Whats the best hand you have folded first hand?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All,

I have folded many good hands in tight spots in my life but this year has been crazy for the number of top hands i have been dealt for the very first hand of a big tourney..this year for example - i played the sunday million in february and was dealt QQ and was faced with a 3 bet and a 5 bet raise before the action got to me - it was 400 to call - believe it or not, i folded my hand..good job too as there was KK V AA at the table!

Whats the biggest tournament fold you have made for the first hand and why?

Regards

Glenn

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most memorable hand that I folded in a tournament when I was 2 out of 12 and the chipleader reraised another all in after shortstack went all in I folded JJ after timing out thinking about it I ended up winning over 11ooo dollars and the tournament for 1st but could of got knocked out in 11th or 12th as opponents had QQ and AK and no Jack hit.:)

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey Glenn...

I drove 2h to play in a tournament where the buy-in was $100, with about 80 people, 9 people at my table.

First hand, I'm small blind, first guy raises about 2.5x, 2 guys later 3-bets to about 8x, guy before me goes all-in.

I think about it a long time, but eventually I fold KK.

Everyone else folded, all-in showed AA. Guess it worked out.

The main reason I folded was that I didn't want to go home after one hand. Cowardly, perhaps, but a 4-bet all-in made me nervous enough that the guy had A-x, and with my luck, an A would hit the board.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ and JJ are the strongest hands that i remember i have folded from late position facing aggressive raise and reraise.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
My first straight flush was the best folded hand! It was with low cards and that`s why I folded it! After a few hands another straight flush occured, I played it, but the opponent folded when I raised!

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think might have folded Jacks to re-raises in front of me and recognising that there was likely someone ahead of me.

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA and only because player behind was on tilt, playing wild and couldn't risk at the moment....

Jane Franklin

Jane Franklin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10 10
I knew that my opponent had AA ))

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best handed folded

The best hand I folded Pre was Pocket Kings vs a 3 way allin preflop in a 565$ tourny

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I have folded AA preflop many times in satellites. I have also folded top set (the nuts) on wet flops already. Actually folded Aces preflop on Tuesday in a freeroll satellite. I was comfortably placed 20/60 with top 50 getting a ticket no need to take any sort of risk mission was already accomplished.

I folded AA preflop in the Sunday Million once a long time ago to make the money I would have ended up loosing that hand if I played it was AA vs AK vs QQ and the AK made a flush. Other than satellites this was the only other time I can remember folding the nuts in a regular tourney.

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ UTG, there were a few short stacks at the table which affected my thought process, as I'd usually play queens 99% of the time in this position.. see I didn't want to just call or 3 bet pre flop and be squeezed out of if more than 2 or 3 pushed and a re raise came in from a bigger stack in late position and if I went all in, it might mean a 3 way pot and getting drawn out on .... a raise or fold situation or put the short stack all in plus some for good measure situation but if they called there is a very good chance of one or possible 2 over cards to avoid depending if it's just one or two short stacks call my big raise/all in from their perspective.

Last edited:
T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best hands I am folding and will play rarely in a 3 way or more will remain the same pairs lower than Queens and all A-K and Ax never been able to fold Aces excepts in salty's

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The very first hand I ever got playing live poker was pocket kings, and I folded preflop because I didnt feel like I was ready for that yet LMAO

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a tournament where the buy-in was 55 dollars and I won almost 300 dollars in it, but in this tournament there were moments when I had to fold QQ-KK cards to get into the prize zone because 3-4 people participated in the handout played all-in and they had cards and AA KK and I could lose and not get into prizes!

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have folded AA preflop many times in satellites. I have also folded top set (the nuts) on wet flops already. Actually folded Aces preflop on Tuesday in a freeroll satellite. I was comfortably placed 20/60 with top 50 getting a ticket no need to take any sort of risk mission was already accomplished.

I folded AA preflop in the Sunday Million once a long time ago to make the money I would have ended up loosing that hand if I played it was AA vs AK vs QQ and the AK made a flush. Other than satellites this was the only other time I can remember folding the nuts in a regular tourney.

Hi Joeisi, we were tabled in the cc freeroll recently, was fun!

Your discipline in mucking aces is commendable and to be perfectly honest, having lost with rockets so unbelievably frequently of late I've decided vehemently I'll be playing them much more cautiously & mucking more often when those warning bells start ringing.. Lol

Hope to see you at the felt again soon mate & gl!

In regards to original post; can't remember folding kings first hand preflop but do recall mucking queens. Any further detail evades hazy recollection.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online it was KK in deep, about 100 players of 3500. I raise, then Reraise push, and one more reraise push. Max push was about 2/3 of my chips. And i dont want to play coin. First push show 66 and second push show KK. And what do you think.... 66 win... it was good fold, i feel that, but i was out 23... qq<ak...

Offline was QQ, also dont want to play coin for 2/3 chips.... opp show push 77...but i have feelings that i not win that coin...itm finished at end

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest tourney fold was also qq.

I bet 3bb from mp1. CO 3 bet me the pot with only a stack the size of the pot left. and then a tight nitty player on the button jams all in. It took me a while to lay it down but same situation as your story. The player who three bet had kk and the player on the button who 4 bet the cutoff had AA.

I hit a set on the flop and would have won but I made the right read and correct play. I was simultaneously stoked and upset about my decision to fold. That was probably the day that marked the transition from being a small losing player to a small winning player.

Its negative EV, but i always enjoy showing a bad player next to me a big fold and seeing their response as if I folded AA.

I love this game

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK after 4 players go all-in.I was right because one of them got AA.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could only fold J-J in the first hand of a tournament with 2 all-in behind, and it is curious the case that if I paid, I would have won

D

DjDen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, I collected the best hand preflop from early position to 94o, just called BB, got 4 more stakes, opened 949 on the flop, I checked, and 3 out of 4 opponents went all-in, I of course also called when they opened their cards , they had a LiveJournal TT and AK, the turn and the river did not change anything and I won a very large bank, that's so lucky)))

M

Matteobvb83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ in a 4way multi reraise preflop the other 3 players had KK AA AQ
if i played i had won because on the board was the last queen !! but another time similar situation i fold my QQ and AA KK AK for other players and nothing on the board

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Final table with 5 players left and 4 players all in. I folded AA. I ended up heads up with the winner of that pot and won the tourney.

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a micro limit player and generally when I play more expensive tournaments it is only through satellites with much lower buy that gives access to these. Once I was able to pull a seat for a big $ 44 tournament and in the first leg I came across KK in position. Big dream! Up to me 4 players enter limp and I raise default to tournament start: 3x + 1 BB per limp. BB call and SB, UTB 1 3bet and MP1 shove. At that moment I felt extremely uncomfortable, I used a good part of my time bank and I ended up opting to hang up the hand. Today in a similar spot would not even think so much: easy fold!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker