$10 NLHE 6-max: $10 NLHE 6-max: AQs vs 57o. Was my Raise on turn correct decision?

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 NLHE 6-max: $10 NLHE 6-max: AQs vs 57o. Was my Raise on turn correct decision?

I mean did I raise too big on turn?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, ₹10.00 BB (5 handed) - Converted at http://handhistoryconverter.com/

SB (₹1,983.43)
Hero (BB) (₹1,362.10)
UTG (₹1,019.83)
MP (₹2,362.02)
Button (₹1,049.46)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A
3 folds, SB raises to ₹20, Hero raises to ₹60, SB calls ₹40

Flop: (₹120) 8, 9, 3♠ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets ₹113.82, SB calls ₹113.82

Turn: (₹347.64) Q (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets ₹329.74, SB calls ₹329.74

River: (₹1,007.12) 6 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: ₹1,007.12

Results:
SB had 5, 7 (straight, nine high).
Hero didn't show Q, A (nothing).
Outcome: SB won ₹955.25

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why do you cbet so big?

I guess 1/3 would be ok. Then turn 2/3 and river I would definitely bet again. Still after this line you get a lof of value from 9x and Qx like QT, QJ, sometimes KQ which could call after our bet 1/3.

As played with that big sizes on flop and turn - check river I guess is ok. He mostly looks on sets. But still he could have QJ and QT and maybe ship river wouldn't be bad. Check is just save option.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"why do you cbet so big?" If we look what range villain called 2 barrels, we can guess that in hero’s eyes villain is super fish, and thus he decided to use larger sizes. I do agree though that on CB size is too large against even huge fish, if he folds he folds mostly regardless of the size, but never to 1/3 of a bet, so imo we need to bet around 2/3.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"why do you cbet so big?" If we look what range villain called 2 barrels, we can guess that in hero’s eyes villain is super fish

well. I don't judge a hand seeing the result so imo we have no info. Anyway vs a reg cbet 1/3. Vs a fish 50-60% pot is enough. No reason to bet larger. Then if he is a fish we always have to bet turn and river.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet is, as pointed out, rather large.

The turn bet is just plain to big in general imo. We have a lot of showdown value versus most SB. ranges with TPTK on a board that is fairly static. Versus this villain, though, It is a fine play. If he is going to call of pot sized with a weak gutter draw, then by all means do it.

River, I check back as well. I really like this play! A lot of his str8 draws have came in, he could already have had a weak 2 pair and played it weakly.

Betting the river would be a mistake, imo. When we bet, really not much worse can call, maybe A9 if he thought you didn't have a queen. A lot of stuff can c-raise, which was what was going to happen, such as 75, 99, 88, 33, T7. All of the things we beat like single pairs will probably fold to a third bet.

Our queen has showdown value, so why take a hand that has s-value and put it in a spot where it would have to fold to a check raise?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with cbet being to big i think you can get away with 1/3p maybe 1/2p if you want to go larger being a 3bet pot.I also think it's a flop you can check back as'well although cbetting is fine with overs and backdoor draws.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like the line you followed here but ok everybody is right, no need for so big barrels on flop/turn. 1/3 pot on the flop and 1/2 on the turn would be fine as well, plus you will save a lot of chips for yourself. By betting flop you represent connectivity with the flop so the second barrel is a nice move for me.

I like the check back on the river most of the times if you bet the river you will always get called by better hands!

ps. You can give this opponent the calling station label is such a -EV play chasing his gutter after the flop!

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: AQs is 3bet vs the SB open is good.

Flop: On this, a little dry board with no flush draw, bet smaller like 1/3 of the pot. Even if you have AA but if you get raised after your c-bet you really don't know what to do. Even Checkin is fine here because this flop is more favored to the SB's range.

Turn: I feel like this is a sticky opponent. You can start to bet heavier to charge his drawing. But if the SB has TJ (which is highly possible since he calls your heavy C-bet on the flop).

River: good check since he will fold all the worse hands and call you with better hands. He may call with some A9, K9 but not too often facing your bet size.

Overall your bet size is questionable. You represent you have very strong hands. Do you have a balanced range? Your heavy bet make you commit to the pot, what if you get raise on the flop or turn?

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you cbet so big?

I guess 1/3 would be ok. Then turn 2/3 and river I would definitely bet again. Still after this line you get a lof of value from 9x and Qx like QT, QJ, sometimes KQ which could call after our bet 1/3.

As played with that big sizes on flop and turn - check river I guess is ok. He mostly looks on sets. But still he could have QJ and QT and maybe ship river wouldn't be bad. Check is just save option.

Agree with your play. River I would go a smaller bet maybe half pot bet makes the opponent call more with his middle pair. This opponent is a nitty fish facing heavy bet still keep drawing and mis-bet the river.

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: AQs is 3bet vs the SB open is good.

Flop: On this, a little dry board with no flush draw, bet smaller like 1/3 of the pot. Even if you have AA but if you get raised after your c-bet you really don't know what to do. Even Checkin is fine here because this flop is more favored to the SB's range.

Turn: I feel like this is a sticky opponent. You can start to bet heavier to charge his drawing. But if the SB has TJ (which is highly possible since he calls your heavy C-bet on the flop).

River: good check since he will fold all the worse hands and call you with better hands. He may call with some A9, K9 but not too often facing your bet size.

Overall your bet size is questionable. You represent you have very strong hands. Do you have a balanced range? Your heavy bet make you commit to the pot, what if you get raise on the flop or turn?

Normally I C-bet 40% max and if someone calls My C-bet my river raise depends on pot size and board. BUT this donkey plays any card goes till the end. Doesn't have fold button. only folds on river. will chase gut shot draws flush draw and even call with lowest pair on board till river hoping to make trips or two pair. thats how he plays. so i wanted give him worst odd. and loot him as much i could. Thanks for pointing out my cbet range and turn bet.

Now I see, I should have bet less on flop and turn and if there was no straight possible bet on river as well.
His 1BB raise preflop indicated he his playing for straight or flush.

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you cbet so big?

Okay will keep it in mind. Thank you.

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ps. You can give this opponent the calling station label is such a -EV play chasing his gutter after the flop!

Yes I have labelled him.And also made note on him

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River, I check back as well. I really like this play! A lot of his str8 draws have came in, he could already have had a weak 2 pair and played it weakly.

Betting the river would be a mistake, imo. When we bet, really not much worse can call, maybe A9 if he thought you didn't have a queen. A lot of stuff can c-raise, which was what was going to happen, such as 75, 99, 88, 33, T7. All of the things we beat like single pairs will probably fold to a third bet.
Yes, I felt like okay he made two pair, or straight. Rather than he shoving all his chips if I bet, lets see his cards. lol
And yes, henceforth even against fishes I am not going to c bet or bet on turn this big. Will keep constant range

P

panost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not raise, it is only a bet. I don't like 1/3 otf, i think it is better to bet 1/2 and ofc 2/3 or 3/4 ott depends of the opponent.