$10 NLHE 6-max: 3-bet called, check-raised on turn

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the hand I literally could not make a decision... I timed out and auto-folded! For some reason I thought this dude was messing with me. Haven't been playing too long, but I've seen him multi-tabling.

Should I even bet out on the turn?
Seems pointless... and it seems like a bad idea if I can get check-raise bluffed off TPTK

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
HJ ($11.14) [VPIP: 17.5% | PFR: 8.7% | AGG: 19.4% | 3-Bet: 2% | hands: 103]
CO ($10) [VPIP: 28.3% | PFR: 22.6% | AGG: 66.7% | 3-Bet: 11.8% | Hands: 56]
HERO ($10.66) [VPIP: 31.6% | PFR: 26.1% | AGG: 41.3% | 3-Bet: 4% | Hands: 317]
SB ($13.32) [VPIP: 42.4% | PFR: 13.6% | AGG: 19.1% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 67]
BB ($2.02) [VPIP: 63.3% | PFR: 26.7% | AGG: 21.2% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 31]

Dealt to Hero: K A

HJ Folds, CO Raises To $0.30, HERO Raises To $0.90, SB Folds, BB Folds, CO Calls $0.60

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.67 effective]
Flop ($1.95): 6 J 8
CO Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($1.95): 6 J 8 K
CO Checks, HERO Bets $0.87 (Rem. Stack: 8.89), CO Raises To $3.50 (Rem. Stack: 5.6), HERO Folds

CO wins: $3.49

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why check flop?

In the hand I literally could not make a decision... I timed out and auto-folded! For some reason I thought this dude was messing with me. Haven't been playing too long, but I've seen him multi-tabling.

Seems pointless... and it seems like a bad idea if I can get check-raise bluffed off TPTK

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
HJ ($11.14) [VPIP: 17.5% | PFR: 8.7% | AGG: 19.4% | 3-Bet: 2% | Hands: 103]

HJ Folds, CO Raises To $0.30, HERO Raises To $0.90, SB Folds, BB Folds, CO Calls $0.60

CO Checks, HERO Checks

CO Checks, HERO Bets $0.87 (Rem. Stack: 8.89), CO Raises To $3.50 (Rem. Stack: 5.6), HERO Folds

Thank U 4 Posting.

I did not look at spoiler, will do after I post this.

Let's use Socratic method.

Why this preflop raise size vs this loose agg?

Would you consider sizing up vs a player who is less likely to hold premium hands or fold?

Why the check on the flop vs loose agg?

If you bet flop would you be more likely to see the river?

Why VALUE bet the turn vs loose agg?

Did you cap your range? Could this player know that?

When should you get to cheap show downs even with premium hands? (hint hint)

Is it ok to lose to a bluff?

What data would you need to know to make a hero call in this spot?

If we call turn vs this villain will this villain check river or shove?

What is the best action to take when we are lost in a hand?

Hope this helps

:):)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
HJ ($11.14) [VPIP: 17.5% | PFR: 8.7% | AGG: 19.4% | 3-Bet: 2% | Hands: 103]

CO Checks, HERO Checks

Not a spoiler when you type HERO Folds. Leave that out next time.

:D:D

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! A difficult decision, on the one hand in its range there are a lot of sets or flushes. A call with one pair, this action is not for the pot odds. On the other hand, this is a loose-aggressive opponent who can use bluffing.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a spoiler when you type HERO Folds. Leave that out next time.

:D:D

Haha, yea should've taken that out. Not much of a spoiler I know!

Thanks for the feedback, very useful. You don't agree with the 3-bet?

I didn't bet flop because I wanted to control the pot size a bit. Maybe this contradicts what I wanted when I 3-bet.

I think that I shouldn't be betting out that turn though. I like you're idea of seeing a showdown for cheap.

Haha, and if you want to answer any of the questions you posed please go ahead! I'm having trouble finding good answers for many of them.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your 3 bet was 3X it is recommended by good players you go 4x.

AA KK 3x is fine but AKs is still a drawing hand that would like some folds on the flop. If the villain plays fit or fold which they should if they are calling bigger raises preflop with weak holdings.

If we decide to pot control on the flop the Ks is not our go to card. A non flush King is a bet. If we do bet the Ks and get action we should assume our villain expects we could have AK so why are they raising? Which makes the turn a bet fold. Which is a fine play because you would be charging the draws and folding to the made better hands. The turn bet does not need to be large. 40% pot should do the job.

So our thinking is what matters on that turn. We should be betting for value/protection which means when raised we must consider folding our #1 action. We then have to have strong data available that convinces us to call. You did not have that data so you must fold. If you were bluffed that is fine.

Just for clarification. Your preflop 3 bet /check flop /bet K turn screams I have AK. Most players will think exactly that. So why check raise? Especially if folding is not common.

Hope this helps
:):)

J

Johnkanon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After 3betting preflop and checked to you, i would definitely cbet flop. If your cbet gets called en checked to on the turn, you can check back for pot control.

As played, i think a fold on the turn is good. A turn check-raise at the micro stakes means usually they have the goods.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, that checking back the turn is a better play, especially against an aggressive regular, who is fully capable of check-raising you in a spot like this, weather he has it or not. If you check back the turn, you can comfortably call a bet on a blank river, or you can go for value if checked to again.

You can even call, if he pull the check-raise on the river, because he dont have the option to fire the rest of his stack on the next street. This threat of further big bets later is, what give so much leverage to a check-raise on the flop or turn in 100 BB poker.

As played you have to bet-fold. He is almost certainly going to put you to the test on the river, and if he has it, you are drawing dead. You can not call off your entire stack here just hoping to catch him bluffing. With the distribution of flush cards on the table there are quite a few flushes, he can have, and you also lose to sets or KJ.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm cbetting this flop. You still have all the overpairs in your range after a 3bet. As played, I think I'm still betting turn...and probably not believing this guy's check raise. Very often, micro stakes check-raises mean they have it. But is this guy really going to check twice with a monster hand like a set or flush? More likely, this guy has a draw that he was planning to check-raise with. That play to me doesn't look like the type of play a guy would make trying to get value...looks like the play someone makes trying to put pressure and get a fold.

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
3x raise size on 3-bet is perfect with AK when you're 3 betting with a merged range. (4x+ is better OOP).

This is a c-bet in position on the flop which might prevent your opponent from bluffing when the king hits on the turn. You want draws to pay as AK is actually pretty often value bet here. You also have two overcard outs and are in position.

On the turn with TPTK bet-folding (less often, and only to a quite large bet), check-calling, and check-raising-folding are all fine options, though I favor staying in the hand with holdings that strong, and I like putting my opponents in tough spots rather than the other way around. Check-raising on the turn puts the pressure on your opponent and polarizes your hand. If he calls the turn check-raise it's very unlikely he has air/bluffs. If he re-raises you can just get away there with minimal losses.

Last edited: