$10 NLHE 6-max: Folded, but in hindsight should have jammed?

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the heat of the moment on the flop, thinking was villain probably had a set. But after folding, the more I think of it, the overbet, seems like a top pair from the board or Flush draw. Is jamming this ok?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $9.18 (92 bb)
MP: $3.38 (34 bb)
CO: $4.12 (41 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB: $16.25 (163 bb)
BB: $10.32 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A A
Hero raises to $0.20, MP calls $0.20, 2 players fold, SB calls $0.15, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 2 9 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.35, MP folds, SB raises to $1.40, UTG (Hero) folds

Total pot: $1.40 (Rake: $0.07)
SB wins $1.33

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the heat of the moment on the flop, thinking was villain probably had a set. But after folding, the more I think of it, the overbet, seems like a top pair from the board or Flush draw. Is jamming this ok?

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $9.18 (92 bb)
MP: $3.38 (34 bb)
CO: $4.12 (41 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB: $16.25 (163 bb)
BB: $10.32 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A A
Hero raises to $0.20, MP calls $0.20, 2 players fold, SB calls $0.15, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 2 9 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.35, MP folds, SB raises to $1.40, UTG (Hero) folds

Total pot: $1.40 (Rake: $0.07)
SB wins $1.33

You raised only 2x preflop from EP which isn't a great idea: at the micros, players love to call more than they should and when we are out of position, it doesn't matter if we are holding AA or if we do own a Top Set, we are not in a good shape.
What happens here is that by raising preflop so little you make the odds much better for the player in the MP to call not only with pocket pair but with a bunch of connectors and so the player in the SB.
It is harder for the SB to widen its preflop cold calling range when it comes a 3x raise, but when it comes a 2.5x and 2x, many players are going to call more than they should with a bunch of pocket pairs, suited cards and connectors (suited and off-suited)

After we do raise and get two callers ahead our AA, KK, QQ, JJ etc lost a lot of potential, and we don't own the Ace of Spades, which would be something that completely changes the complexion of the hand.

When we are out of position, our posture should be to be checking more often than c-betting, because if MP or SB raises us we are in a pretty out of light spot.
Besides, we cannot simply expect to c-bet 1/2 pot after two players called, because the pot is bigger than a single raised pot.

The postflop

The Flop

Here is the point and the core of the hand, we c-bet OOP for 1/2 pot and SB check-raises for more than the size of the pot (4x the time of your 1/2 pot c-bet) and this is very nasty because the flop is so connected and Villain has a lot of bluffs on its range when it does it such as FDs of Spades and the SDs.
We could be jamming right on the flop or call to jam the turn if we do own the Ace of Spades, but we don't own it.

Very complicated scenario dear mate, but I guess we cannot be folding on the flop yet. If SB sends another barrel OTT there is nothing we can do, but folding here seems too much NIT.
Unless, of course, you already have a decent hand history with Villain/SB to have some kind of certainty that it only check-raises flops with two pair or sets or very strong made hands.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you could bet larger flop to extract values from draws and overpairs as well.

With this AA combo, you will need to defend unless you have a sick read thay SB only raise with a set. I would tend to call the raise here facing unknown and proceed accordingly.

Re-raise is an option against wide check raise range but I tend to do it with QQ,JJ.

Re-raise to all in would likely be a mistake given high SPR.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you could bet larger flop to extract values from draws and overpairs as well.

With this AA combo, you will need to defend unless you have a sick read thay SB only raise with a set. I would tend to call the raise here facing unknown and proceed accordingly.

Re-raise is an option against wide check raise range but I tend to do it with QQ,JJ.

Re-raise to all in would likely be a mistake given high SPR.
You cant(well actually u can,but is not the best hand to bet big there,is beter bet big with sets and flushdraws that way u are polarized) bet big in there because u have to think in your entire rangue an you are full off overcards that dont wanth to face a raise. so check/calling thouse caind off boards is beter that way u protect your checks iff dont every time u x vilain will steal pot from u.

Last edited:
freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play it very nit,u can give up so eassylly on that hand he has a lot off flushdraws an OESDs that wanth to raise flop to denie equity from overcards.
I will rather X/C that flop and keep X/C iff board doenst get to conencted, but i dont mind betting small there, but u can fold his raise u arent bloquing any off his bluffes wish is perfect. Unlles u have notes about the vilain never bluffing ur fold is very nit.
And no u cant jam there ever because u will get paid only by hands that beat u like set and all his bluffes will fold,only +EV way to play there is to x/c and bluffcatch him.

Folding in Poker