WSOP 2003 Champ

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How come Chris Moneymaker played so well when he won the wsop in 2003, but hasn't had any luck winning or even making final tables of WSOP tournaments since?

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He was lucky on that tournament, it was his day. My thinking is that he is just a ordinary player, nothing special. He had his 5 min of fame and that is all.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

He was lucky on that tournament, it was his day. My thinking is that he is just a ordinary player, nothing special. He had his 5 min of fame and that is all.
Probably so, but his win changed the WSOP forever. Gave the regular poker players hope.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well, he has won over $1.4 million since then.
https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=18826

In addition to being a very good NLHE MTT player, he had a miracle run in 2003 - his first live poker experience. He was on a heater a few years ago, but I don't know how long it lasted. He is (was) a regular in all the American Midwest tournaments, and even had his own series for a while.

I sure hope he's netted more than that from promotional work. The very state of poker in the entire world (until the Pandemic, at least) owes itself to this man. He seems genuine, dedicated to loving poker, and nice (very important). He doesn't get the same Poker Media attention of childish brats or pubescent bro's, but he has meant more to the state of the game than all of them combined. Of course, like them, if it wasn't for him, it probably would have been someone else. It's just that in his case, he was the lucky first, the ordinary guy who "did OK in online tourneys" that actually beat a field of thousands to win millions - for a $40 buy-in (I think). He is the hero of all of us. And he has worn the mantle well. He's not overblown, he is humble. It has served him well over the lean winnings years.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Well, he has won over $1.4 million since then.
https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=18826

In addition to being a very good NLHE MTT player, he had a miracle run in 2003 - his first live poker experience. He was on a heater a few years ago, but I don't know how long it lasted. He is (was) a regular in all the American Midwest tournaments, and even had his own series for a while.

I sure hope he's netted more than that from promotional work. The very state of poker in the entire world (until the Pandemic, at least) owes itself to this man. He seems genuine, dedicated to loving poker, and nice (very important). He doesn't get the same Poker Media attention of childish brats or pubescent bro's, but he has meant more to the state of the game than all of them combined. Of course, like them, if it wasn't for him, it probably would have been someone else. It's just that in his case, he was the lucky first, the ordinary guy who "did OK in online tourneys" that actually beat a field of thousands to win millions - for a $40 buy-in (I think). He is the hero of all of us. And he has worn the mantle well. He's not overblown, he is humble. It has served him well over the lean winnings years.

Moneymaker is definitely a good guy. I like the person.

WSOP