Would Being a Dealer Help Your Game?

Z

zkmena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know several good players that also deal. I'm also anecdotally aware that sometimes being a dealer creates it's own blind-spots and frustrations. What are the advantages or disadvantages to being a dealer as a player? What do you think?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know several good players that also deal. I'm also anecdotally aware that sometimes being a dealer creates it's own blind-spots and frustrations. What are the advantages or disadvantages to being a dealer as a player? What do you think?
Not sure if it would help with playing, but I understand it's a good way to exercise your math skills figuring out pot splits. It's gotta be better than flipping burgers.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really, its just dealing and doing math or using a calculator. Although if you will later play against the players you dealt, you could look for tells during when you are dealing I guess

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would pick up tonnes in a conscious aware state if you could keep your mind on it, I think if you dealt 10k hands and weren't asleep for half of them you'd learn a lot.

Yoda82

Yoda82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so, yes. Because think of the 10's of thousands of more hands that they will see played than your average player. They get a chance to sit there and put people on ranges, watch people's play styles and determine who matches up to what style. They get to commentate the hand in their head, determine how they would play the board, and then judge the hand at the end if they get exposed.

W

woodsy3384

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't believe it would help at all

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I recall , I know several dealers who play poker from time to time. I don't know of any of them winning anything substantial.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how it could hurt. Obviously it is not the path for any training regiment or something someone would suggest to get better with. It certainly couldn't hurt though.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can be interesting to deal and try to guess what hands the players have.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message 6

I think the advantage of the dealer in the position and not so expensive to play in his place can be played with bad starting hands when many people entered the game plus so many people think that you play does not hurt with a good hand and do not know with what, but the minus is in the tournament It's hard to steal the blinds in the big blinds

Pudiel

Pudiel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've made a poker night in my house, it was like a tutorial for my friends, was kinda fun, and none of my friends know how to deal the cards, so I've taken the lead, the game flows mutch more when you are a dealer, you are more focused trying to not mess up, and chip count on pot gets faster, i think that you can be a better player if you deal... I mean... mechanics!

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

From what i know about this, dealers are very confident when it comes to card games ofc, even though it might be a questionable at the end of the day i would call it a disadvantage. There's no explanation needed obviously because various of mistakes come up at the table if a player believes he/she knows everything about the game. Confidence itself comes from a routine that dealers have and if we talk about ability to handle emotions quite easier over a years of practice for example, routine would definitely be an advantage. If a player who is a dealer at the same time can make a balance between routine and confidence will make a very good player.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got a first row seat to observe poker players at a table. I imagine being a dealer at a high-stakes table would allow you to see things you'd never see otherwise. So you are obviously going to pick up on things and learn from them. Playing at a table yourself would propably allow you to learn more.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think being a dealer would definitely help if you did a lot of studying outside of dealing.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think that it can help anyone ,if you have no extra sleeve two aces. ;)

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not really. But if you thing about feeding your subconscious poker mind, maybe it helps a little.

ogMaxVoltage

ogMaxVoltage

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a friend in Las Vegas who has incrementally and measurably improved his poker play since they became a professional dealer on the strip.

pabloT

pabloT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is bad when they know a lot about their game .. but generally they are not good at playing .. hehehe I prefer to face

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is interesting question I never thought about. I guess if it helped a significant amount it would probably be well known and more people would want to become one for the financial payoff of good poker playing in the end.

GGrinder

GGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe mike "the mouth" mattusow was a dealer for some time if thats anything to go by

think it could help ya

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
I really do not know as i only play online where you are dealer from time to time
Therefore it´s difficukt to say but certainely you learn a lot being a dealer
Rgds

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

The old saying is that dealers make terrible players.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know several dealers who play poker most have some winnings nothing substantial. Most seem to wash out for the game once they quit dealing. I am sure there are some top notch dealer /players but none in my neck of the woods

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never been a dealer, but I've always though that they get a perspective on the action that cannot be matched regarding certain insights.

Top 10 Games