$10 NLHE 6-max: 4-betting range BTN vs over 3betting BB

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sup my dudes (and dudettes),

My hand is below, but I'm wondering more generally what we should be 4-betting for value/flat calling a 3bet with. Against a villain with 15% 3bet + I think JJ+, AQ+ maybe some A5s bluffs if the guy folds to 4 bets, and we'd call 77-TT and good suited broadways.

I'm new to 10nl so at first I was going off his 3bet stats from <100 hands (I know, scold me) so my read was wrong anyway, his real 3bet% is around 6%.

My assumption is that 6-9% is a good amount for 3betting and against that range we should only continue with 88+, AJs+ KJs+, 4bet QQ+ AK maybe KQs from time to time. Too nitty? How can I tell if I'm over folding/playing weakly?

As for the hand below, perhaps you can talk about bet sizing, continuing on highcard turns etc. (I feel like we could turn our hand into some bluffs on the turn if we had some blockers of his Kings, AQ would be a good candidate).

Some people go 1/2 pot or larger in these 3bet/4bet pots, 1/3 lets V continue with everything.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 255.8 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 100 BB
Hero (CO): 194.9 BB
BTN: 279.2 BB
SB: 167.7 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 9

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, SB raises to 11 BB, fold, Hero raises to 30.1 BB, fold, SB calls 19.1 BB

Flop: (63.7 BB, 2 players) 5 7 8
SB checks, Hero bets 20.4 BB, SB calls 20.4 BB

Turn: (104.5 BB, 2 players) K
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (104.5 BB, 2 players) Q
SB bets 52.2 BB, fold

SB wins 99.3 BB

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a hand with JJ that could be a 4 bet. Villain is 33/24 with a 23% over 80 hands. I think calling here is better- we have position and don't know this guy too well.

SB: 102.2 BB
BB: 101.5 BB
UTG: 101.5 BB
Hero (MP): 265 BB
CO: 248.2 BB
BTN: 203.8 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:heart: J:club:

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 11 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

Flop: (22.5 BB, 2 players) T:club: K:club: 7:diamond:
BB bets 16.8 BB, fold

BB wins 21.4 BB

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wohh a 15% is a big 3bet rangue,i would not chance my value 4bet,but i will put for shure some more bluff combos like A5s-A2s ATo or KJo is your choise but sertainlly u need to exploid that leak.
Well all i wrote before thouse not count a 3bet off 6-9 is a standart 3bet frequensie.
Well u had an eassy call to setmine,but 4beting 99 is not so good idea.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few thoughts from me.

Hand 1
I’m never 4betting with 99. I think it’s fine to have a fairly wide 3 bet range and call vs 3bet range, but 4 bet for me is JJ+,AQs+, maybe KQs if they're a fish bet wide and some A5s bluffs. I’m typically calling my 4 bet range at a decent frequency to try and extract more value post flop (maybe I’m too tight but this means you’re willing to 4 bet a lot of hands if needed)

You call with 99 and set mine.

On this flop you’ve got to cbet higher value as there’s a lot of draws so I’d be going 50-75% pot to push people out or make them pay you to draw. You’ve got the added comfort of the gutshot draw.

You showed weakness with your bet sizing on the flop and check on the turn. You need to have the double barrel bet on the turn at 10NL, what are the odds he hit that king? Pretty low and he’s folding 90% of hands that aren’t the king.

The post flop play allows him two cards for less than the pre-flop bet which makes you seem weak so he can bluff you, leads to scare cards coming and possibly allowed him to hit one.

The next challenge for you will be knowing when to give up once you start firing on multiple streets with exposed hands.

My top tips for 10NL are bet low for value on good flops, bet aggressively for hands that need protection and be looking to bet multiple streets.

Where you aren’t the aggressor be willing to call down against standard flop and turn cbets with weaker hands like mid pairs etc unless their bet value is very high. There’s a lot of weak players just getting to grips with cbetting and so cbet with nothing too often.

Only get your chips in with absolute top hands (trips on uncoordinated boards or the nuts elsewhere) and be very willing to fold to check raises or reraises which most at 10NL don’t have in their locker other than with the nuts.

Hand 2
Fine as played. I’d typically be calling the bet on the flop and seeing how they react on the turn but given the bet size I’m fine with the fold.

JJ is one of my primary raising and 4 betting hands as I find it’s a post flop nightmare usually so I’d rather get villain to fold if I can.

Villain only hits the flop maybe 30% of the time so is likely betting draws, even if the K is a decent part of his range. However the size of the bet makes it look like an AK that is scared of the straight and flush draws so fine to fold.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sup my dudes (and dudettes),

My hand is below, but I'm wondering more generally what we should be 4-betting for value/flat calling a 3bet with. Against a villain with 15% 3bet + I think JJ+, AQ+ maybe some A5s bluffs if the guy folds to 4 bets, and we'd call 77-TT and good suited broadways.

I'm new to 10nl so at first I was going off his 3bet stats from <100 hands (I know, scold me) so my read was wrong anyway, his real 3bet% is around 6%.

My assumption is that 6-9% is a good amount for 3betting and against that range we should only continue with 88+, AJs+ KJs+, 4bet QQ+ AK maybe KQs from time to time. Too nitty? How can I tell if I'm over folding/playing weakly?

As for the hand below, perhaps you can talk about bet sizing, continuing on highcard turns etc. (I feel like we could turn our hand into some bluffs on the turn if we had some blockers of his Kings, AQ would be a good candidate).

Some people go 1/2 pot or larger in these 3bet/4bet pots, 1/3 lets V continue with everything.

BB: 255.8 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 100 BB
Hero (CO): 194.9 BB
BTN: 279.2 BB
SB: 167.7 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 9

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, SB raises to 11 BB, fold, Hero raises to 30.1 BB, fold, SB calls 19.1 BB

Flop: (63.7 BB, 2 players) 5 7 8
SB checks, Hero bets 20.4 BB, SB calls 20.4 BB

Turn: (104.5 BB, 2 players) K
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (104.5 BB, 2 players) Q
SB bets 52.2 BB, fold

SB wins 99.3 BB

First of all, the sizing used for both players.
SB polarizes its 3-bet range going for 4.4x preflop. Well, for expecience, I know that weak regulars love Nathan Williams ideas and use to polarize their opening ranges ONLY FOR VALUE.
So, when a guy like this 3-bets to 4.4x, I see no reason at all to be 4-betting from the CO with absolutely anything.
Well, if that was not enough, Hero elects to make a 3.1x 4-bet! OMG, what exploitative game is this? Now, even if SB is holding AA, KK, or AK, SB will call more because you gave clear signs that your plan is to go all-in, after you polarized too much versus a polarized 3-bet range already.
What is your plan, how are you going to play postflop if you start to 4-bet marginal hands like 99? Your 4-bet range is way too large and specially considering the situation itself, where SB polarizes 3-bet preflop.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars