worst blowup ever?

ihtennis

ihtennis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not sure how many of you have seen the Billy Kopp blowup yet against Moon, but if you havent you will. Kopp and Moon were pretty much guaranteed a spot in the november nine when kopp was dealt 5 3 of diamonds and Moon was dealt Q J of diamonds. The flop comes with 3 diamonds and Kopp bets and gets called by Moon. The turn paired the board, Kopp bet again and Moon checked raised. Kopp then decides to go all in and is drawing dead when Moon called. I was just wondering if you thought this was a good call by Moon, i mean of course it looks like a good call when he wins the hand, but wouldnt you put the guy on the A high flush or a full house? Also i was wondering if this is the worst blowup you have seen. If not, what is the worst youve seen?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full house was unlikely, unless he held a set of kings or a set of nines. K2 and 92 can be ruled out almost completely. It can be argued that he would bet those hands (set of kings or nines) the way he did on the flop, since he's looking to push out a big diamond with three-of-a-kind there. He definitely would have played differently after the turn with the boat, since he essentially has a cinch hand, except for quad twos, which would be just gross.

He would also have played the turn differently with an ace high flush. The 1/2 pot bet on the flop was reasonable, but IMO a 2/3 pot bet on the turn with an A high flush is a bad move, since he's looking for action, and probably not thinking about a full house. So all things considered, I liked Moon's call.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely up there considering what was at stake. Will definitely be the most talked about and discussed hand for sometime to come. Moon actually had a straight flush draw didn't he? I think Kopp stated he never even considered Moon had a higher flush.

Billy Kopp: On the turn, when he checked, I bet, and he raised me to 6 million. When he check-raised me, yes, it’s possible to fold there, but I still had a lot of fold equity, as well. Not to mention he could have a hand I’m crushing like A-2 or K-Q with a diamond, A-K with a diamond. When I flopped the flush, the last thing I was putting him on was a higher flush. He was playing a lot of pots, he had a big stack, so I thought he was very capable of having a lot of different hands in that spot.

Last edited:
D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great hand for Moon. Lets face it - the cards are loving him, and he hasn't made a huge mistake yet. Not sure if the downtime will work to his advantage...his rush might be over by the time of the final table. But he's my fav to win...a regular guy, who loves poker, just like all of us. I like Ivey, but he's in it for the braclet - the money he already has. Although it's anyone's game to win - Ivey has a long way to go to claim that braclet.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i seen that on tv as it aired i surely think kopp blew up like a bomb.. terrible terrible terrible play... Moon hitting lot of hands.. Sure he didnt want the break till November...

How about when Moon got 88 versus big stack who had AA and he flops set of eights and sends the guy to the rail on FT bubble..

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about when Moon got 88 versus big stack who had AA and he flops set of eights and sends the guy to the rail on FT bubble..

yep Jordan Smith bubbling with Aces. 15,0000,0000 chips and you look down at AA with one player to go before the November 9.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had not seen this hand before. My initial response is Kopp tried to make a move and thought he got lucky with that flop. With the way Moon played it I can see why Kopp thought Moon might be on a higher flush draw, that is, until Moon check raised to 6 million. At this point I'm probably throwing my hand away or just flatting. I'm not sure, but I'm sure I don't reraise all in. It was obvious that Moon was staying no matter what after that check raise.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not the worst blowout ever in terms of bad play but certainly one of the most costly.
I think Kopp played it fine until the all in push.
Its possible on the turn that Moon has AK with ace of diamonds, KQ with queen of diamonds, or A2 and thinks he has the best hand so I think just folding to the reraise is too conservative. I think he should have just called the reraise and evaluated on the river, calling a smaller bet, and folding if Moon bets too much, but I wouldn't have been massively surprised if Moon was content to check it down on the river, himself not 100% certain that Kopp didn't have a full house or an ace flush.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that stack, I was shocked to see him shove.

