Why do you play poker?

T

thepokerdoctor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this seems like a random question, but I find it interesting none-the-less. Why do you play poker? Is it for the money? The rush/excitement? The fame? Or is it your own little sanctuary, a place that relaxes you? Or something else?

I’m only asking because I just recently go into an argument with one of my closest friends. He asked me why I was getting back into poker. I told him flat out that it was because of the money. Do I think I’ll win a ton of money? Highly unlikely. However, it’s a dream. Don’t get me wrong. I love the excitement, the mental challenge, and the comradely of it. However, make no mistake, I want to win money. Big money.

He basically called me a sell-out, and accused me of playing for the wrong reasons. He considers poker his little sanctuary, a safe haven to get away from the stresses of the world. I completely understand. He has three kids, all under the age of 3, and works at a job he hates. However, I find it hard to believe that the majority of poker players aren’t primarily playing for the money. Am I wrong?

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok excellent question, I have many reasons why I play, so I will make a list.

1) I really enjoy poker, I look at it as a sport and I'm very competitive.

2) I love the adrenaline you get when you get a bad beat, or make a ft, or you win with AA vs KK or you win some huge pot, basically you know what I mean I hope.

3) of course I play to win money, in fact I got myself a nice laptop because of poker with my winnings.

4) I got some good friends because I started playing poker, I joined a friendly site CC and met cool people and learned stuff.

5) When I play with my friends and family at home, I enjoy having a good time and spending time together.

6) Poker is a game of skill, not luck like some say.

7) I'm not great at math but I really enjoy the math behind poker, pot odds and stuff like that.

8) I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

un-diluted

un-diluted

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, fun question

because I'm good at it?

been on a bad spell recently, but it doesnt matter. just played a bit less, and have been on vacation in VT anyway.

because I love it? very vague answer, and had I not had all these cocktails I could elaborate.

BTW sorry folks. I just got the goofy message that said I hadnt posted for a bit. As I said, been on a dry spell and nnot plaing much at all, mostly playing lower stakes to get my fix w/out blowing my br, and been on vaca.
should be back now....

been fixing my leaks on micro.

been reading and not posting mainly out of frustration and anxiety, to see how everyones doing. saw zachvac go deep in sun. mil, gg sir wp imo. saw others too, just didnt feel like TYPING about cards and such.

win win win

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im pretty sure the only reason I play poker is to make money, I will be doing 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week of playing in the future. I love the challenge of playing different opponents, and how pretty much every hand can be played in any way. Current year goal is to make supernova on Stars.

Its not going so hot right now but thats because I have a small bankroll atm :D Once I make a serious deposit at the end of the summer ($5-$10k) ill get the ball rolling for some serious multitable 200nl.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play a ton of basketball. The last several years I've had some injuries that have held me back. I've played poker for 6 years, but since basketball has been put on hold I've turned to poker for the competitive fix.

I love outplaying people not by "getting lucky" playing 80% of the hands dealt to me, but playing a solid TAG game. I've had some good results and feel that I might even be a better poker player than a basketball player.

Playing poker does however have draw backs vs. basketball. If someone hit a lucky ass shot vs. me I could just play better defense or maybe throw I little elbow as I set a pick or something aggressive. In poker if I get a bad beat I can only continue to play a strong TAG game. If I switch things up and bet more I'm just asking for trouble. So when I get a bad beat to take me out of a MTT I can only do a couple of things punch a way, drink some beer and punch a wall, or just be a grumpy little bitch all day and take it out on everyone I know. Poker love hate relationship indeed!!!

mparker876

mparker876

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I enjoy the competition.
2. The money.
3. That adrenaline rush you get when you're all in and about to take down a huge pot if you can just avoid your opponents outs on the river. :D The rush isn't quite as big when you've got him drawing dead, but it's not stressful either.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^this, and more.
Ive finally found something I consider Im good at, and love to play it any time, day or night!

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok excellent question, I have many reasons why I play, so I will make a list.

1) I really enjoy poker, I look at it as a sport and I'm very competitive.

2) I love the adrenaline you get when you get a bad beat, or make a ft, or you win with AA vs KK or you win some huge pot, basically you know what I mean I hope.

3) of course I play to win money, in fact I got myself a nice laptop because of poker with my winnings.

4) I got some good friends because I started playing poker, I joined a friendly site CC and met cool people and learned stuff.

5) When I play with my friends and family at home, I enjoy having a good time and spending time together.

6) Poker is a game of skill, not luck like some say.

7) I'm not great at math but I really enjoy the math behind poker, pot odds and stuff like that.

8) I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Every thing Bob said plus this little side bar

I have no illusions of being great and turning pro, I can hold my own at most tables and i enjoy the game.:):):)

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play because it's always been something i've loved to do & i am good @ it.

The free $$$ isn't bad either LOL :D

Tomthebomb

Tomthebomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First I play poker because it is mentally challenging. As humans we must continue to develop our minds, or they will fade. You can see a direct correlation of the mind and its strength due to its usage. Why does poker give me the highest value of mind usage? Nothing is ever the same, it is not an everyday job, or brushing my teeth, or going to the bathroom. All the time spent playing poker is extremely educational, and can be used to high value.

Secondly I play poker because it is a exciting game.
I love all strategic games like risk, rpgs, and anything you can build teams and be in versus. I like the challenge, the reward, and even the loss. Just in the act of competing I am happy.

Lastly I play poker because it is highly profitable.
All you need to win is 1.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^excellent post, Tom.
welcome to CC, if i havent already said it to you, nice to see another penguin(avater), we have a few already!

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
money is a good enough reason, but not too many ppl make money from online poker, it relaxes me more than anything i've ever found after my bouts with chemo, & if you've ever had chemo you know what i mean

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hope it's going good with you, liza, I remember your intro thread.
Nice avater, btw, that is Ms Minelli, right, or am I blind?
She's hot, anyway!
GL

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, I started playing Poker (5 card draw) back when I was 5, when my grandfather taught me, which he also taught me how to play chess around that time. At that time, it was just a chance to have fun and hang out with my grandfather.

I didn't really get into poker until about 2 years ago, when my roommate at the time (who was a big poker player), wanted to teach me how to play Hold 'Em and Omaha. I declined at first, because I didn't think I would be able to get into it, but eventually caved in. I started to get into it, and after 3 months of playing, I entered my first tournament (30 player free bar tournament), and I won. I won 20 bucks and didn't have to put in any money, so I can't complain. I was hooked after that.

I play because I enjoy the game. If I can make some money out of it, that's great.. if not, no big deal. I also play because I meet some different and interesting people as well.

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why I play poker...

Well, being a stay at home mom sure has its challenges..so when I am feeding my little guy a bottle or just holding him to make him happy I play poker. It ends up being an all day affair mostly. I am now addicted to it. I also love the competitive side.I love to win...yankeenut23:D

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i've went from nothing to $101 in about a couple months, a friend loaned me $5 i gave it back & still on top, looks like i may owe her some :p
guess i'll have to break down & deposit soon:eek:

martygokona

martygokona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because, like most gamblers.. I crave the action. It's not always about the amount of the wager. Someone once said, "If you don't have action, you don't have anything."

Stu Ungar was the same way. Read the book "One of a Kind" if you get a chance.

If you don't have action, You don't have anything.

Aloha

B

BlackFish2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. for fun
2. to win money
3. competition
4. and the adrenaline rush I get when I play in tournaments

U

unstoppable4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because I like the competition, I like to win, its fun, and I like the action.

Oh yeah I love that money too!

T

thepokerdoctor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly didn't think I'd get this many responses. I find them quite interesting. I guess I was thinking I’d get a universal answer.

The mental challenge is probably the 2nd most important reason why I play. Like a member posted above, if you don't use it, you lose it. In my opinion, even though I'm relatively new to the game, there are very few sports that are as mentally challenging as poker. Chess and golf come to mind, however they pale in comparison to poker. Not only is it an analytical game, it also requires a unique intuition that I believe is unparalleled in any sport along with a little bit of gamesmanship/showmanship and luck. Being able to read another player is probably the toughest skill I’ve come across in a long time.

B

berta1950

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the competition and the game. of course a hope of winning some decent money. a way to pass time when nothing is going on. a way of meeting some nice people and new friends. a stress reliever of a different sort. lastly i just like playing poker.

katharine

katharine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Liza (I wish you well btw) my number one reason is :
It's sooooo relaxing. I work from home, have a young child plus one on the way, my days can get stressful. PLaying poker midday helps me unwind, and forget about all the stress.

Reason #2 is the adrenaline rush

Reason #3 is the money, but it's a distant third b/c I have much more difficulty playing online than in home games (which sadly I don't get to do that much anymore)

T

tiamarie223

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good question!
I play for a bunch of reasons, money is only a small part of it.
I enjoy the game and I used to be able to play live a lot and with 4 small children thats just not possible anymore.
Its a rush and its something to do while the kids are at school LOL

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can a mod sticky this please?? I think this a very good thread and would be good for beginners to post in it. Just my opinion, thx.