Winning vs. Winning It Back

P

Patchco89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I've noticed something interesting with my play and I wonder if something similar is happening to you...

My bankroll is increasing each day for the most part, but very slowly because somehow I am able to win back money I've lost a lot quicker than actually just winning more money when I'm up.

For example, I could start a session at 50NL... maybe win a few hands, get up to $70... then have a bad run bringing me down to just $20 or so, but I always seem to be able to get it back to at least $50 or $60+ by the end of the session, fairly easily. But once I'm back up, it's hard to progress further without going back down again. This happens repeatedly, keeping my bankroll break-even or slowly increasing.

I'm just wondering why winning it back feels easier than just consistently winning a profit? I feel like maybe I'm playing differently when I'm down, because I want to make sure I don't lose it all? But once I'm up, maybe I'm playing too conservatively? Or the other way around? I really can't put my finger on it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
emotion and poker are not quite good in symbiosis

V

Vespa412

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you reload to the max buy-in when you go under?

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
winning it back is usually an emotional thing, not a good one for stable growth

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play cash games. I prefer MTT, but bankroll is growing very slowly because you lose most of the tournaments, and unfortunately you win the smaller part)

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! Lately, I’m terribly unlucky at the cache table, I play in tournaments, the bankroll is practically not growing. Sincerely, Sergey

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make fewer mistakes and do not lose money, then instead of winning back, you will steadily increase. Good luck!:)

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players will build their stack slowly. Often it will take a player dozens or even hundreds of hands to aquire their stack but many times they'll blow it off in one or two hands. The reason why you see it happening over and over again is that very few of us low stakes players adjust our style of play when our stack size changes. We use the same strategy when we are shallow stacked (20bb or less) as we do when we are average stacked or deep stacked (100bb or more). For cash games where you usually buy in for 100bb or more its critical to understand how to play deep stack poker if you want to be successful. Evan Jarvis who is a contributor on this site. Has some really awesome content on just about every thing relating to poker including deep stack play. I really could not recommend his videos enough. They've done wonders for my game and the best part is that nearly all his content is free. You can find it on gripsed.com or on youtube. I went from a loosing/break even .10/.20 player to crushing 1/2 and soon I hoping to move up to 2/5. All it took was devoting a few hours every week to studying the game. Anyway I'm sorry for the long-drawn-out answer. I hope it may be of some help to you.

L

luan466

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I've noticed something interesting with my play and I wonder if something similar is happening to you...

My bankroll is increasing each day for the most part, but very slowly because somehow I am able to win back money I've lost a lot quicker than actually just winning more money when I'm up.

For example, I could start a session at 50NL... maybe win a few hands, get up to $70... then have a bad run bringing me down to just $20 or so, but I always seem to be able to get it back to at least $50 or $60+ by the end of the session, fairly easily. But once I'm back up, it's hard to progress further without going back down again. This happens repeatedly, keeping my bankroll break-even or slowly increasing.

I'm just wondering why winning it back feels easier than just consistently winning a profit? I feel like maybe I'm playing differently when I'm down, because I want to make sure I don't lose it all? But once I'm up, maybe I'm playing too conservatively? Or the other way around? I really can't put my finger on it.

interesting, but i think you need forget this, focus and this will not happen all days

L

luan466

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

need patienc, this will dont happen all times

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your BR keeps growing on a daily basis then you are either good or lucky...
How much is it going up ?

Maybe you are expecting to win more than you usually will ?

How many BB do you win per 100 hands?
Depending on the quality of your game you will usually not win more than 5 - 10 BB / 100
If you do you should think about moving up a limit.
So winning $2,5 per 100 hands is good in NL50

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't play cash games, but make sure you reload to the max buy-in or at least 100 bbs when your stack drops. otherwise, you lose a ton of value if you don't.