What can you say about Moon,though? The guy sure picked a pretty good stretch to have the most intense heater I have ever seen.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He couldve gotten away from the hand. Full house wasnt there. Just a bad play when youre that close to the 9. I'm sure hes going to kick himself for the rest of his life. The money he made was great but he had a legit shot at winning the whole thing. He made Scottys blow up look minor.

moeraj

moeraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kopp had a chance to get off the hand when the turn paired the board.I think it's easy there to put Moon on a boat.Still very tough to fold without a fourth diamond on board but all-in? Come on.

fajackta

fajackta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, i actually just ran into this situation a couple days ago. Its hard to get off of it but i mean come one, small flushes are just bad news. You always end up seeing someone push with a made flush on the turn only to be called by someone with the nut draw and the board hits the flush on the river. I definitely wouldve gotten away from this now, just knowing that its usually trouble. And especially not worth that many chips

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That play is right up there with scotty when he impolded in late position of the wsop. Not sure what hewas thinking playing against theluckiest person in the tournament. fold ur way to final tablethen if u need tomake moves like that, when u have money in pocket.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was there a blow up? or did I miss it??? I have it DVR'd so I'll have to watch it to see because this video didn't really show a blow up.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kopp blew it by not believing he was beat, it is however Jordan Smith that was a real sickener.

Dealt AA and Moon hits his set on the flop (of 8s) - i said preflop, if you lose on the bubble with AA i dont think you could ever face AA again, then whammo :eek:

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was spewy and he should have played alot more conservatively but sometimes the mist decends I guess.
I couldn't make the call if I was Moon that's for sure.

The AA bubble was pretty funny, you could almost see the 8 before it came. I want Moon to win, he seems like a really nice, genuine guy. He's quiet and gets on with it, he knows how hot he's running too and has no illusions. Him or Ivey just to prove a pro can win.

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes darvin moon is a true gentleman, just like dennis phillips was back last year. phillips was the big stack heading in to the november 9 as well, but we all saw how he managed to self-destruct. hope it doesnt happen to moon.

respect how he recognises he's on a insane heater, and he admits it to the other players as well. how can u hate a guy who admits he's just plain lucky to be there. what i cant believe is that he's turning down all the sponsorship deals though.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By far the most interesting hand of the tournament so far (well, that they've shown anyway). Mistakes abound.

I won't fault Kopp for raising early with a crap hand like 53s because he's a big stack and he may bust one of the little guys with it. But once Moon calls him and they're heads up, it's definitely time to exercise caution.

On the flop, certainly a bet is warranted with the small flush, but it's much more important to keep the pot small than it is to protect the little money you've invested in this pot, IMO. A bet of about half the pot makes sense.

When the turn comes and pairs the board, there's a lot of ways Kopp can play it. You can make a solid case for bet/fold, bet/call (small raise only), check/call, and check/fold. But bet/shove is indefensibly the worst option, bar none.

As for Moon, PF call is fine. I would have raised the flop since I don't want the lone ace of diamonds to beat me, but whatever. His big "mistake" in the hand is calling Kopp's shove. I say this not because I necessarily believe it was a bad call, but because the guy didn't even realize the board was paired at the time!

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/...p-the-45-million-dollar-hand-revisit-7492.htm

Good heavens... it's bad enough that we got one guy that's dumb enough to risk his guaranteed spot at the final table on a 5 high flush on a paired board, but it's worse that the big stack calling him can't even discern all the ways in which he could be beat before calling off 90% of his chips.

I found the hand amazing. Surprised there hasn't been more made of it in the poker media, such that it is.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was pretty bad, but I think Scotty's bust on a dumb all-in bluff a couple years ago when he went out 11th was worse.

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tony G's blowup at that russian that called him with JK was hilarious. Any of Mike Matusows aswell are bad. The Darvin Moon one, they both had a pror chance to exit the hand.

stellerteller

stellerteller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this on tv and was in utter amazement! I have to say, though, the 2/3 pot bet on the turn by Kopp was the total deal breaker. Darvin had to have known that that kind of bet is aimed at getting the apponent to release the hand, not to induce a call. There were a bunch of scare cards out there for Kopp and I feel that he could have layed that down, especially considering how far he made it in the tournament. He didn't get that far by not making those kinds of lay downs. Absolute Bomb! I don't know that I would do anything different in the situation except not play 3-5! HELLO! Sitting pretty and just had to go and ruin it.

J

j_unatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a crazy game

I love how kopp tried to justify this bad play. He had so many chips I was just stunned he went all in there, like someone said pretty much guaranteed a spot in the november nine if he kept playing tight aggressive without going crazy. As for the call I really wouldnt put him on a full house there I dont think he would go all in like that with one over trying to get more chips out of moon with a call or smaller raise. Just sick sick stuff people really will be talking about it for a while