$10 NLHE 6-max: BB vs SB, bottom straight, paired board, good fold?

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont use a hud at the moment so i have to write it down from my memories:

played on snap, i was the BB
a reg on the SB opens (i think 3bb), i flat with T9o

flop is JJQ, 2 suits (don't remember if i had a flush blocker)
he continues with a normal bet like 2/3 if i remember right. i raise like 3.5x and he calls.

turn is (JJQ) K, flush not completed.
he checks and i continue with about 20bb into 40bb, he raises all-in about 70bb into the 60bb pot, i fold.

my plan from the start was to make him fold, representing trips on the flop and as my draw hits i bet to get called but i really didn't wanna get raised and planed to lay it down then.
so i just sticked to the plan as all the full houses actually where in his range.
he could have KJ, KK if not even QJ as he would play these hands like that i guess. KJ maybe with the flush-blocker. so the only hands that i beat are AJ, JT (maybe J9?) and bluffs. and i think AJ would be a reraise like 99% of the time on the flop and i block JT and J9. he could even have ATs with the flushdraw if i didn't block it (i don't remember unfortunately).

so what do you think? will villain ever have enough bluffs in his range to make that call? i mean i had really good odds to call, so it was very hard for me to let it go..
my thought is, he might try to bluff me off the trips i'm representing and just jam his draw here??

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think against a reg, you would have to call this one as this is very much top of your range and you could still beat Villain value combos like AJ,J8 to JT. I agree villain could 3bet some flop with AJ but he could also flat those combos some time. Also villain could have weak flush draw like 65s, T8s that may that this line along with A high flush draw.

I would only overfold this hand if villain never check raise turn without almost nuts.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just calling flop vs a bigger cbet & raise GII turn. Although I don't actually mind raising with a Flush draw around.
As played, betting turn larger & snap calling a jam.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i forgot to mention!

there was also a timing tell. he snap jamed the turn. that seemed very nutty to me. as if he just waited to finally get paid for his full house, i don't know just a feeling..
the reason i raised the flop was because i don't wanna chase a straight when i might already be drawing dead on the flop or the turn so i thought it's better to win the pot right now instead of going for implied odds.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the reason i raised the flop was because i don't wanna chase a straight when i might already be drawing dead on the flop or the turn so i thought it's better to win the pot right now instead of going for implied odds.

This is very contradictory because he's never folding a set no matter you raise it or not.
If you fold your best hands like this, people will notice you are overfolding and start bullying you
Also it's a BvB spot & ranges are wide. If V was at UTG or MP, then we have limit his range a bit more.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like calling villain could 3bet some flop with AJ but he could also flat those combos some time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont want to stack off a straight, because he can have to many full houses, then you need to either just call him on the flop or check back for pot control on the turn. Making a hand as strong as this and still not getting to showdown is pretty bad.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there was also a timing tell. he snap jamed the turn. that seemed very nutty to me. as if he just waited to finally get paid for his full house, i don't know just a feeling..

full houses need no protection and more likely he would call your turn bet and wait for a 3rd barrel

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
full houses need no protection and more likely he would call your turn bet and wait for a 3rd barrel

Not so sure about that. He was out of position, so if he check-call the turn and check the river, he allow Hero to check back. Donk betting the river is kind of weird, so it does make sense for him to get it in on the turn with his strongest hands. Its different, if he was in position. Then there is pretty much no way, I would ever raise a full house on the turn.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very contradictory because he's never folding a set no matter you raise it or not.
If you fold your best hands like this, people will notice you are overfolding and start bullying you
Also it's a BvB spot & ranges are wide. If V was at UTG or MP, then we have limit his range a bit more.
of course i don't try him to bluff him of a set or trips... but he should fold his weak draws right? that's why i don't see him jam many draws on the turn as he shouldn't have many in his range.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you dont want to stack off a straight, because he can have to many full houses, then you need to either just call him on the flop or check back for pot control on the turn. Making a hand as strong as this and still not getting to showdown is pretty bad.
as i think about it i guess that would be better! at least if i check-back turn i can get away on many bad rivers like an A or flush card, if he bombs the pot. the reason i didn't do it was because if the river bricks he will bomb the pot and i'm pretty much in the same situation that i wanted to avoid.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not so sure about that. He was out of position, so if he check-call the turn and check the river, he allow Hero to check back. Donk betting the river is kind of weird, so it does make sense for him to get it in on the turn with his strongest hands. Its different, if he was in position. Then there is pretty much no way, I would ever raise a full house on the turn.
totally agree, raising a full house in this spot is standard i think.

Folding in Poker