Zen and Poker (1 of 3)

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few things I read in my casual look at Zen Buddhism that I have used in my learning process: with stories to illustrate.

Keep it Simple!
An Englishman went to Nepal to climb a high mountain. He hired a crew and the leader of the crew said they had to get the blessing of the village guru. So he stopped to see the guru who asked why he had so many people with him. The guru shrugged when the Englishman told him they were needed to carry the equipment. The guru gave his blessing and 3 days later they approached the summit. The Englishman made the crew stop so he could be the first to the summit.

When he got there he saw the guru sitting and eating a piece of fruit. Dumbfounded the Englishman asked how the guru got there. The guru looked confused for a moment then replied, "I walked."

DON'T MAKE IT TOO COMPLICATED !

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zen and Poker (2 of 3)

Levels of Awareness.

In ancient Japan a warlord had defeated another by storming and taking over his castle. Then, realizing that that castle was weak on defense he hired a samurai to consult on how to set up those defenses.

As they were walking along the perimeter there was a noise behind them and the warlord drew his sword in the blink of an eye. Only to see a pine cone has fallen out of a tree. The samurai had done nothing. Later over tea, while discussing the defenses, the warlord asked the samurai why he had not drawn his sword. The samurai replied, "It was only a pine cone."

=======

There are levels of awareness and I am continuously trying to improve.

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zen and Poker (3 of 3)

Yeah, the last one (maybe).

In China 2 nobleman finally got an audience with Buddha.

They asked if he was a God. Buddha laughed and said, "No, I'm not a God."
Then they asked if he was a saint. Again he laughed and said, "No I am not a saint."
Then they asked, "If you are not a God and you are not a saint, what are you?"
Buddha replied, "I am awake."

I am trying to Wake Up.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Lefty, thank you SO MUCH for these posts...they are so thought provoking. I have been battling with health issues the past while and you have really helped me get my thinking back into perspective. All the best

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh Great

Now I'll be stuck with a warm fuzzy feeling. Well, until my next bad beat.

BUT I'm glad to help.

To add to this:
Students of Zen are given Koans (I think that's the term).
Questions that encourage one to think of only one thing for a while. It's not easy to do but comes in handy at the poker table.
One of the most common is:
"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

After 10 years I figured out MY answer.

One hand clapping makes the sound of pure joy.

On a lighter note:
"If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved them! Put some more if you can! Im trying to be more zen in my life and also in poker. Negreanu also talk a lot about incorporating zen techniques at the poker tables and life also. Its a good way to overcome tilt. While everything could be used, do you have any stories or even tips especially for tilt?

Ps Being right or wrong does not depend on other person? Like in poker making a right or wrong move does not depends on the results

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pain?

So I'm sitting on the floor after being defeated in a Karate sparring match - many, many years ago. My stomach really hurts. That was one great kick! As I want to just curl into a ball I remember a Zen saying.

"Experience pain without suffering. "

You will lose, just learn and move on.