted you on the river, unless you had been playing very tightly the whole session.

Remember, the board is usually not dry for everyone in the hand. Kenny Rogers said it best, "You've got to know when to hold 'em....."

Uhhhhhhhh

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should check back on the river. Unless villain is a complete calling station that will call down super light, you're either way ahead or way behind on that flush river with just one pair.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So just cautiously check back the river here. The 7, T and J are all in his range. All you really beat is 88, 99 and QQ.

When villain is check calling all three streets rather than raising, I'm leaning towards them having 88,99,QQ as opposed to sets. The stats that we do have show that he's not so passive where he would suspect him of just check calling a set three streets (although apparently that is the case here... very odd). If I check back and he shows 88,99,QQ I'm kicking myself. I think I go for thin value and bet-*cringe*fold.