When Do You Look at Your Cards?

Alukar3

Alukar3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is not for online poker but when you are in a table and the dealer shuffles the cards, do you looks yours straight away, or do you like to wait until it is your turn to act? Personally I wait until it is my turn, that way I can see other people when they are looking at theirs, trying to get a read or something

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always look at it when it is my turn.
:D

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to mix it up. sometimes one card at a time as I get them. sometimes both as soon as I get my second. sometimes 1st when I get it and the second when it's my turn to act.
I always thought it odd to always wait until your turn to act. I guess you don't have any tells whatsoever if you want to make sure the whole table is watching you when you look.

BLACKSOLDIER

BLACKSOLDIER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely look at immediately and often throughout hand

R

riko1970

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first i watch the players on the table look at there cards,there is always someone with a tell...

B

Beti

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually wait a few seconds to look at my opponents while they check their cards and then I go for mine, still before my turn tho

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When cards are dealt and then watch, play one zoom table))

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have been and always will be contrary to the norm on this. It takes little time to glance at your cards and you will not miss looking at other players when they are looking at their cards by looking at yours right away. All you accomplish by waiting until it is your turn to act to look at your cards is making sure every eye at the table is on you when you look at your cards.
I don't care what anyone tells you Pro or amateur you do not want opponents looking at you when you check your cards if you can easily avoid it.

S

Sourtubbie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a thing I change depending on the table,I used to do it the same always but found I was missing tells.

If I know a few players are slow in acting in front of me I watch them first and glance quickly to the people still yet to act for a quick read and then I look at my cards. If the guys next to me are looking like they are trying to get a peak I may switch it up as well. Really depends on the table dynamics,thanks to online I can figure out what I want to do pretty fast. Sometimes I feel naked without my mouse!

cr0thund3r

cr0thund3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think straight away is the best option..

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when its my turn. mu hubby says you give away less info

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Immediately look for is more time for thoughts.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look right off the once more on my turn to act..

S

SNOOPIDAO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alucar I look all the time for all the time the game changes

Railbird

Railbird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the table I wait until both cards are dealt, then I look at them together. For some reason I prefer to see them together instead of peeking at one and waiting for the other. I usually look while others are looking, then I look again right before I act. 1094

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id rather look at my cards as they are dealt to me n quickly look at others when they get delt.

id rather have 1 look at me rather than the whole table ... but it makes no diff to me.
ppl laugh at me and try and make my poker face crack

B

BJThomas204

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the right away. I like to see what I have so that when the others are looking at theirs I may be able to see how they react to be better judge the potential strength of their hole cards. And I vary from time to time. To each their own I think.

G

gkiss0719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually at the table look. Then my cards your own!
I always do that!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You look when it is your turn.

J

JT1013

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You look when it is your turn.

I agree with this, what are my reasons? I like to watch peoples reaction to when they receive there cards. I watch the facial expression, the way they move their hands, how fast they move after they see their cards. This is valuable information and sometimes even though I see someone call or raise in live I can make a read based on there movement of body, hands, and facial expression. This can be frustrating to other players because it can slow the game down, but as soon as it is my turn i will peel both cards up and assess my situation. I don't go as slow as possible, or even make deliberately long thoughts in preflop situations. Usually by the look of the other players, I already know what move I am going to make depending on my cards. Hope this helps.:jd4:

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ff

Hello all,i think the best time to see your cards is when is time to speak...check call raise.....so opponents cant see reactions ;)....and you can also see other players reactions and decide what cards they got

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the table. Generally I try to look as quickly as possible or when the action is on someone else. I try to watch the other players as much as I can memorize the cards and look at the table. Of course this is what I think I do. I probably give away more tells and do things I am not conscious of more than I think

M

mikey481968

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i look at mine when i get both of them it is hard for my to watch every one at the table i know some tells when people are betting

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at the cards immediately, have never had any problems.