$10 NLHE 6-max: 2nd best pair, did I play poorly on turn and river?

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB: 12.67
BB: $19.02
UTG: 12.36
MP: 14.98
Hero(BTN): $10.85

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :Ah: :Qd:
UTG folds, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.62) :Kd: :Jc: :Qd: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.32, BB calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.22) :5c4: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.64, BB calls $0.64

River: ($2.43) :Ac: (2 players)
BB bets $1.82, Hero calls $1.82

Villain Shows :Td: :8s4:

I was very reluctant to call the river because I knew a T was in his range but I called anyways. I think it was probably a mistake. I'm also not sure of my turn bet. I figured he had a very wide defending range in the BB so I was probably ahead.
Thank you.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once a draw completes and villain donks this big, you have to be folding almost always.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually think, both the flop and turn bets are up for debate. They are not terrible, but we have a very marginal made hand + a gutshot draw, and marginal made hands tend to play better as a check. It gives us hands, we can use as bluff catchers, or we can go for delayed C-bet type of lines.

Anyways as played the river is a clear fold. When people call you on the flop and turn on a wet board, often times a big part of their range is draws. So when the most obvious draw come in, and Villain then donk lead the river, we can usually just snap fold hands, that dont beat that draw.

In that sense, and if the Villain tend to chase after to many draws, I can be ok with betting flop and betting turn with a marginal made hand. As long as we fold to his river donk, then he can enjoy chasing his draws out of position with incorrect odds and getting no payment on the end. And of course if the check the river, just check back and take a showdown. You might be good here against some worse two pair.

There is some confusion about the suits by the way with the Qd both being in your hand and on the flop, which I assume was not the case :)

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you played badly. Your line is quite appropriate and logical. It is quite another thing, if the opponent behaved differently. If he reraised, one would assume that he had already closed his straight.

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually think, both the flop and turn bets are up for debate. They are not terrible, but we have a very marginal made hand + a gutshot draw, and marginal made hands tend to play better as a check. It gives us hands, we can use as bluff catchers, or we can go for delayed C-bet type of lines.

Anyways as played the river is a clear fold. When people call you on the flop and turn on a wet board, often times a big part of their range is draws. So when the most obvious draw come in, and Villain then donk lead the river, we can usually just snap fold hands, that dont beat that draw.

In that sense, and if the Villain tend to chase after to many draws, I can be ok with betting flop and betting turn with a marginal made hand. As long as we fold to his river donk, then he can enjoy chasing his draws out of position with incorrect odds and getting no payment on the end. And of course if the check the river, just check back and take a showdown. You might be good here against some worse two pair.

There is some confusion about the suits by the way with the Qd both being in your hand and on the flop, which I assume was not the case :)

This is very helpful - I pay off WAYYY too many donks on the river :mad: