Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am a player that does not say much at the table but why do people slow roll players when that have a monster hand. I get you can tilt the other player. I also get sometime there maybe a timing issue or you are on another table playing a hand out. But there are players who just love to do it all the time counting down to 1 second left on the clock and show the aces.

I just had it happen to me to end my tournament with a very good player who had to even use his time bank to count down to one second thinking should I call with my aces. My reaction to the slow roll. Oh well.

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, slow roll gone sour but straight flush? NH sir

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a player that does not say much at the table but why do people slow roll players when that have a monster hand. I get you can tilt the other player. I also get sometime there maybe a timing issue or you are on another table playing a hand out. But there are players who just love to do it all the time counting down to 1 second left on the clock and show the aces.

I just had it happen to me to end my tournament with a very good player who had to even use his time bank to count down to one second thinking should I call with my aces. My reaction to the slow roll. Oh well.
By any chance was this close to the bubble or close to the next step in the pay ladder? Assuming your opponent was fairly shortstacked and only had you slightly covered, they may have been stalling in hopes that they could move up the pay ladder if you ended up cracking their aces.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

why? Immaturity. Mentally unwell. Impaired by alcohol. Parents didn't love them.
... and the list goes on.

Some players who know each other will do it to each other.. 'for fun'.

Today I was in a tourney on 888, one player was really loose/bad, playing over 50% of hands, making many crazy bad calls, etc. and accumulating a big stack.
I got into a hand vs. them and had put in a large 3B preflop with a big pair (QQ) They called with J7o. and flopped trips. Because of stack depths I wasn't able to get away from my hand & also thinking I might be ahead still... I ended up getting it in on the turn. They timed down... hit their timer.... and continued to time down (they hit the 'J' for a boat on the turn). They clicked on their extra timer. Now I knew I was beat... I could just feel it coming.
And.. they call! Yup.. J7o.. turned boat. pfff.. whatever.

Oh wait!
River 'Q'... and I river a bigger boat FTW!!!

A few players on the table cheered in the chat box. I had villain covered (barely) & he was OUT!
slowroll karma

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
each one has their own way of playing, but of course it bothers them a long time to respond when they have a card bomb, but each one has their own game, we shouldn't be bothered by that, we should calm down and be calm to give our best Always with heads, many of the poker players use these strategies to imply that their opponent does not have a good hand, we must have information about your rival to take advantage of that.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
By any chance was this close to the bubble or close to the next step in the pay ladder? Assuming your opponent was fairly shortstacked and only had you slightly covered, they may have been stalling in hopes that they could move up the pay ladder if you ended up cracking their aces.

That I could have understood if it were the case. We were nowhere near the money bubble and he was the chip leader at the time. My push was a short stack push into him.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
why? Immaturity. Mentally unwell. Impaired by alcohol. Parents didn't love them.
... and the list goes on.

Some players who know each other will do it to each other.. 'for fun'.

Today I was in a tourney on 888, one player was really loose/bad, playing over 50% of hands, making many crazy bad calls, etc. and accumulating a big stack.
I got into a hand vs. them and had put in a large 3B preflop with a big pair (QQ) They called with J7o. and flopped trips. Because of stack depths I wasn't able to get away from my hand & also thinking I might be ahead still... I ended up getting it in on the turn. They timed down... hit their timer.... and continued to time down (they hit the 'J' for a boat on the turn). They clicked on their extra timer. Now I knew I was beat... I could just feel it coming.
And.. they call! Yup.. J7o.. turned boat. pfff.. whatever.

Oh wait!
River 'Q'... and I river a bigger boat FTW!!!

A few players on the table cheered in the chat box. I had villain covered (barely) & he was OUT!
slowroll karma
'

Well said mate. That is kinda my thought to be honest. Love the karma you had on that other guy. I may not get upset when someone slow rolls me but I do have pleasure when they get a bad beat when they do.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
many people take their time with either hand. You don't have to have an AA to do this. It's just that while you're waiting, someone has already left. Sometimes it is profitable. Especially if there are many participants in MTT

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see slowrolling as simply an element of the game grouped in with psychology, I don’t see it as direct as trying to get people to outright tilt, but rather perhaps make opponents second guess their aggressiveness or perhaps entice their aggressiveness. Adjusting speed of play can make others second guess their rythum once comfortable.even a few seconds of trickery could alter their “zone”.
I myself do not slow roll to be a jerk, or (be unsportsmanlike<—-if that’s even a reality when it comes to playing for real money lol. These people want every cent you have, they are not your “friends” and will gladly take it any chance they can. I myself am not a “nice” guy when I play, but I am never ever rude,... but when we are playing for real money, I am there to win money..not be looked at as an awesome dude. Lol I however am never a complete jerk, I am just competitive..I want to win.

I talk and am friendly after the game:)

So, to me slowrolling is just an element of the game and really takes a per game, per table image of players, per past experiences with those players, per position of player next to type of player etc to really see what is going on with a slowroll.

I would never slowroll unless I had a real reason to do it, even if I somehow wanted to deep down do it to be a jerk(for some reason or another at time)..I just wouldn’t as it’s not part of my goal in the game to win ...and get no satisfaction or see a point in deviating from the goal of winning money by slowrolling (just to slowroll) :)

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess slow-rolling makes opponents thinking that they have a marginal hand and consider their actions. When I have a premium hand, I will don't push or make my action too fast, just think about 5-10s before making an action. I only slow roll when the tour is on the bubble or on a high pay jump.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy, because you shouldn't play a hand the same way all the time. the easier thing in poker is to play against players that only raise strong hands. easy fold and easy to bluff.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As usual, many in here don't understand what a 'slowroll' is. We're not talking about 'SLOWPLAYING'... or "playing slowly'. This is a different thing here... 'SLowroll'. Try Google Search. Or... read my other post above where I describe getting 'slowrolled' by another player (he turns a fullhouse... HE KNOWS he has the best hand. I PUT all of my chips in the middle.... he doesn't call right away... He is the only other player in the hand. He times down 'as if' (pretending) he can't decide if he should call or not.. BUT he KNOWS he has 100% the best hand.... & yet he still stalls.... & then stalls some more (he is hoping you are thinking his hand is weak.... so that you will believe that you are about to win the hand)..
He then hits his extra timer and allows that to 'almost' expire. Then he calls... WITH THE NUTS!!! (because he thinks this is funny).

Now do you understand?
As mentioned by another member above .. 'it's a dick move'.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is certainly annoying, but there are much more important things that are worth spending your thoughts and your time on. Every time you get out of balance remember what it means your opponent has achieved what you want.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow Rolls?

Some people just like to keep you in suspense and get your goad. I think it's a control issue.

I majorly slow rolled once, years ago, when I was trying to win a ticket into a million dollar tournament. I did just as you described, counted down to the last second on every hand. Pissed a lot of players off. They didn't realize we weren't in competition with each other. We were in competition with the other tables.

I outlasted the competition on the other tables and won the entry into the tournament, but shortly afterwards I was contacted by the site management and given a warning because so many players complained about me. I just told them I was having internet problems and apologized.

Then a few days later I came across another player in a game and he thanked me. He said if it weren't for me he wouldn't have made it past the bubble and gotten his entry into the tournament either. That made me feel a little better, kind of like I wasn't doing it just for myself.

I slow roll occasionally now, but nothing major. Only add a few seconds to my responses. Not enough to become a nuisance. Usually when I'm short stacked and climbing the ladder for payouts in MTTs.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People do lots of strange things at the tables. It doesn’t bother me at all. If someone slowroll nuted hand I mark this player and move to another game. It’s little bit annoying, but what can you do. Less you annoyed are, better you can play another game.

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a slowroll during live play has a much greater effect than for online play. It’s very clear what’s happening in a live tourney, not so much when online and what the reason is, as mentioned previously it could just be slow play. Either way, such tactics should be negated by your ability to not let it affect you.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Actually, I don't really care about sloww roll, I always try to make sure it doesn't affect me ... Especially in tournaments where the bubble is about to burst (when this is most commonly).

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is advisable to treat others as you want to be treated. Do not scoff at anyone, try to offend or humiliate. Therefore, it is not necessary to go down to the level of prowler and pay them with the same coin. But occasionally, a slowall is appropriate, usually when the players are familiar and are ready to pose for each other in this way.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would do it only against a friend of mine or in general against someone who does know me well in order to tease him :D:D:D . Against an unknown player I find it such a stupid move especially nowhere near bubble etc.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care about that. Everyone is equal, everyone has their own time which is given to them by the rules. And let them use it as they want. This shouldn't bother you, unless you're in titlt.

Stabbi

Stabbi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Honestly, one million times i lose game with monster cards. That's why i am never playing agresively. Even with AA i will see what's going on at table then raise, but sometimes i love to fish those people who raise all the time. That make me so fking happy...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Some people just like to keep you in suspense and get your goad. I think it's a control issue.

I majorly slow rolled once, years ago, when I was trying to win a ticket into a million dollar tournament. I did just as you described, counted down to the last second on every hand. Pissed a lot of players off. They didn't realize we weren't in competition with each other. We were in competition with the other tables.

I outlasted the competition on the other tables and won the entry into the tournament, but shortly afterwards I was contacted by the site management and given a warning because so many players complained about me. I just told them I was having internet problems and apologized.

Then a few days later I came across another player in a game and he thanked me. He said if it weren't for me he wouldn't have made it past the bubble and gotten his entry into the tournament either. That made me feel a little better, kind of like I wasn't doing it just for myself.

I slow roll occasionally now, but nothing major. Only add a few seconds to my responses. Not enough to become a nuisance. Usually when I'm short stacked and climbing the ladder for payouts in MTTs.

This ^ is not 'slowrolling'. What you have described is 'playing slowly'... or 'timebanking'. It is far different from 'slowrolling'. (if you want to know what slowrolling is, read my post above your's)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't care about that. Everyone is equal, everyone has their own time which is given to them by the rules. And let them use it as they want. This shouldn't bother you, unless you're in titlt.

Ok then. I will add you to my 'Slowroll List'. If I'm able to slowroll you someday on the tables, let me know if you're still feeling the same way about it. ;)

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they do it to try to despair the villains thinking that he is not attentive to the table and the game, so that we raise him with the idea of ​​making him go or put away and in those cases take advantage of a good hand from them and try to get us out of the tournament or as many chips as possible.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because they are expecting the opponent to bluff.. I've done this few times, but i soon realized it's not good, at least not against weak opponents.. if you bet they tend to call with low pairs like 2 or 3 until the river, no matter how big you bet.. in one way is good cuz you can increase your stack considerably, but I stopped keeping track on how many times my AA KK QQ became worthless against low sets like 222 333, or even two pairs that showed up on the river