Are you aware of why you are betting?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker, in order to survive we have to we take right decisions, although we are subject to making mistakes at any time.

These right decisions must be taken with the information that we have during the game. These often incomplete information.

To get the so desired success, we have that is attentive to all but one of the many things to be decided are the cards in our hands, it is something of value worth investing our chips or are starting hands are trash.

We must also know why I'm playing this hand, "Value", "bluff" or "semi-bluff.

Given what I said in this short essay, I leave you a question: "Are you aware of why is betting?"

I would love to hear from you my friends from CardsChat. Hugs for all ... !!!

cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to recognize that sometimes I bet or c bet on impulse and I`m not aware of why am I betting.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is a deep issue that goes far beyond poker, once betting means an agreement between the two parts (in this moment, the thought arises, that is, the enigma activated by some neutral energy/prana, who knows) aiming at the perception of a sum and with different intentions in that process. And when you're betting (or making a bluff like you mentioned), we have only the uncertainty (transcends time and space) that shapes our destiny. Thanks for the question!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have some history with the people in the hand, you probably have a good idea why they are betting. As the hand goes on, my guess is there is enough information to know how to move forward.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have to admit, that I am not always aware. I try to be, but honestly I am not always. But I think, it is crucial to your success. But honestly I have often times, when I am playing unconciously. Often when I have many tables opened. But I can't be always focused on every table. I am a recreational player, who plays in the evenings or at the weekend. But if you play daily for income, you should have a focus on this in my opinion. But the question is very interesting, definitely.
I hope we will hear some of the pros. :)

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not aware why you are betting study Grandpa lot to learn from him good luck.:D

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not Always. I get on runs where I am very aware then lose focus. Bad beats, boredom, forgetting to watch what others are doing and asking what they have constantly, all lead to bad play and not really being aware of why I am making moves.
Good reminder.
Jb

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully, I am betting to either: have a worse hand call me or to make a better hand fold. This is probably the biggest "leak" that you will encounter playing micro- or low-stakes poker. Try playing above your normal "level" (buy-in) or stakes, it will seem as if you are being run over because "better" players are not even thinking like you are. (trust me, i am including myself in the micro-stakes "level")

How many times do you see someone flop the Nuts and bomb the flop, just to watch everyone fold?? When you have a very strong hand, you want to bet for value (some micro players will always trap), but you want to bet an amount that will allow weaker hands to continue. Another mistake is players playing flush draws as if they are made hands. People will shove or call with a flush draw, there is a time and place to semi-bluff mostly the Nut flush or 2nd Nuts but people will bomb away with 5 7 spades on a 2 spade flop. Sometimes they win, but it is definitely not profitable.

This question is something that can be discussed for hours and hours. I am continuously trying to have a better understanding of the actions I take and the reasons WHY. I just review my hands and try to identify WHY on every action I took. More often than not, the decisions that turned out horribly are the same decisions that I cannot really give you a sound reason for doing what i did.

Thanks, Good "thinking" question.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Poker, in order to survive we have to we take right decisions, although we are subject to making mistakes at any time.

These right decisions must be taken with the information that we have during the game. These often incomplete information.

To get the so desired success, we have that is attentive to all but one of the many things to be decided are the cards in our hands, it is something of value worth investing our chips or are starting hands are trash.

We must also know why I'm playing this hand, "Value", "bluff" or "semi-bluff.

Given what I said in this short essay, I leave you a question: "Are you aware of why is betting?"

I would love to hear from you my friends from CardsChat. Hugs for all ... !!!

Hello!

I bet to take the chips of my opponents!:):elefant:

Be successful in your bets!

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am too in the path of learning about the value bet, catching the bluff and full swing when I have strong hand.

I believe still long road ahead of me to learn more and more effective game play.

your brief notes very effect and mad me to think some extend how I am approaching the game.

Thanks and Good Luck.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question you have raised here is a very good one and a lot of today's player field would do well to seriously consider the answer to the question. The truth is you likely aren't playing optimally if you are not constantly asking yourself this question.

It is a dramatic oversimplification to say "I am betting because I have a good hand and want my opponent to call" or "I have nothing and want my opponent to fold". The true answer to this question lies in the consideration of the way our entire range of hands plays vs our opponents entire range of hands in any given spot.

If for example we open from UTG with AK and the big blind flats in the middle stage of an MTT, 30BB deep effective and the flop is 792r. Our opponent checks to us and we now need to determine whether or not we should continuation bet. We have a few factors to weigh. First of all, how often does our opponent fold to cbets? If he has a 0% Fcbet over 10 instances then already we know that this is a bad spot to cbet simply because it is very unlikely our opponent will fold. If our opponent will fold 90% to Cbets over 10 instances then he is overfolding in these spots and I will likely cbet in this spot no matter what. If our opponent has a more normal fcbet % like 40-65 then we have additional factors to weigh in this decision. First of all, how does our UTG opening range perform on 792r? The answer is: not very well. If we are opening 66+/A10o+/QKo+ which would be a pretty standard opening range here then the only hands which perform well on this flop are 77/99/1010+ and the rest of our range completely blanked and the portion of the range that blanked makes up a larger portion of our range than the part that hit. But we aren't the only player here, we need to also consider how villains BB defend range plays on 792r. The answer is... a lot better than our range does. Villain could have connected in any number of ways here with a myriad of hands which are never folding vs cbets on this dry a board. Our opponent has a significant range advantage against us here and so betting will in the long term be a futile effort. Had we just bet because "we wanted our opponent to fold" we would have arrived at a wrong decision and we would have ignored the critical factors in determining whether a bet is good here.

If you constantly ask yourselves the question "why am I betting here?" You will improve as a player very quickly.

FWIW in the above example I'm cbetting 77/1010+ and am checking back 99/A10+/KQ+

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a good card then I do - bet to raise the normal number of chips and sit longer in the tournament and try to get into the prize zone, I do not know why but there are players who raise bets on bad cards and lose!

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the dynamics of the game, if the table shows a good tight game and no one is bluffing, you can find a lot of ways to pick up the banks. And if on the contrary, you need to use the situation and cunning. The most ridiculous thing that happens during the game is when you try to bluff yourself, it is expressed in the inability to fold or put where you need to get. :fight:

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before poker i was a pro wrestler and in wrestling, the matches are stories and we as performers tell it and i find it the same in poker. betting tells a story and if you can learn to be aware of the story you're telling, you can maximize it , something im still trying to master

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been told that I am a compulsive gambler. So I think that is the main reason I am betting. Just sayin'.

R

rwade626

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The question of why are you betting is really kind of a loded question with as many answers as there are players in the world.

The reason for betting all depends on the situation.

For example, if I look down preflop in late postion holding J-Q suited, I may make a bet to push out weaker hands and hit the flop, however the other side of that is that if I'm in early position, I may just make a simple call and hope to hit the flop for cheap and then maximize my money from someone who didn't hit as good as I did, or is chasing hoping to make a hand.

The thing to keep in mind is that every decision at the table should be made with a reason behind it. The reason may no always be good, but when you look back you need to evaluate that decision, and learn from it. Even if a decision is good at that moment, does not mean it will be right in all future events. Sometimes pushing all in preflop with aces is the right move, other times, slow playing those aces is going to make you more money.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I typically first ask myself "what is my position and what is the effective stack size?" ---- "Why am I betting/calling/raising" is usually the second or third question I ask myself when putting money into the pot. I usually follow this in my mind with "how much should I bet/raise?"

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I have studied that and better players than me said that are 3 main reasons for betting and sizes for that

27-33% : size bet, when it is a dry board, rainbow, double board such as 7 7 Q for example

40-45% size bet, when you want do deny equity from your oponents, or when you want to him to fold a better hand

60-70% when its a super wet board and you may have the stronger hand but vilain will call you often, so you need to do a stronger size.

Hope I could helped a little gl on tables

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh man this is a complex one :p
Sometimes i know the players and how they play so I pretty much have a good idea of how the hand will play out, other reasons would be lack of patience, boredom, in a hurry, sometimes just for the thrill of it, sometimes i don't even know :) there are some useful coments here :)

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation at hand. I always know why I'm betting most of the bets are to try and gain information on why the person is doing what they are doing. Bet to lose the Hand but betting to win longterm value

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I may not be aware of it at the current moment if I;m not thinking about it but if asked or to go back and reflect on a certain hand in most cases I would say yes. If you are rushing through, tired, or distracted you may not be.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet to win, entertainment is down the ladder

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it might sound simple but I bet to win the pot. In order to do so you have to be able to bluff now and then. I have had people tell me I am stupid to bluff, but my response to this is that you can't get good cards all the time, so you have to make your own luck sometimes. Of course timing is everything with such moves...

B

biosstar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am reflecting my betting behavior, i realize that i am sometimes playing really bad hands when my stake is big enough. I don't really know why I am doing it :D

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have the same question and really survival on poker is a matter .On the other hand betting it's the only way to steal or win chips.Table gives the all information you need how to play but I am here to play...

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars