What's Your Game?

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just starting to get really involved in playing poker, (I couldn't play over the last year so I just got my reading in and now I'm able to play).

Now I want to pick one game and stick to it, I've played a couple tournaments, a few hundred SNG's and thousands of 6 max hands. I don't really have the patience to withstand swings with large field tournaments right now, and I seem to be better suited to 6 max than SNG's. But before I commit my studies to 6-max I want to be more convinced. I'm looking for different games to try, maybe less popular and more obscure ones like heads up, heads up SNG's or bounty tournaments. I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks :)

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like bounty builders and knockout tournaments because i go all in easily and it can go either way which is a risk but if i win i make good money(if you have pokerstars account try the new game called unfold)

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good shout, I've not tried anything like that yet. I'm only playing on 888 right now but I guess I'll branch out a bit, pokerstars seems like a good place to start.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the KO hyper turbos 6 max there fun ,somewhat soft , they do not take up alot of your time and you can be quite profitable if you play your cards right , or the bounty tournaments are a great way to make profit .

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome, are there any sites you would recommend for playing these games?
Thanks

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like KO games but not 6-max and not turbo .. There are a lot of such tournaments on pokerstars and there it is possible to earn money!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are so impatient play turbo tournaments...

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has his own inclinations and abilities. You yourself are best to try everything that is on the sites and then choose. For example, I do not like tables with cash, but I play well in tournaments.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just starting to get really involved in playing poker, (I couldn't play over the last year so I just got my reading in and now I'm able to play).

Now I want to pick one game and stick to it, I've played a couple tournaments, a few hundred SNG's and thousands of 6 max hands. I don't really have the patience to withstand swings with large field tournaments right now, and I seem to be better suited to 6 max than SNG's. But before I commit my studies to 6-max I want to be more convinced. I'm looking for different games to try, maybe less popular and more obscure ones like heads up, heads up SNG's or bounty tournaments. I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks :)
I agree with fatshady21, try to play tournaments with a knockout, I like such tournaments in which you can immediately get money for knocking out a player!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
6 max is a good SNG to get good at. Your title sounds like a Bowie song.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday..pokerstars might be suited for you..lots of ko and bounty most at faster paces..good luck.....darrell

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone chooses which games to play on it, and here advice does not help, everyone has different opportunities and preferences that are easy to give to another, may not arise.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I recommend you, for the first half of a year or even a year, to play only freerolls.
This will allow you to gain valuable experience and save money. This will definitely be the best advice.

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am playing some low buy in plo plo8, stud with small guarantee,

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any specific long term goals? If you just want to play, then play any and all of these games. you will learn plenty by just playing. We all have our personal preferences, but some of the games can build up bad habits that will be hard to break.

For instance: if your goal is to play in a large live tournament, and you keep playing 6-handed, you have to recognize that a lot of hands that are good 6-handed, just may not be good enough at a 10 person table. 6-handed skills are great to have so 6-handed should not be avoided, you just have to realize what translates well to another game and what doesn't.

another example: Same kind of story with heads up. most players do not get to spend a lot of time playing heads up when they play a lot of tournaments, so it is tough to work on this part of your game. Again, you just have to recognize that the quality of hands is dramatically different here.

I apologize if this is all so obvious....

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any specific long term goals? If you just want to play, then play any and all of these games. you will learn plenty by just playing. We all have our personal preferences, but some of the games can build up bad habits that will be hard to break.

For instance: if your goal is to play in a large live tournament, and you keep playing 6-handed, you have to recognize that a lot of hands that are good 6-handed, just may not be good enough at a 10 person table. 6-handed skills are great to have so 6-handed should not be avoided, you just have to realize what translates well to another game and what doesn't.

another example: Same kind of story with heads up. most players do not get to spend a lot of time playing heads up when they play a lot of tournaments, so it is tough to work on this part of your game. Again, you just have to recognize that the quality of hands is dramatically different here.

I apologize if this is all so obvious....

No need to apologize that's great advice :)
I'm committed to poker from here on out so what I'm looking for is quick and steady progress, I'm getting about 15 hours per week of study and play combined, which I know isn't much but I'm okay with a small loss or breaking even for a few months until I get confident. Right now I want to keep taking shots at different games and trying different huds, getting my bearings. In a few weeks to a month I want to have a favourite HUD, PT4, HM2 and Copilot are the ones I've tried so far. A favourite game, right now it looks like 6 max or turbo SNG's, but I'd like to try heads up, KO and bounty tournaments.

I'm not putting monetary goals on myself just now because with how much I'm playing I wont gain or lose more than 10$ a week at the smallest stakes and as long as I'm playing well, staying motivated and progressing I'll be happy. I did think turbo SNG's were a bit fake compared to slower tournaments or cash games, too many all ins and no deep stack play so if i choose to play them I'll lack that learning, but I will learn to play bubbles very quickly there. I'd love to be good at heads up to be honest, and if it's viable I'll try and specialize there. Fast paced, mentally intensive, enormous skill cap and no excuses :)
Thanks again!

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am playing some low buy in plo plo8, stud with small guarantee,

I barely understand NLH right now but at some point I want to try PLO too, forgot about that, thanks :)

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend you, for the first half of a year or even a year, to play only freerolls.
This will allow you to gain valuable experience and save money. This will definitely be the best advice.

I'm playing freerolls as I see them on 888 but usually they're very fast paced and a bit of a shove fest. Luckily there are tiny turbo SNG's, 10c and frerolls for an entry to them I think, but I'm quite confident in my ability at 40c turbo SNG's so I can go for them too.

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
gday..pokerstars might be suited for you..lots of ko and bounty most at faster paces..good luck.....darrell

Sounds like my kind of site :D
Good luck to you too Darrell

Top 10 Games