$10 NLHE 6-max: Combo draw facing big turn raise

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10NL 6-max zoom on pokerstars. Villain is unknown.

BTN: $13.25
Hero (SB): $44.65
BB: $15.62
UTG: $12.16
MP: $8.07
CO: $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with A:heart: 9:heart:
3 folds, BTN calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.10) 4:spade: T:heart: 7:heart: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.80, BTN calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.70) J:diamond: (2 players)
Hero bets $2, BTN raises to $8.60, Hero calls $6.60

River: ($19.90) K:diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $3.35 all in, Hero folds

What do you think about the way hero played this hand?

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you call the turn?

My timebank was running out and I didn't have time to properly calculate if I had the correct implied odds or not. It looked pretty close. Was I far off?

EDIT: doing the maths now, I was calling $6.60 more to win a total of $23.25 (assuming villain stacks off when I hit my straight or flush). That means I needed at least 28% equity to justify calling the turn raise. Does my combo draw (nut flush draw + gutshot) have 28% equity against the villain's range?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you think your A-outs are going to be good (hint: they're not), then you don't have the correct odds to call this turn, even if you stack him 100% of the time on the river if you hit.

Dude, stop chasing draws on the turn!

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you think your A-outs are going to be good (hint: they're not), then you don't have the correct odds to call this turn, even if you stack him 100% of the time on the river if you hit.

Dude, stop chasing draws on the turn!

You've got to admit that it is pretty close. If I have 12 outs (9 outs to a FD + 3 extra outs to a gutshot) with 46 remaining cards in the deck, then that's 26% equity right there. And if I thought that there's a small possibility that the villain just has QQ/KK that decided to be all tricky by open-limping the BTN and then raising the turn, then that boosts up my equity. Although I guess I potentially have to subtract 2 outs (4h and Jh) in case the villain hits a boat/quads when I hit my flush.

But it's still tough to do all these calculations whilst playing 3 zoom tables at once with only a 30 second time bank. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't massively off the mark. If I'm within 2% equity of what is required, then I consider that a breakeven call.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm within 2% equity of what is required, then I consider that a breakeven call.
Except that here, you're only within 2% (and it's 2.3% to be correct), IF you're guaranteed to stack him if you hit. I admit it's likely with what little he has left behind, but still.

Also, 2% or not, -EV is -EV.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But it's still tough to do all these calculations whilst playing 3 zoom tables at once with only a 30 second time bank. I
You've obviously been doing well at this, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. If you have to stop to calculate your odds, then three Zoom tables at once is two too many. Also, A9s would seem to be a terrible opening hand from the SB at any Zoom table, especially one where you've got two others drawing on your attention.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, A9s would seem to be a terrible opening hand from the SB at any Zoom table, especially one where you've got two others drawing on your attention.
Wut?

A9s is perfect for this. You're getting two folds and take it down directly most of the time with ATC, but at least now you have some solid equity if called. And if raised, you can still easily let it go...

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Except that here, you're only within 2% (and it's 2.3% to be correct), IF you're guaranteed to stack him if you hit. I admit it's likely with what little he has left behind, but still.

Also, 2% or not, -EV is -EV.

This, don't forget to account for rake too!

This raise is just way toooo big. When you make big post flop calling mistakes it erases all the good work you put in learning to play preflop well. I bet if you clean up some calls you will probably crush and move up.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does my combo draw (nut flush draw + gutshot) have 28% equity against the villain's range?

Combo draw gives you 25% equity. Ace high gives you another 6%
Although villain probably has 2 pair so pairing an ace might not be good here.

To calculate equity of drawing hands, count your outs (9 hearts and 3 eights... We only count 3 eights because one if them was already counted in the hearts) multiply by 2 (24) and add 1... Gives us 25%

Last edited:
M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding turn, as our heart outs may not be clean. Offers us RIO, and it'll be pretty difficult folding the A high flush if the board pairs. Also, check-call turn. The turn improves his range, and it is unlikely he is folding anything. The turn completes straights, two pairs, and he is still calling with any T/pair + SD. If you have no fold equity when you are trying to "semi-bluff," it's best to reconsider. You have a lot of equity against his range already. Double barreling doesn't really accomplish anything here.

N

nkat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn is a fold.. vs 89/sets you're not looking good. Opp. could also have JXhh. The only way calling is good is if they can have T9/T8/J9/J8 hands in their range. Vs unknown i'd assume not.

I like turn bet though

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's pot committed so call 6.60 to win an effective 16.55 with a flush draw and 1 card to come I'm folding . 2.5 to 1 isn't enough here. Clear fold for me
Limps / call pre from the button looks suspicious and difficult to range him.