Why don't people simply follow the recreational players?

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To the rooms that the most of them?

I see a lot on these forums about how almost everybody prefers pokerstars, yet partypoker has more recreational players (sometimes referred to as fish).

Whatever ones reason for playing, surely we all like to face a softer field , so why are people not simply playing where the easier money is?

Just wonder if i'm missing something here, or whether the talk of softer fields here and there is really just conjecture and the fields are actually similar?

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To the rooms that the most of them?

I see a lot on these forums about how almost everybody prefers Pokerstars, yet Partypoker has more recreational players (sometimes referred to as fish).

Please provide a link to the statistical information that you used to make this assertion.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not making that assertion, I'm referring to what people say in many threads on here. I don't know whether or not it's correct , as I note in my post.

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You categorically state that "PartyPoker has more recreational players".

I'd like to see proof of this, please.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's because I awkwardly phrased my opening line - once again, it's meant to be paraphrasing what I've read on here and other poker websites (with party poker being an example, sometimes it's 888,Ladbrokes etc being compared with PS).

You seem to be looking for an argument, which I am not really interested in, I'm here to share and learn. So let's just simply agree that I have no proof of this assertion (that I wasn't trying to make) and allow me to re-state my question.

It seems some people believe that some poker platforms are easier than others. Do people believe this to be true, and if so, what other considerations could justify playing somewhere more competitive?

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reg or Rec

Yes, easy money is in a rec, but it's a boring game if you ask me

Although a tilted rec, it's sure money in the bank and a lot funnier!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's because I awkwardly phrased my opening line - once again, it's meant to be paraphrasing what I've read on here and other poker websites (with party poker being an example, sometimes it's 888,ladbrokes etc being compared with PS).

You seem to be looking for an argument, which I am not really interested in, I'm here to share and learn. So let's just simply agree that I have no proof of this assertion (that I wasn't trying to make) and allow me to re-state my question.

It seems some people believe that some poker platforms are easier than others. Do people believe this to be true, and if so, what other considerations could justify playing somewhere more competitive?

Yes, certain platforms are "easier" than others. I think logically it would make sense to play on sites that have the highest traffic, or stated differently, the sites that are the most trusted and easy to get some money on. Think from the perspective of the fish, who just wants to deposit $100 and play right now! :D

I have found that sites with robust sports betting client bases are very good sites to play poker on. BetOnline/Sportsbetting has been great for me. :)

Your second question is interesting, and I have one answer for you. Promotions seem to attract regs to a certain platform and help them justify playing against stronger competition. For example, once BoL/SB started the April SNG leaderboard the regs all slid down to the micro stakes SNGs and just infested the games. They are all playing against stronger competition, because they are chasing the SNG LB.

Promos bring the regs.

I'm interested in talking about this topic more, I'll be monitoring this thread.

Great topic, thanks for starting this thread.

J$

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not only fish matter

Hello, look beyond that in a certain room there are more fishs and in another no, I prefer the room where it is comfortable and has everything I want to play in optimal conditions.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most markets (including my country) you follow what is permitted (regulated) so you can not always follow recreational players. Moreover if any site have much more recreationals sharks will follow and it will eventually balance naturally.

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because recreational players won't move me to better poker skills.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will find all types of players and skill level on every site. I play on Merge with a certain buyin and table format. Over the last 5 years, their are regulars with different skill. Having history on players regardless of how bad or good they are, is by far the most useful information.

To be focused on reading players based on table history, far out weighs trolling for fish, regardless of the lake you are at.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think player skills are more important than the site on which he plays. Improve your skills and it will allow you to make money on any site.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of players choose Pokerstars because it is the most popular room (everyone knows them), they have the most convenient software and many different tournaments

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because recreational players won't move me to better poker skills.

Yeah, I think this is the biggest benefit to playing in stronger fields, although it does mean one may have to pay to learn or play at lower stakes. That said, this is probably true each time you move up in stakes.