Who is father of poker?

shibdevvar

shibdevvar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Who invented poker for the first time and when ?

BBr3

BBr3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mel Gibson, he put poker on the map with the movie Maverick.
Similar to when Tom Cruise put NASCAR on the map with his movie.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Texas is where it the game of "Texas Holdem" came from in the 1900's.
Not sure if they attribute it to any specific person but sometimes you will here it came from a town called Robstown.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just going off of memory in this post ...but that nobody knows who specifically created poker, but that it derives from Poku...and that the Chinese were the first to invent cards but the playing cards we use for poker were created in England which is why there are Queens :) Texas holdem was invented as the post says above...this is just going off of memory, don’t have time to verify and look up facts but anyone correct me if I am wrong :)

Here is some fun facts about why there are 52 cards and 13 per suit.
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-are-there-52-cards-deck-4-suits-13-king-queen-ace.html

Last edited:
tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Men have been playing forms of poker all over the world for centuries, long before poker reached the east coast of the United States. It is however there that modern poker was born, fruit of the diversity of its ancestors and of the diversity of the populations which emigrated there en masse between 1860 and 1920. Poker probably owes its etymology to the French game "at the time. "and it was imported by French people who had gone to Louisiana.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe poker has many , tens or hundreds of ''candidate'' fathers , who knows , the tests will tell the truth , lol :D

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Texas is where it the game of "Texas Holdem" came from in the 1900's.
Not sure if they attribute it to any specific person but sometimes you will here it came from a town called Robstown.
Poker was invented in Belarus. And my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother invented it...

D

Devspuch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker was invented by liars who really needed money! :):motz:

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, this me) well, and Daniel Nigrianu :)

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Mel Gibson, he put poker on the map with the movie Maverick.
Similar to when Tom Cruise put NASCAR on the map with his movie.
Not really. There have been lots of movies before "Maverick", where poker was the main topic.

Just going off of memory in this post ...but that nobody knows who specifically created poker, but that it derives from Poku...and that the Chinese were the first to invent cards but the playing cards we use for poker were created in England which is why there are Queens :) Texas holdem was invented as the post says above...this is just going off of memory, don’t have time to verify and look up facts but anyone correct me if I am wrong :)

Here is some fun facts about why there are 52 cards and 13 per suit.
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-are-there-52-cards-deck-4-suits-13-king-queen-ace.html

I think that you are right.

Men have been playing forms of poker all over the world for centuries, long before poker reached the east coast of the United States. It is however there that modern poker was born, fruit of the diversity of its ancestors and of the diversity of the populations which emigrated there en masse between 1860 and 1920. Poker probably owes its etymology to the French game "at the time. "and it was imported by French people who had gone to Louisiana.

I think that you are right too.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact nobody knows for sure but the theory that looks most accurate to me is that poker was invented in New Orleans around the beginning of 1800s as a combination of several other games played by the different nationalities living in the city at that time (French, Spanish, German, English and so on).

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are lots of but in my opinion Tom Dean is God of poker.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. How 'bout Texas Slim, Doyle Brunson and Billy Binion for a team who really got the ball rolling.

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol i like a lot of the answer in this post...both the ones that took the question seriously and those that ddnt

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure I ever knew the origin of poker. I'll read through to get some insight. Just by the subject title, Doyle Brunson name came to as the father of poker.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:hmmmm2::hmmmm2: :hmmmm2:
If you have a poker father, more importantly, who is the mother of a poker father?

Or the brother of the aunt of the wife (i.e. the mother of poker) of the father of poker is the father of the mother of poker?

And did the father and mother of poker father and mother know each other? :D :D :D

:icon_joke

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Who invented poker for the first time and when ?

mediadc.brightspotcdn.jpg