When do you raise A6 unsuited preflop if ever?

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just an example of a Ace plus junk hand. I want to know specifically when you would raise preflop in a mtt tournament.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me to play that hand, i would consider position, who i am raising, my table image and the effective stack(s) in play, this combined with my table image would determine the size of my bet...
It will also be important to note where you are in the tourney...if you raise, consider whether you would fold or reraise/jam if someone reraises your junk hand...

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how tight the table is but mainly its a insta fold

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short stacked on a short table. In position to collect the blinds. Tight table who you think will fold. Not a great hand but doesn't always have to be.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
A6 unsuited is a very dangerous hand to raise, the only way I might do it is if I am under 10BB or in a very precarious situation. Then I will raise with almost anything.

:ah4::6c4:

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To 3bet a player in mid position who has been opening with trash hands.
You 3bet them, they fold. You have an Ace blocker, too.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It depends on my opponents at the table.
Maybe if I have a short stack and I have a good position.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I would raise preflop with this type of hand would be on the button when nobody has bet before me and heads up. Other than that, you're asking for trouble I think.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s trouble hand, I have lost too many times with this hand that I will probably never raise again with A6

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When do you raise A6 unsuited preflop if ever? This is just an example of a Ace plus junk hand. I want to know specifically when you would raise preflop in a mtt tournament.
I have studied some of Alex Fitzgerald's work. If I remember correctly he recommends a Raise First In with A6o from the Small Blind. You should look into his advice to ensure I'm correct.

I personally would consider A6o from the CO, BU, SB if the action had folded around to me. Other things such as stack size and opponents tendencies would factor into my decision. In a scenario such as this I am raising A6o looking to steal the blinds... that is my goal. I do not want to play a pot, if I don't think my effort to steal will work, I'll fold this rag hand.

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it folds round to me I'll raise it from the hijack or after, obviously folding to any 3 bets though.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually would never raise with this hand. Offsuit I usually muck it under any circumstances. Suited it's worth it to see a flop. But I wouldn't really raise suited or unsuited with A6. A6-A9 is usually gonna get you in trouble. Offsuit junk it. Suited see a flop for very cheap and try to see if you can get a flush draw or trips.

I recommend folding this especially in the CC tourneys...

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only in late position trying to steal the blinds.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These hands does wonder in heads up games where lot of volatility occurs. In a normal mtts only in late position with no players before and a plenty of chips can give me a think to act with this hand.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are one on one with a maniac. Say, for example, the button has been raising 5 of the last 20 hands. And he takes another stab. Small blind folds and its just you and him. Here A 6 looks pretty good and you can feel comfortable with putting the pressure on him.

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not often but there is a few cases where I would. In late position to steal blinds if on a tight table and just fold to a 3 bet. If it's a bounty tourney and there is a short stack and I want to get a chance at the knockout, but again if somebody else isolate shoves then it's a fold. Also probably raising all in in late position if I'm in the danger zone, (6-10 blinds)

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A6 is almost always a strong enough hand to raise if it’s folded to you on the button or small blind. You can often raise it from slightly earlier positions as well depending on how tight your opponents are, the effective stacks, whether there is an ante in play and so on. This is a pretty hard question to give a straight answer to though because there are so many factors which go into the decision making process of whether you raise a hand or not.

Limited_Al

Limited_Al

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just an example of a Ace plus junk hand. I want to know specifically when you would raise preflop in a mtt tournament.
If I’m playing cash, I’ll either open it on the button, or flat if someone has already opened. If someone has limped, I’ll 3-bet them with this hand. Again, only on the button though, and it depends how loose/ tight the table is.

If it’s in a tournament, I’ll probably open shove ace high if I’m down to 5bb.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From late position (SB or BB) if nobody entered or there are just one or 2 limpers, the table is tight and i have 10BB or less i would try to steal blinds with such hand.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a very good A6 card, I play it neatly, and when I get a AJ-AQ-AK card in the tournament - then I raise it for me, it's a good card that plays great, but sometimes it loses!

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. I especially appreciated the specific examples. Feel free to keep the thoughts coming. I should have specified I didn't mean all in. Just a small or medium raise. I already use this hand for all in if I am about to be small stacked out of a tourney. The general consensus seems to be don't raise junk and this is junk. I get it, but that is exactly why I am asking the question. Have you ever small or medium raised this hand? Like say on a final table of a mtt to steal blinds? Other examples? That's what I am getting at. Thanks again for helping me improve my play.

invisible10

invisible10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
recomendable to raise those hands in late position or if you are deep stack compare to table also better if table is very tight overall

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often avoid this hand as it does not flop well a big chunk of the time. And when it does, it is still often behind.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in t BB and everyone lips, this usually shows weakness and will probably get you a fold. You get the blinds with a lousy hand.