$10 NLHE 6-max: AK in 3bet-pot, was my play correct?

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888 Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 110.9 BB
BB: 105.7 BB (VPIP: 90.59, PFR: 34.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 89)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 28.08, PFR: 21.72, 3Bet Preflop: 10.58, Hands: 2,793)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 10.5 BB, BB calls 9.5 BB, UTG calls 7.5 BB

Flop: (31.5 BB, 3 players) 5 6 K
Hero bets 10.5 BB, fold, UTG calls 10.5 BB

Turn: (52.5 BB, 2 players) 7
Hero checks, UTG bets 21 BB, Hero raises to 89.9 BB and is all-in

so this is a real nightmare spot for me. huge pot, oop, 1 huge whale who might call with any kinda draw/backdoor draw and behind him a reg who wanna setmine both of us....
at least the whale folded...

what do you think about my flop bet size, is it too small? actually i just wanted to get away from that hand and wished i just missed lol
i saw no reason to continue on the turn as i would only get called by sets i think, so check-raising was like the only option but fold, do you agree?
and is folding an option?? heads-up i wouldnt think long about it but as we got 3-way to the flop, my equity drops, thats what im thinking.. or is spr just too low to fold?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, this is a nightmare spot, and if you think about it like that, its probably because of tainted memory. First off all UTG can not profitably setmine with a baby pair here, so if he in fact did, then he made a mistake preflop. Not a big one but a mistake none the less. And he will miss his set 7 out of 8 times, so on the flop he is way more likely to have 77-QQ than a set.

Which is also why your flop size is totally fine. You want to get a call out of all those pocket pairs, and if you bet to large, they just fold. A larger size would have been better against the fish, but it did not really matter, since he folded anyway, and if fish had called and reg folded, you could have put the hammer down on the turn.

Checking turn is also fine, and when he bet, I am not loving it, but no you can not fold. You could just check-call though and see, what happen on the river. I am not sure, I love the check-jam all that much, because I think, he mostly fold all the hands, you are beating.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's 3way. UTG(if 6max) should be defending his entire opening range there

You are welcome to feel like that, but then we just need to agree to disagree :)

Anyway the more important point is, that if he can have 55-66, then he can obviously also have 77-QQ, and there are way more combos of those hands.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

BB: 105.7 BB (VPIP: 90.59, PFR: 34.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 89)

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 10.5 BB, BB calls 9.5 BB, UTG calls 7.5 BB

so this is a real nightmare spot for me. huge pot, oop, 1 huge whale who might call with any kinda draw/backdoor draw and behind him a reg who wanna setmine both of us....

what do you think about my flop bet size, is it too small? actually i just wanted to get away from that hand and wished i just missed lol
i saw no reason to continue on the turn as i would only get called by sets i think, so check-raising was like the only option but fold, do you agree?
and is folding an option?? heads-up i wouldnt think long about it but as we got 3-way to the flop, my equity drops, thats what im thinking.. or is spr just too low to fold?

The check on the turn is horrible in my opinion. Why would you want to potentially give a free card here? As played, against an overly aggressive opponent (his three bet % strongly suggests this), I would think you are good on the turn the vast majority of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The check on the turn is horrible in my opinion. Why would you want to potentially give a free card here? As played, against an overly aggressive opponent (his three bet % strongly suggests this), I would think you are good on the turn the vast majority of the time.

If he is overly aggressive, then we should by all means check some strong hands to him, that can either check-call or check-raise. Being aggressive mean, he has a lot of air in his range, especially when we only bet small on the flop (floating). When checked to on the turn he is going to bet all that air or even value own himself with second best hands like KQ etc.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because UTG's calling range is going to be wider than normal, you should just either bet turn or c/c turn. There's no strong reason to c/jam the turn.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the replies!

i thought about c/c but the turn got so drawy and his bet was just so small thats why i decided to raise.
villain does in fact float a lot!
hes not the best player so i think his range is very wide especially with that whale in the pot.
in fact he had 98s with FD on turn (thats why he bet so small)
i looked at the replay and saw that he had 22% equity on flop so he really had the odds to call 4/1
hope i didnt reveal too early, thanks guys!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The whale folded- damn it.

BB: 105.7 BB (VPIP: 90.59, PFR: 34.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 89)

Thank you for posting.

Your favorite saying should become "at least the whale called".

The whale is where the profit is. The reg with position is where we want a fold.

Preflop bet sizing could be Whale centric here. If the Whale calls any size bet and the reg folds to over bets why not 20bb pre or 30bb or more? No odds for set mining from reg. If the Whale makes big calls, this might be the play to make.

The turn check raise gets all bluffs and weak semi bluffs to fold any weak king to fold etc.
Do we want that?
This is a reg do you have stats on turn stabs? River bluffs? etc.

Would villain bluff missed draws on river?
Do we not want them to do that?
Will villain not bluff river but call blocking bet on safe river?
Would we not want that?

Hope this helps

:):)

Does the villain think you would bluff shove turn often?

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On flop bet 50% if he calls 10BB he will call 15BB. Bet turn and check call river to reasonable bet up to 50%.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is played fine. Flop bet is good/standard. Turn check is fine as well. I might lean towards check calling turn but shoving isn’t horrible. You can bet the turn but I would hate to get raised and then think about folding.