Are You Afraid Of Chip Leader?

hyperion

hyperion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.

Last edited:
Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, if the chip leader knows what he's doing.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising 4 bb then folding to chipleader all in bad idea with JJ just horrible luck he only 2 outs you could not ask for a better spot to double up.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.
Incredibly the ChipLedader wins 60-70% of the ALLIN, it would seem that the system favors it to be the annihilator and finish the tournament soon, hahahaha is my crazy idea ok, it is not official

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not afraid of the chip leader, I am usually gunning to double up off them. To even the playing field. I'm more afraid of me having chips rather than the chip leader.

2211_ultra

2211_ultra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid any leaders at all)

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had an ~81% chance to double up through the chip leader. That is great! It is hard to get much better than that. You should seek out these opportunities.

The biggest thing I have learned in the last year of spending lots of time studying poker is that you cant be afraid to get busted.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm not afraid to play against the chip leader. He has a lot of chips that can be won.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip leaders tend to play a little more loose aggressive than their usual style, especially against the short stacks, but once in a while the chip leader is also a cheap leader and hence a tight player all the way. I try not to go all in against a chip leader as a bluff, but go all in with good cards hoping he will make a loose call.

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm usually not afraid of a chip leader. I see them as a source for me to gain more chips without them noticing.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of the other players.

I'm afraid of the cards to come and myself making bonehead plays sometimes. :vollkomme

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes and others should be aware to. Because id he knows what he's doing,that's a whole different story

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your main goal in a tournament is Wining. In order to win a tournament is building a big stack taking any chance that your opponents give you. Secondly, you have to read your opponents and exploit their weaknesses and the most important thing don't be afraid to play against a chip leader or a professional.
To me was an excellent push !
Don't give up!

stackedmegaman

stackedmegaman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not usually, I tend to think that they got there by just getting lucky. Might not be true, but helps me mentally. But in the case that I am in a pot with the leader, changes my view, just like anyone that can knock me out. Either way poker is mainly a mental game, so fear can never be a good thing.

TrillUziVert

TrillUziVert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big stack leaders usually do have an advantage, and for that reason, yes. They have the chips to call out your bluff and the ability to raise aggressively.

soulkurt

soulkurt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest enemy or myself. I try to keep playing tight, but I can not always do it. Another thing is watching the players donks and loose because a chip leader loose can sometimes end their tournament

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played proper poker, but did you do it for the right reasons? It sounds to me that he was playing a very wide range and you got the exact hand to put him to the test with. If you really thoughts there was a strong possibility he could have QQ+ from previous hand action then you made a very bad call. It worked out to be the right call and you just got unlucky but if your just making 4bet jams to see what someone has its going to be a very rough road for your bankroll. Another thing is what position are you in? If you have position why not just call the 3 bet and see the flop and bet according to the board texture and opponents betting patterns. Avoiding any player that you have a read on is foolish. You just said he's basically a LAG. I think you need to find a line to take against this type of player that fits into your game

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
The chipleader has only one but very significant advantage over other players. If he goes with someone in all-in, in case of defeat he will not depart from the tournament. the most beneficial strategy of resistance to the chipleader is waiting, but the timely return aggression with a good hand.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid, but I try to get involved with him only in premiuns or plays where I'm more likely to have the best hand, of course I take into account the type of player that he is. If you notice that it is a weak (lucky), I start playing more hands with him.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all a little fishy with online poker. One thing you'll notice is that no matter the player, the system always favors the bigger stack OR if it's 3-4 players all in then the worst hand wins. Pay attention and you will see.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sound like you played that specific hand correctly. as for chip leader and behaviour, it really depends if he is super ag or just punting.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all a little fishy with online poker. One thing you'll notice is that no matter the player, the system always favors the bigger stack OR if it's 3-4 players all in then the worst hand wins. Pay attention and you will see.

This is so true, ive seen so many of this...ive been busted out with high pockets, a lot of time from chip leaders (chip leader on tables)

J

Jenya Zemlyanukhin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of chip leaders. With them, too, you can play, you just need to consider their ability to crush the bank

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope he is another player that is all

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts