Why do live poker players play trash hands?

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whenever I watch some poker tournament on youtube I see people who call with maybe an A6, or maybe even raise with a J8? Whats the go? On online people hardley ever do that, and if they do they are considered a donkey. Daniel neg whatever his last name likes calling with unsuited connectors. People say to play tight but live poker seems to be loose.
I'm checking youtube now and i see a thumbnail that shows someone winning with K8 vs Q10.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all hands are shown live. They dont show those many trash hands muck.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all hands are shown live. They don't show those many trash hands muck.
This.

As well, they don't show you the 3 hours where Daniel has been watching the players and getting reads on the table, it's hard to see the chip stacks involved, you don't know the texture of the table may have been created from the last handful of hands. Basically you are seeing a snapshot in time and not getting the whole picture of what's going on.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They have a lot of experience.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you James. I am frequently surprised at what cards the pros play. They are basically relying on their aggression and the opponent not to hit a flop it seems.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best pros play their hands to make you believe you're behind, thus making you fold somewhere in the hand.
If they have very strong hands, they play it a way to make you believe you're ahead, thus making you donate more chips.

If they don't succeed in that, they'll still always make you wonder what they have.

Now, if they were only playing strong holdings, they would be exploitable, don't you think ?

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whenever I watch some poker tournament on youtube I see people who call with maybe an A6, or maybe even raise with a J8? Whats the go? On online people hardley ever do that, and if they do they are considered a donkey. Daniel neg whatever his last name likes calling with unsuited connectors. People say to play tight but live poker seems to be loose.
I'm checking youtube now and i see a thumbnail that shows someone winning with K8 vs Q10.

A strong online player with a stack will raise and even 3-bet with those hands. I watched a hand history review of a guy who chopped a FT tourney for $32k, and he routinely played what you call trash hands, sometimes 3-betting all in with trash like J5o, depending on the stats of the player he's up against. He plays very well post-flop and gets a lot of bluffs through that most players aren't willing to try. Very creative player.

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have already seen some videos about how pro's teaching and the biggest diference most of then say is that a pro know how to win money without big hands.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A pro is counting on beating you based on his reads. The phrase play the player, not the cards applies to lots of live games.

dnegsisabadreg

dnegsisabadreg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You also have to remember that there's some value in playing strangely on TV. Having a reputation as someone who's loose and bluffs a lot can lead to a fanbase which obviously leads to sponsors. Also, once you're known as a sicko people will spaz out against you and call you with garbage - how many times did Tom Dwan get people to call river bets with the nuts?

B

babaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They play against each other a lot, they get a good read of opponents and occasionally play trashy hands to test how good they are against strong opponents. Ask Phil Hellmuth about trashy hands.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They can play the exact hands and thus can enter with weak hands

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you got to play the villain not his hole card itself.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because live is so slow that people get frustrated waiting for so long.

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because alive bluffing is pretty diferent.When you might see the players reaction and study them better you can win without hand so many times!

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Many of the videos on youtube are of short handed tables (many final tables) with large blinds and antes relative to the stacks at the table so you are going to see wide opening ranges or opens that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the cards but only position. That does not mean they played that way to get to the final table they have just adjusted their opens appropriately for the situation in most cases.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

online players play even worse hands

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On tube they show trash hands which wins, but not all, and online people play more trash than live, and it is true.

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because they can handle it. They have skills what others dont have.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been on tables where great players raise every time on the button and raise/call down being in the BB. Another player on the table will get frustrated with this type of aggression and try to do something. This is usually when the great player catches a big hand AA, KK or QQ and doubles up. The great players never stop betting and you never can put them on a hand!!! Johnny Chan videos are good to watch!

goddyvips007

goddyvips007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LIVE Poker vs online poker
-face expression -No expression
-Trust in dealer -No trust
-More bulfing -less compared

R

Rgregor

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play with trash hands its not a bad idea if you have conditions to do it. And if you know who are you opponents. id like to play with trash hands when have 4 or 5 active opponents on a hand and we have a small bet on preflop or just the bb value to pay.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases i think the pro's that play 'trashhands' think they have a big edge on the table and they can outplay opponents post flop. They are playing their opponents, not their cards if that makes sence. And maybe they are trying to get a table image of playing a wide range of hands.

D

Dartmatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think they are playing trash hands, just to get lucky. They are playing there opponents at the table. Some times just to get a read on them. Plus it helps in throwing off the other players at the table. When they see you play bad hands, they don't know when you are playing trash or when you're strong. But you will hardly ever see a good player go all-in on bad cards.

G

garpsc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all true, u can't take this as serious, because u don't see the all the picture

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands