When is someone considered a professional poker player?

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Talk, how are you?
I would like to hear from you, From when can a player be considered PRO?

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When they don't need a day job...

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talk, how are you?

When they file their taxes and claim their profession is poker....
When they make more money from poker than anything else.

Sounds terrible if you ask me.

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When they file their taxes and claim their profession is poker....

When they make more money from poker than anything else.

Sounds terrible if you ask me.

Why do you think it sounds awful? Really tough for me to know, I love the game but if I had to rely on it, then it might become stressful which I guess could be bad. But setting your own hours, being able to take time off whenever you want, traveling for live events sounds pretty great

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not seen definition of poker pro but in my opinion it should be like every other thing which can be both hobby and profession. If your main income is from other source and you play poker for fun - it is a hobby. If poker is your main job and you earn most of your money from it you are pro poker player.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to play with all types of people. Different, but they have all people much in common. You have to learn to read a look and even think of the rival. Many people always use the same strategy, the others - have no strategy at all. Only the few really well play and know that they do. You have to unmistakably be able to define character and level of professionalism of players with which you deal.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
professional

Talk, how are you?

I consider that to be a professional poker player, you have to live on poker and for poker

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a few things. First your only source of income is from poker. Second, you have a home, car and possessions that you own outright(no credit debt). Third is you're ABLE to put money into retirement accounts or a stock portfolio to gain more capital in the future.

A

Aline da silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The program is a poker program in every move it makes, as well as the planning and task tools that other players play.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that when a player wins a lot of tournaments and wins in championships, you can say that he is a poker professional and he does not need another job other than poker so that poker brings him a good profit!

Mootizit

Mootizit

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When their income come solely from playing poker,and have the ability to adhere to strict brm.

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say being a poker pro means you derive most, if not all, of your income from playing the game.

But, like anything else in life, after a while, poker would just become what you do, as opposed to being something in life that is fun.

I've occasionally wondered if I would enjoy life as a poker pro, but its difficult to know without trying to make a living at it.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you think it sounds awful? Really tough for me to know, I love the game but if I had to rely on it, then it might become stressful which I guess could be bad. But setting your own hours, being able to take time off whenever you want, traveling for live events sounds pretty great

First off to each their own.
However, the things you mentioned are myths.

Setting your own hours? Nope, if you want to make money you need to play against people worse than you are. This means mostly weekends, and always at night.

Taking time off? I get 5 weeks a year at my job, it's more than enough.

Traveling to events... I do it all the time, no need to be a pro for that.

My point is that having a regular full time job is far better than trying to play poker for a living. In my opinion.

I still put in around 20 hours a week at the tables too.....

I suggest a full time job and poker as a second income.

good luck buddy.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Professional is a player who, due to his game, earns enough income to not work on other jobs, and not seek additional earnings.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone who is living the dream.:):):)

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a professional is one who lives on what he does, so if you live poker, you are a professional.

AL THOMAS

AL THOMAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not me

I think its about how much time you spend playing rather than winnings.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say when poker is your sole source of income and you are not homeless hahah

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe, that a professional player is the one who won several prestigious tournaments. A professional does not work on a regular job and earns a profit from playing poker.
Good luck.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only when he lives on money earned only by poker.

invisible10

invisible10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after a considerate amount of play and your confident your making enough money to make a living then you are a poker pro

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Talk, how are you?
When he lives poker, he pays his account exclusively for the money he earns in poker

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think a person would be a professional if (1) they win more than they lose and (2) they willfully profit off of their skill.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks to me that I have a long road to go yet. like all the point of view here.

N

nittany182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a professional, my thoughts... Make more playing poker than any other sources. If you have a day job, I would say 51% or more of your income regularly from poker play then eventually giving up the day job. I would also think multiple years with more income from poker than anything else. Don't forget the commitment to run your game like a business, and invest in the "business" (bankroll), your "employee" (liferoll), taxes/insurance, and hopefully "bonuses" (save for a good tourney, ie. wsop event).

As "fun" and lucrative as it sounds, I don't know if I want to be a cash grinder "working" 3pm Friday - 9pm Sunday, but the "vacations" while you travel a tournament circuit would seem enjoyable.