Can you fold the pocket rockets?

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me today. I had a pair of aces in the hole and I flopped a set. But also a king and queen - all three spades. I wanted so bad to go all in but I knew trouble lie ahead. I called a small bet. Then came a jack of spades so I knew someone had to be holding a flush. They went all in. Heartbreak! I folded and wouldn't you know it, it ended with a royal flush. :sigh:

This wasn't the first time I folded strong hole cards but it has been rare that I folded a reasonably strong flop. I have never been sorry I folded when all was said and done.

So there you have it. Can you save yourself from yourself when you need to?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, I think you can fold but you can also call and hope to fill up.

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened to me today. I had a pair of aces in the hole and I flopped a set. But also a king and queen - all three spades. I wanted so bad to go all in but I knew trouble lie ahead. I called a small bet. Then came a jack of spades so I knew someone had to be holding a flush. They went all in. Heartbreak! I folded and wouldn't you know it, it ended with a royal flush. :sigh:

This wasn't the first time I folded strong hole cards but it has been rare that I folded a reasonably strong flop. I have never been sorry I folded when all was said and done.

That really really sucks. I feel your Pain. Hope you're not haunted by this and start questioning your judgement in the Future. . Best of luck to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I rarely get the chance to fold Aces because if I am low in chips I push all in before the flop and keep my fingers crossed.
There was one occasion I did fold pocket rockets, when I was in deep in a tourney and some big stack pushed before me and another player called him, I knew that there was only 1 player left to go out to get to the money so I folded hoping that I could pass the bubble which I did and finished going out with cash.:)

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Twice tonight I had inside straight flush. First one after the flop I had A235 in diamonds. A big stack goes all in and everyone folded. :( It's one of those times I always say to myself "we'll never know." In the other one at the turn I had a 5689 in spades. The betting was modest so I called. As usual it didn't come in but at least the raising wasn't wild. Interesting note: with an inside straight flush you will only win about once in 46 attempts. Open enders are about twice as often.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

means you have discipline and you made the right decision and got away from a big loss
it was a great and difficult but correct decision

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

bet big on the flop, snap call a jam. you have trip aces on an a-k-q board, what are you afraid of?

flopped flushes only happen 1% of the time and flopped straights w/ suited connectors only happen ~1.5% of the time, so 97% of the time, you're against a much weaker hand, and/or a drawing type of hand. but given the board texture, you're getting paid off of a lot weaker sets, 2 pairs, top pair, mid or bottom pair w/ a flush or straight draw, etc. so many hands that'll pay you off when you bet and very few hands that have you out right beat.

not saying it's impossible for you to be behind on the flop, it's just very unlikely. and, if you are, you have redraws to improve on the turn or river.

i really dislike your call on the flop because you convinced yourself you were behind or you're going to behind on a later street, and you allowed yourself to play super passively to give your big hand 'protection'. but it doesn't need it. it's such a strong hand you're getting paid off on so many times, you want to get your money in. in fact, you'd rather get your money in on the flop (if you can) because you guarantee you see the turn and river and you avoid putting yourself in awkward spots where you can get bluffed on a scary turn or river.

now, am i saying the turn fold to a jam is a bad fold? no, it's not. it's probably a great fold because you're likely way behind at that point. that's not the issue. the issue is, you put yourself into such an ugly spot that you're forced to make the fold. when you have a monster of a hand, you want to avoid weird spots where you're forced to check/fold or it's going to kill your action. by betting big, you know you're getting called by so many broadway combinations and you know, if your opponent has any strong hands+draws, they're calling or even jamming it in. and that's what you want, to set yourself up to stack off your opponent with a big hand.

so, yes, great fold but i think you played the hand poorly. would you have lost the hand if you played it aggressively? yes, but that's not the point. you can't be result oriented because you're going to lose sometimes, but you're still winning in this spot way more often than you lose. think of it this way, say the opponent had k10, no flush draw and they would've paid off a big flop bet, turn jam. but you decide to call a flop bet, check it down to the river. how much value did you just lose in that spot?

impossible to say without stack sizes, but you're losing a lot more value in that spot when you win the small pots by playing your strong hands passively than you are when you get it in good and lose by river. it's just simple +ev maths. of course, i'll take in some considerations if stacks are ridiculously deep but if they're the typical 25-65ish bb stacks, to be afraid to play for you full stack.

Last edited:
H

hanski4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding aces always sucks but sometimes you just have to do it

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces?

I'm all in Pre-flop with Aces. I don't prefer it any other way. :D

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! If the preflop pot has been raised to a decent size, then I'll go all-in, and on a small pot I don't mind throwing AA. Best regards, Sergey.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
6max , low stacked , ofcourse preflop shoves , I cannot fold . On other cases , very difficult , but I will do it when the board is very wet , many opponents like this flop and when the stcks are very big , or when I limped hoping to get some bets and reraises after me , but got ony other limpers , then abandon mission is the only choice :)

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep...if you limp and allow mutiple opponents in then you might as well abandon ship. Should you face a large bet or reraise. You're most like looking at two pairs or better. Sorry it happens...

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am always ready to make a difficult decision if I understand that my chances of winning have diminished. I believe that every successful player must take into account the risks and be able to make difficult and unpleasant decisions.
Good luck.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the stage of the tournament and the amount of my chips. Yes, I folded a pair of AA, which, of course, is unpleasant, but necessary to win.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes we need to fold, there are not wrong in fold a good hand if you know that others players with a better hand, it's preferable wait for others spots, talking about tournament, you can't win with only one hand, but you can lose with this, so we need to pay attention and play with our mind, don't be attached in cards, think about all the possibilities and try to understand what are the best action.

Ram41k

Ram41k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

It all depends on the situation on the table, if it is all-in without a flop, then definitely my all-in with AA will be and your AA is clearly behind - then boldly fold and fold them into the deck)

B_D_Cout

B_D_Cout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what happens. I’ve folded. Flush or straight on the board. freerolls people call anything so rockets have to start with a very generous raise to weed out most limpers

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Throwing rockets when necessary is one of the prerequisites for a successful poker player. After the flop, pocket cards are not important, but your hand and your vision are important.

D

dianasamu245

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
me tocado foldear ases un monton de veces ante boar donde no hay nada que buscar colore escaleras bajas incluso en boar con cartas dobladas donde los rivales hacen evidente que controlan la mano da un poco de dolor tirarlas pero esto es a largo plazo los de los torneos siempre hay revancha en este deporte

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s tough

Its tough to fold a hand like that. I think it shows your poker maturity. I need a little more myself.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never folds hands like Aces and Kings.

It's a stupidity.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure. Without this skill, it will be difficult to play. :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes, I fold AA or KK or QQ, when I see that it will not be a win. There are times that I get something strong several times. This is an alert because mathematically it is very difficult these strong pairs to win all the times. So it is very wise to fold a strong pair when needed!

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes,I can fold AA,I did that a few times when I had less chips than everyone else and was right before the money.And many times it was the right decision.

ptracco

ptracco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at flop and turn its easy to fold AA... the trick is to fold pre flop.. at a bubble or something... that hurts.
I had to fold AA at a bubble os a satelite to sunday million.. and I got the ticket

Folding in Poker