$10 NLHE 6-max: Float or fold 99?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 27/21/7

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($10.74)
UTG ($10.40)
MP ($9.77)
Button ($7.45)
SB ($4.41)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9
club.gif
, 9
spade.gif

2 folds, Button bets $0.40, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) A
heart.gif
, 5
diamond.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $0.60, Hero...

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont float oop /thread

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise pre, you're way ahead of his range

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, not good to float OOP. Depending on villain's cbet and my image/table history, I might consider donk betting or even check raising, but not floating.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Floating OOP is fun. You can call yourself tom and dress up in cool shirts and a hat and play poker where you float. Its fun. Or just listen to that guy ^^ Sounds like he knows whats he;s doing ;)

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont float oop /thread

obv don't take this advice as an absolute rule.

I don't like to float here because we're drawing to only two outs(and maybe the 9d isn't good for us). Not only that but we're pretty much going to have to fold to any turn bet because our hand is just not that great. You know he's going to fire the turn a lot of the time too because of how aggro he is.

What was your plan preflop? If it was to setmine then fold flop. If it was to outplay this guy post flop, 3bet pre imo

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on his cbet/double barrel tendencies.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah it's a fold to the cbet given the position and opponent, and no, do not 3bet this pre.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ should we fold this pre-flop then against this type of player if we know we're going to have to fold to the cbet so often? Or is it okay set mining here do we think?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was setmining or hoping for a low flop. Am I not getting the odds to setmine? Giving his aggression I would be likely to get paid off?

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
set mine and that's about it, I bet he cbets like 75% of the time, and he double barrels a lot, so we still make a nice profit when we make a set even if he has A high and he missed.

when a player is this aggressive I say we let him fire when we hit, and just fold to a single cbet when we totally miss.

vs this kind of opponent I like to play a lot of connectors, 87s 9To, J8s if possible in position, when you make a real hand they will never see it coming and they will bet themselves to death.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your mistake here is not c-betting the flop.

1 shot, if he doesn't have an A, then its yours, and if he calls, you are done ......but checking is wrong...

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing set or forget vs. this guy is not going to be profitable.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's hard to cbet this flop with us not being the original raiser

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to cbet this flop with us not being the original raiser

Not hard to cbet the flop, oop means you have that vigorish, the hard part would be calling his raise of our cbet.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not hard to cbet the flop, oop means you have that vigorish, the hard part would be calling his raise of our cbet.

cbet is a continuation bet from the original raiser in which we are not

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cbet is a continuation bet from the original raiser in which we are not

OK, my bad on a terminology faupau.

However since the original raiser was the button, with all the baggage that entails, A first in vigorish bet (fivbet or vbet ?) would have the same effect as if these positions were not the button blind situation, but say UTG and the cutoff or button.

Bottom line here is that first to act has to find out if villain has that ace, or higher pp. 2 ways, raise to both rep you have the ace(s) or something worth playing with, or you can checkk giving villain a perfect 'free pass' which offers you no info at all. You know he will not pass up that opportunity, and you might as well have force folded on the flop.

If however, you bet first, and significantly, you run the risk of what? losing that bet? true, or taking down the hand, heads up this is a 50-50 situation (whether or not he believes you). But without info you are reducing your chances to a whim.

While everyone reads about the odds involved, there are times in poker where daring will out. Since PF it was only a minraise, a min 3bet would have been OK. He may have felt it was obligatory to raise the unopened button.

I don't like the passive approach here. Else fold 99 preflop....always........ Not gonna happen right?

Also OP did not provide his own stats, nor any idea of what he thinks villain thought of him. So the dynamics are lacking.

Bottom line here IMHO, is this is a poker hand, not a card hand, and there is some play in play....if you know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im a donk. but i have nothing to say to this ^^^^

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, my bad on a terminology faupau.

However since the original raiser was the button, with all the baggage that entails, A first in vigorish bet (fivbet or vbet ?) would have the same effect as if these positions were not the button blind situation, but say UTG and the cutoff or button.

Bottom line here is that first to act has to find out if villain has that ace, or higher pp. 2 ways, raise to both rep you have the ace(s) or something worth playing with, or you can checkk giving villain a perfect 'free pass' which offers you no info at all. You know he will not pass up that opportunity, and you might as well have force folded on the flop.

If however, you bet first, and significantly, you run the risk of what? losing that bet? true, or taking down the hand, heads up this is a 50-50 situation (whether or not he believes you). But without info you are reducing your chances to a whim.

While everyone reads about the odds involved, there are times in poker where daring will out. Since PF it was only a minraise, a min 3bet would have been OK. He may have felt it was obligatory to raise the unopened button.

I don't like the passive approach here. Else fold 99 preflop....always........ Not gonna happen right?

Also OP did not provide his own stats, nor any idea of what he thinks villain thought of him. So the dynamics are lacking.

Bottom line here IMHO, is this is a poker hand, not a card hand, and there is some play in play....if you know what I mean. ;)

If you seen how fast the hand went you would know none of us were thinking into the hand this much lol

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discredit djs post. Makes no sense

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discredit djs post. Makes no sense
If DJ (or pretty much anyone with less than 10 posts) writes more than 1 sentence without an equity calculation in it, I don't bother to read it.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If DJ (or pretty much anyone with less than 10 posts) writes more than 1 sentence without an equity calculation in it, I don't bother to read it.

No respect I tell ya!...No respect......:cool:

Folding in Poker